· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Ok, yeah, I thought they were supposed to be red. I really don't notice a problem with breathing, but maybe it's because I can't see the fish in person.

My fish didn't lose color when they had nematodes, not until they were very ill with other secondary infections and passing away. Those fish were very thin though as well.

You've given it a break now since the Levamisole/furan/kanamycin? If so, and the meds are out, i would feed Metro and treat water with Prazi instead of Levamisole. I don't use antibiotics unless I have to, so I'd skip the furan/kanamycin for now. It's what I'd do if this was my fish.

One question, have you tried feeding frozen foods like bloodworms? When one of my angels stopped eating, he would accept live mosquito larvae. Many finicky fish accept bloodworms over other foods. It would be best to try and get something in him.

He doesn't look skinny. Has he just started this spitting behavior? When did his color fade?
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    This all condition has started by the bullying of the other fish he was with. He lost his color when the bullying got worse and then he has ups and downs with color, it was 2 week ago.then about a week after he started with the spitting behavior. I dont think that "tasty" foods will change, he has appetite, he is storming n the fodd when im giving him, it raelly looks like something is stopping him from swallowing. its been 4 days since i gave him the meds and the tank is out of meds since then. metro and prazi souns like a good idea.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    The fish started to display dropsi symptoms today.. yesterday i thought i saw a bit of scales pertruding and today its for sure.. He still isnt eating.. it been a week since the last treatment and im thinking to start a treatment now with furanol, what do you think?

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Im also thinking using praziquantl.. Im pretty sure the original problem was parasitses and i also read that some parasites can cause dropsy especially if you wait and not treating them. From what ive checked Furanol and prazi can be used together..What do you think?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Darn, I'm so sorry he is swelling up. An epsom salt bath can help the fish release fluids, but if it's infection causing it, then I don't know which to treat first. Dropsy is the secondary symptom I think. Nor do I know if a disease with the dropsy symptom can cause the problems with swallowing. I have no experience with a fish displaying dropsy, I'm so sorry!

Did you dose any meds after the Levamisole/Furan/ kanamycin treatment? Like the metro? In food or the tank?

I'm really not sure! Wish someone could step in for immediate help @discusluv? @Rocksor?
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas to you and your family :-) - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you too! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Congrats! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    What medications have already been given and for how long?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas to you and your family :-) - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you too! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Congrats! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    These are the symptoms:
    Scratching on objects in aquarium
    Shaking of head
    Not eating
    Spitting out food
    Rapid breathing
    Clamped fins
    Lethargy

And later stage
    Dropsy
    Pine-coning

Now, this looks like a classic case of gill flukes that has caused a secondary bacterial infection that has turned septic- this leading to swelling in abdomen as organs begin to become affected.

First of all:
    1.Do Epsom salt bath to treat swelling. I prefer to do bath rather than dips when pine-coning present. Use 1tsp per 10 gallons of tank water, Make sure to dissolve well in a small container of tank water before adding to aquarium. Leave in tank as long as needed, but do not exceed 3 days. Hopefully this will counteract swelling in abdomen and shut down of organs..
    2.Treat with kanamycin. This will take care of internal infection due to secondary bacteria. Nitrofurazone is for external bacterial infections- not internal. Wont help here. (This is the biggest issue you are dealing with ATM).
    3.Treat with praziquantel liquid ( active ingredient in Prazipro). Will need to treat for a full month to be effective- with this schedule. This is safe to use with kanamycin.

Praziquantel Treatment
    Diseases: flukes, tapeworms, intestinal flagellates
    Contraindications:
    It is not effective against camallanus worms however it has been used numerous times successfully for fluke infestations and flagellates.

Available as Droncit (veterinary clinics as anthelmintic for cats and dogs), Prazipro (nearby USA petstores and online sites), Medi-Worm (Goldfish Connection; US location), Goldfish Utopia, PondRx, and Pet Mountain.

Dosage courtesy of Thegab.org:
    Day 1 -- remove carbon, perform water change with vacuuming, and add Prazi to tank
    Day 2 -- add Prazi
    Day 3 -- do nothing
    Day 4 -- do nothing
    Day 5 -- do nothing
    Day 6 -- add Prazi
    Day 7 -- add Prazi
    Day 8 -- normal partial water change with vacuuming
    Day 14 - normal partial water change, then add prazi
    Day 21 - normal partial water change, then add prazi
    Day 28 - normal partial water change, then add prazi
    Day 35 - normal partial water change, add carbon, treatment is complete

Recommended dosage: 2.5mg per liter. Considering this is a rather mild treatment, it is not very difficult to overdose.
    Last edited by discusluv; 09-30-2018 at 09:08 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Awesome thanks so much @discusluv!!! Amazing instructions. Just want to say I 100% agree and I have eradicated gill flukes with PraziPro before. Good luck STA!
    -Kat

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    In the 6 and 7 day i just add more prazi without any water change? would it be ok to do water cahnges in between? for example in day 5? Thank you for the very inromative reponse!
    another questione, since i already gaev the furanol today ,should i add the kanamycin with it? should i water cHANGE IT OUT OR SHOUd i wait to the end of treatment and thenn add the kanamycin? and just making sure, epsom salt+kanamicyn+prazi is safe?

And i wanted to ask also if gill flukes is something that i visable in naked eye,cuz i looked in his gills and didnt see anything
    Last edited by SaveThemAll1; 09-30-2018 at 11:07 PM.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    @discusluv In day 6 and 7 the dosage is the same? isnt it building in the water to a high amount f the med?
    Last edited by SaveThemAll1; 09-30-2018 at 11:40 PM.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast