· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

AC's defender from spammers! - Boundava   Thanks for the rep and support - Silbar   Happy Anniversary! - RiversGirl   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Not a blue one, but still a betta. Congratulations! - mermaidwannabe   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    If I'm not mistaken, Sue has kept the Vietnamese variety, and they tolerate warmer temps pretty well
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   You will win this battle against the nematodes. - RiversGirl   teacher/friend - marc4   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   

1 Not allowed!
    A friend of mine keeps them in his pond in the summer, sells the babies in the fall and keeps the adults in tanks indoors over the winter. His tank temps are 77°F and they spawn in the pond and his tanks. Of course there pond doesn't get as hot where we are.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - Hockey nut   Congrats on the baby Dupe - Silbar   No Message - ApistoJoe   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, Sue has kept the Vietnamese variety, and they tolerate warmer temps pretty well
    Mine are Tanichthys micagemmae as opposed to the regular WCMM which are Tanichthys albonubes. There's not a big difference in temp requirements on Seriously Fish - about 73.4 for mine vs 71.6 for the regulars at the high end. I keep my tank at 74F because of the pencilfish also in there.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

AC's defender from spammers! - Boundava   Thanks for the rep and support - Silbar   Happy Anniversary! - RiversGirl   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Not a blue one, but still a betta. Congratulations! - mermaidwannabe   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the info Sue, I could do those temps in the winter time as described above, but no way during the summer, my tanks were close to 80F during the hottest last few months

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   You will win this battle against the nematodes. - RiversGirl   teacher/friend - marc4   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   

0 Not allowed!
    Oh no pencilfish require lower temps as well?
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Yep, maybe that's why they didn't do so well for me

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - Hockey nut   Congrats on the baby Dupe - Silbar   No Message - ApistoJoe   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by angelcraze2 View Post
    Oh no pencilfish require lower temps as well?
    They have a wider range of about 71F to 82F, so mine are almost at the lower end but they do fine there. I have them in a 2nd tank at 76F and they've done well there too. Should do well whichever end of the range you acclimate them to. If trying to breed them, temp may have more of an impact but I'm not really trying that.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    Yep, maybe that's why they didn't do so well for me
    I didn't know these didn't work out for you. They seem to have a wide range of adaptability.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by SueD View Post
    They have a wider range of about 71F to 82F, so mine are almost at the lower end but they do fine there. I have them in a 2nd tank at 76F and they've done well there too. Should do well whichever end of the range you acclimate them to. If trying to breed them, temp may have more of an impact but I'm not really trying that.
    Ok, nice to know! Sorry for the hijack, but I was always wanting some coal red or espei pencilfish. My temp is 80°F most of the time. I try not to go over 80°F, and would rather 78°F than 82°F. I think they'd still work :)
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by SueD View Post
    I didn't know these didn't work out for you. They seem to have a wide range of adaptability.
    Yes, down to only 3 or 4 from the original 10, and I haven't had them very long, either