· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For luck with your son's recovery - Slaphppy7   Healing prayers for Henry - RiversGirl   DIY water chnager, nice job! - Slaphppy7   My heart goes out to you and your little boy.  He is so strong and so are you. - angelcraze2   Healing prayers for little Henry (superman) - Silbar   
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   

Red face My new water change system/equipment.

3 Not allowed!
    Hello all, some of you have been involved with/heard about my dilemma of not having any hot non-softened water at my house making bucketless water changes difficult.

Most recently I had been filling a couple 5 gallon buckets down stairs Dropping two awuarium heaters in them the day before the water was needed and then bringing them up stairs after draining the aquarium into two other separate buckets. This was better than what I had been doing from a heating the water stand point but was still not ideal.

Fast forward to today...I got enough 1/2" ID clear hose to get from the 38 gallon which is now in the basment over to my sump pump in the unfinished space along with a new syphon/hand pump and valve. Now to empty Wanter I just put one end of the hose in sump pump pit, open valve squeeze hand pump primer a couple of times and bam...syphon vacuuming the aquarium no use of buckets.

Now to fill it...I bought an electrical pump with 1/2 inch outlet rated at just shy of 300gph. Attach the 1/2 inch hose to it drop that beauty into a bucket of warm water in the back room of the basement and let the filling begin. That bucket runs dry dump another in it and keep filling. Zero mess and if there is any at all it's in the unfinished space I don't care about and in no time at all I have my water change complete.

It's not a python but considering a python won't work for me I think it's the next best thing! The only thing I can see to do better is to find a cheap 20 gallon tank to keep water in to use for my fresh water so that I can ditch the buckets all together.

100' of hose-25 dollars(only used half of it)
    New syphon with hand primer and valve-17 dollars
    265gph pond pump with 1/2 inch outlet-11 dollars

And now I can use my old syphon for the 20g QT tank.

might snap some pictures next time! I know this isn't for everyone, but I'm sure I'm not the only one that has a water softener prior to their water heater...
    Last edited by Mspringer; 09-27-2018 at 12:44 AM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome back! - Slaphppy7   Celebrating your amazing restoration work! - showmebutterfly   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

3 Not allowed!
    Nice! That will make life a lot easier. The easier it is to do water changes the more frequently you'll do them :)

If you find the water going back into the tank is stirring up your setup you could try to attach a sponge on the end to disperse the water more.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For luck with your son's recovery - Slaphppy7   Healing prayers for Henry - RiversGirl   DIY water chnager, nice job! - Slaphppy7   My heart goes out to you and your little boy.  He is so strong and so are you. - angelcraze2   Healing prayers for little Henry (superman) - Silbar   
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nautilus291 View Post
    Nice! That will make life a lot easier. The easier it is to do water changes the more frequently you'll do them :)

If you find the water going back into the tank is stirring up your setup you could try to attach a sponge on the end to disperse the water more.
    Tonight I only did like 4 gallons or something I was really just testing it all after getting it together but I didn't have any trouble with that as of yet. I think the head pressure from 50' of hose on that pond pump keeps the flow to a slow enough rate that it doesn't move things too much. Far less than dumping a bucket in did for sure! This whole idea came to me last weekend. Thus far it has worked out even better than expected honestly.

At this point changing 12-15 gallons of water to get closer to 40% would be a breeze previously even 8 or 9 was a pain!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome back! - Slaphppy7   Celebrating your amazing restoration work! - showmebutterfly   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mspringer View Post
    Tonight I only did like 4 gallons or something I was really just testing it all after getting it together but I didn't have any trouble with that as of yet. I think the head pressure from 50' of hose on that pond pump keeps the flow to a slow enough rate that it doesn't move things too much. Far less than dumping a bucket in did for sure! This whole idea came to me last weekend. Thus far it has worked out even better than expected honestly.

At this point changing 12-15 gallons of water to get closer to 40% would be a breeze previously even 8 or 9 was a pain!
    Years ago when I still lived at my parents I had the same issue except I had a 55g fish tank. I wish I would have thought of a pond pump as I was dumping 5 to 6 5g buckets into the tank every week or two.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    A DIY water change system is just as good as a Python, and many times cheaper...I'm glad you figured something out, nice job
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's a betta for you. - Slaphppy7   For your oscar heimlich rescue :) - BluewaterBoof   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    how about using a clean new rubbermaid trash can for your fresh water?
    Brian

I wish I had a Fish Wish Dish.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by bpete View Post
    how about using a clean new rubbermaid trash can for your fresh water?
    That's true. I thought about it. Maybe. See what I find. Thanks!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    A DIY water change system is just as good as a Python, and many times cheaper...I'm glad you figured something out, nice job
    Thanks!!!!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    Not all vinyl tubing is equal. I've used the vinyl tubing from home depot, and it much stiffer than the one on the python.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocksor View Post
    Not all vinyl tubing is equal. I've used the vinyl tubing from home depot, and it much stiffer than the one on the python.
    Especially if you buy the corded stuff, although it is pricey