· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Exclamation Mystery Illness???

0 Not allowed!
    So a little over two months ago my family Betta went missing for a day. I wasnít home, but when I got there we found him hiding UNDER the base of a plant with HUGE pop eye on one side, and a slight patchy whiteness. We immediately did a water change, and began treatment. To be honest, we werenít sure he was going to make it through the night. The next morning, he was doing better, his eye was still huge but he was swimming around and eating well, so we did another partial water change a day or two later and all was well. Then, he began to stay at the bottom of the tank, and his neck was white, so we gave him a pea and once again he improved. The issue was the white on his neck, which we had read was likely stress, didnít go away. So we backed off for a couple days before he started to decline AGAIN. He would come up to eat, take the tiny pellet in, then spit it out and swim away. So we switched to flakes(protein, not plant based) and he took those much better. After a week or so of doing fine he started to get a white patch on the top of his head, but it looked different than last time and he seemed a bit less active. This time we began using a sort of cure all medicine but no water changes. We did one round as instructed and he seemed stable. The spot was dull, but he was more active again so we hoped he was on the mend. Only for him to get worse. He stopped eating yet again, and began laying on the bottom or in his plants, sometimes he would be propped up, other times he was on his side. We did two back to back rounds of the medicine again, with water changes this time, and he had no change. Not knowing what else to do, we came to the conclusion it must be old age or something we canít cure, and that he would pass soon and there wasnít anything we could do about it. Itís been two weeks, and despite thinking he was dead several times(he had BURIED himself in between the rocks on the bottom) he is still alive. We donít want him to die, so we are going to try another water change today and see what happens. Iíve been trying to feed him during these two weeks, even lifting him in my hand to hold him near the surface so he could eat, but he wouldnít even try. I donít know what to do, weíve been trying everything we can think of, but we donít know whatís wrong.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Moved to the Fish Diseases section.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

ďIf there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they wentĒ - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry your betta is not feeling well. Is this tank heated?

Have you tested the water for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? If so, pls post results.

Do you use a water conditioner? If so, which one?
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    I tested the levels before my water change this morning and the nitrates were a little high and carbonates a little low, but I already threw out the strips, sorry. I think this was caused by the medication we had been putting in there, so we did a half water change and added a live bacteria suppliment. The tank is heated and kept at about 78 degrees F, which is what we had all read was a good temp for a betta. We use the regular TopFin water conditioner we can get at the local pet store.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Ok thank you. I might reduce the temp by a couple degrees, maybe to 76įF in case this is a columnaris infection. Good on you for doing the water changes and adding good bacteria. Which med did you treat with twice?
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome back! - Slaphppy7   Celebrating your amazing restoration work! - showmebutterfly   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

3 Not allowed!
    Have you been vacuuming the gravel when you do your water changes? Also do you have a filter on this tank, and does it have carbon in it? Carbon will remove the medication from the water so you will want to get the carbon out of the filter while medicating.

If your nitrates are high after all of the water changes you have been doing I'm guessing you have some organic debree hidden somewhere in the tank that needs to be cleaned out.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Not every time, but every couple of water changes we thoroughly rinse the rocks(they are pretty big, with big gaps between them, not really gravel) and when we medicated we took the carbon filter and media out. Maybe I should get a new filter??

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    LifeGuard All-In-One, its a very broad spectrum since we can't really identify what the problem really is.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome back! - Slaphppy7   Celebrating your amazing restoration work! - showmebutterfly   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    If you took out all of your media you might have lost a lot of your beneficial bacteria since most of it lives in the filter media. If you have a test kit I would check your ammonia and see if there is any in the tank.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    It was very low this morning when I tested it and I added a Bacteria Supplement when I did my water change this morning