· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your first cycled tank! - Silbar   For good luck with the fishkeeping hobby. - Slaphppy7   

Default Overall thank you for help

2 Not allowed!
    Thank you to everyone who has been helping me through this fungal/bacterial mess of the past couple months. I apologize for not answering the responses to my posts. Ongoing illness has really sucked, pardon the language.

I finally put all the fish in a holding container and tore my tank down completely. At this point, I couldn't tell where the fish were in terms of illness. They'd been treated for fungal and bacterial infections, and most of the medications I had tried had discolored the water, rocks and sand, making it impossible to tell what was going on. Even water changes as recommended by each medication plus the large change between medications didn't help much. After a while, I started wondering how much of what I was seeing was real problems, and how much was imagined. The kind of thing that happens when time, worry and frustration starts to effect what you think you are seeing.

I moved them one at a time and did a quick check of each fish in hand. What I found was that the hardest hit fish had scars, but no current lesions. The Polit, which was the first hit, had started coloring about the same time as the fist lesion showed up. His facial lesion was between his eyes, right where his color started coming in. The fact that what I thought was a lesion had turned into bilateral, very light blue streaks, made me finally tear things down. In my experience, real lesions on animals just aren't bilateral.

I left all the sand out when I put things back together and fully expected my fish to die. Instead, they were all in surprisingly good shape. The polit was a light powder blue, with incoming iridescent blue streaks. There were no true lesions left.

The sand is probably going to stay out. From a visual standpoint, the tank is brighter as it sits on a white surface. i'm not entirely sure my Asei or Red zebra are happy not having sand to move around and customize their caves with. I've toned down the white light and added some blue light to soften the glare for the fish. Definitely easier to vacuum. Until I can recover, its going to stay that way. The discoloration in the tank had really changed the appearance of the fish. Hopefully that won't happen again.

I couldn't find anything that described the way a Polit's color comes in or when the change from Juvenile grey to powder blue occurs. The color change in my guy isn't complete yet. He was 1" when I got him, and is about 2 1/2" now. The tank is back to normal, all the fish in good color with some scarring on the demasoni ad yellow top. Nothing major. Anyway, thanks everyone for your patience and information.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Whoa, I'm glad to read it looks like the infection is finally healing up! I don't know what it's like to keep sand-sifting fish, but I agree, bare-bottom is much much easier to keep clean. I have no qualms with it.

The fact that you haven't lost very many fish through all this is pretty amazing actually. Have you only lost one so far?

Did you end up treating with kanamycin and Furan 2? I'm curious because it seemed like columnaris. I always like to take note what works for what. Thanks for the update!
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat