· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For luck with your son's recovery - Slaphppy7   Healing prayers for Henry - RiversGirl   DIY water chnager, nice job! - Slaphppy7   My heart goes out to you and your little boy.  He is so strong and so are you. - angelcraze2   Healing prayers for little Henry (superman) - Silbar   
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by angelcraze2 View Post
    Did you mean to rhyme? Haha!

I also drain using gravity into my basement septic hole where the majority of the tanks are. My friend has a big 100g stock tub waiting for me to use for aging water. Once I get it over here, I'll just need a pump like that you have and I'll be golden. For now, I use my arm muscles lol!
    Cool! For me the pump I got rated at 265gph works well but for the quantity of water you are going to be changing I would recommend a higher rating likely closer to 500. From what I can tell that rating is at the outlet. After pushing water through 25-50 feet of hose that is greatly reduced. I'm guessing it's going to take close to 15 minutes maybe to add 10 gallons to mine. I will time it when I do it next time.
    ~Pray for Henry~

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the info. When I was researching what I'd need I saw something about 'head'. Meaning I need a stronger pump to pump up to my tall 120g. I was considering mounting the bin higher to help with that. I would be pumping straight about 35 feet and up to my 120g if I go that route. The other tanks are closer, but I don't want the big cart for just the 120g. I'll figure something out eventually! Thanks for the help with timing AnD everything.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For luck with your son's recovery - Slaphppy7   Healing prayers for Henry - RiversGirl   DIY water chnager, nice job! - Slaphppy7   My heart goes out to you and your little boy.  He is so strong and so are you. - angelcraze2   Healing prayers for little Henry (superman) - Silbar   
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   

2 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the info. When I was researching what I'd need I saw something about 'head'. Meaning I need a stronger pump to pump up to my tall 120g. I was considering mounting the bin higher to help with that. I would be pumping straight about 35 feet and up to my 120g if I go that route. The other tanks are closer, but I don't want the big cart for just the 120g. I'll figure something out eventually! Thanks for the help with timing AnD everything.
    Well I figure it's about time I try to help with something around here! Good luck!
    ~Pray for Henry~

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by bpete View Post
    how about using a clean new rubbermaid trash can for your fresh water?
    Got a 20 gallon container today for about 6 dollars. Seems pretty nice. I have it full of water and threw a heater in there set at 75 to match the main tank.
    ~Pray for Henry~

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Did you see this for keeping the bins from bowing?

I use the lid to reinforce the top border, just cut a hole or the middle out, but rope and two boards work as well. I skipped all the part about "water chemistry" but these two are too cute! It was posted by ShowMeButterfly in Nat"s 75g journal originally.
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 09-29-2018 at 07:20 PM.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    IMG_7618.jpgIMG_7619.jpgIMG_7620.jpgIMG_7622.jpgIMG_7623.jpg

Roughly 1 minute per gallon while filling. I did 10 gallons in 10 minutes.
    ~Pray for Henry~

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Did you see this for keeping the bins from bowing?

I use the lid to reinforce the top border, just cut a hole or the middle out, but rope and two boards work as well. I skipped all the part about "water chemistry" but these two are too cute! It was posted by ShowMeButterfly in Nat"s 75g journal originally.
    I had not seen that but it makes sense.
    ~Pray for Henry~

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    What thoughts do you all have on treating the water in the container. Should I treat the whole container each time I fill it and then treat the whole 38 gallon each time I do water change besides? Think it would be good to put a filter on the container of water for the sake of oxygen etc? Or maybe just run the pump I have in there?
    ~Pray for Henry~

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome back! - Slaphppy7   Celebrating your amazing restoration work! - showmebutterfly   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

3 Not allowed!
    I see you have a helper! I would think if you treated your container before you filled it back up you would be good to go. I've never aged my water so I can't help with if you need an aerator or not.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    Well I use an airstone, 1) to aerate and off-gas the water, 2) to keep it from going stagnant.

I boil a portion of the water on the stove in a pot to heat the aged water once it's at room temp, but I may use a heater in the future a few hours before water change.

I add Prime to the container and stir right before I refill the tanks. i try to use all the dechlorinated water so that my aging container stays fairly sanitized with chloramine tap water when I refill it. Some aquarists never use dechlorinators in the aging bin. I do wipe it with bleach (then rinse) periodically to sanitize. That said, I've left it aerating for 2 days, no problem. Not sure at which point aerated chloramine treated water would start to foul.
    -Kat