· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

Default Boof's attempt to breed angels

5 Not allowed!
    As of last night the eggs have been moved to a tank set up specifically for the hatching and raising of the fry, so I decided to move the discussion here in a new thread as opposed to continuing the documentation in my 90gal journal.

Yesterday afternoon/evening was a bit hectic. Was not really expecting such urgency when I got home haha

The store (Petsmart) did not have a sponge filter. I asked the girl cleaning the tanks if they had any and she promptly showed me all the filter sponges *facepalm* I settled for a bubble wand for surface agitation and water movement and ordered a sponge filter from Amazon since the sponge filter isn't absolutely necessary at this stage.

Tank was set up on the nightstand next to my side of the bed Got the tank filled with about a 50:50 mix of tap and RODI water. I would have preferred the majority to be RODI, but the situation in the main tank was getting very serious (more on that in a little bit) and I needed the fry tank up and running ASAP. This meant giving in and using tap water to help fill the tank as it takes a long time to make new RODI water. I have a 3gal bucket that I will be filling up with pure RODI water for the water changes, so the tank water should be staying fairly clean and I won't have to rely on treating the tank with chemicals at each WC.

Generic bubble wand is moving the water gently, and I have a brand new Eheim Jager heater keeping the water at a steady 77.9*F

IMG_3157.PNG

Took my Eheim 2217 offline and removed the intake tube, as that is what the eggs are attached to. Moved it over to the fry tank without any issues. By bedtime last night, I could see little dark spots within each egg!

This morning I woke up to most of the eggs being hatched and the babies are now officially in their wriggler stage! It looks as if some of the babies died after hatching, but I believe I'm still looking at about 2/3 of the original batch still being alive. It's all a guesstimation, but about 1/3 were eaten, unfertilized, or died after hatching.

I came home to a war zone yesterday. My big male was officially the guardian of the eggs, and was defending that corner of the tank very aggressively. He was corralling all the smaller fish into the other half of the tank, and placing himself between the eggs and the ghost knife. The ghost knife had me worried as it is easily bigger than the angelfish, and could have just bulldozed its way to the eggs had it chosen to do so. It was hovering about 6" away from the angel, and I was expecting it to make its move at any time. It was very obviously interested in the eggs.

The male was also getting physical with the female. They would tumble around with each other and slam into one another. The female had some small lacerations on her sides and the male was favoring one of his fins. Chasing them away from each other did not help, and neither did the removal of the eggs. The male was still standing at attention where the eggs used to be and the female kept trying to get to that corner (I am almost positive that the portion of eggs that had been removed/eaten up to that point were consumed by the female). In a final effort to stop them from killing each other, I performed a huge water change (about 80%). My goal was to distract them from each other as well as removing as much of whatever hormones they had been releasing as possible. It worked. The draining of the tank distracted them, the lowering water level caused them and the third angel to huddle together for comfort, and by the time the tank was refilled they were all back to their normal and peaceful behavior with each other and all the other fish in the tank.

So yeah, it was definitely more excitement than I had expected. I'm still a bit floored at the fact that they bred to begin with, as all three angels have been in the tank for a year and a half or longer. Now that the eggs have been moved from the community, everything seems to have gone back to normal.

@angelcraze2 I looked a bit into the microworms but wasn't exactly sure what to get as there were several different options and related products on Amazon. For now I settled on decapsulated brine shrimp eggs/cycts as well as New Life Spectrum fry food. Both were praised products for angelfish fry so I'm hoping they do well for my little ones once they become free-swimmers.

How would I go about removing the dead eggs? Should I just take a razor blade and try to gently pry them off the tube using the corner of the blade?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's a betta for you. - Slaphppy7   For your oscar heimlich rescue :) - BluewaterBoof   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    congrats on the batch, i would give you a cigar but I am not sure what color to get. BTW it seems that neither petsmart or petco carries much in the way of sponge filters, at least in store. i had almost the same experience at petco except they just pointed me to the filter section- like I don't already know where the filter section is.
    Brian

I wish I had a Fish Wish Dish.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    Oh yay!!!!! You are handling everything as I would! The lower the pH, the less chance of fungus evading. The large WC to remove hormones was the perfect remedy! I often see battle wounds on especially new parents, they normally heal no problem with clean water.

I buy my sponge filters off Ebay or at Big Als.

These are the microworms I use.
    https://aquariumtidings.com/how-to-culture-microworms/
    They are very tiny and you'll have thousands with one finger swipe along the edges where the worms crawl.

I always used a the tip of a wooden skewer to pick off the fungused/dead eggs.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Welcome Back! - Boundava   Here is a coral to tide you over until you decide what to get for your 40 - bpete   Sorry for the ich, you'll defeat it. - mch1984   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   

1 Not allowed!
    Congratulations Papa Wriggler! It sounds like you had quite the evening last night. I'm glad you were rewarded this morning with some survivors.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

6 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by bpete View Post
    congrats on the batch, i would give you a cigar but I am not sure what color to get. BTW it seems that neither petsmart or petco carries much in the way of sponge filters, at least in store. i had almost the same experience at petco except they just pointed me to the filter section- like I don't already know where the filter section is.
    Whenever a worker at the Petco/Smart stores approaches me:

5cEH.gif

Quote Originally Posted by angelcraze2 View Post
    Oh yay!!!!! You are handling everything as I would! The lower the pH, the less chance of fungus evading. The large WC to remove hormones was the perfect remedy! I often see battle wounds on especially new parents, they normally heal no problem with clean water.

I buy my sponge filters off Ebay or at Big Als.

These are the microworms I use.
    https://aquariumtidings.com/how-to-culture-microworms/
    They are very tiny and you'll have thousands with one finger swipe along the edges where the worms crawl.

I always used a the tip of a wooden skewer to pick off the fungused/dead eggs.
    Thanks for the tips and the link to the microworms! I'm gonna swing over to that site now and check things out.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by showmebutterfly View Post
    Congratulations Papa Wriggler! It sounds like you had quite the evening last night. I'm glad you were rewarded this morning with some survivors.
    I admit I was a teeny bit stressed out. Wouldn't have been so bad if I hadn't come home to a brawl in a tank that has been 100% peaceful for the last two or three years...

On a side note, I finally had some good roots on my new vals and planted them last night during the water change. The stupid ghost knife uprooted all of them -.-

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    He uprooted all your new vals? What a brat! They can be hard to keep down for sure. Sometimes I use a piece of floss to cushion the roots and gently stuff them in a large bio ring to anchor them.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Yup. Bought them maybe a week ago and they had zero roots so I've been floating them and waiting for some to grow out. Figured last night was a good time to plant them since I had the water level so low. Mr. Ghost must have been upset that I didn't give him much food last night and went through and pulled up all of the vals.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    My fish on occasion do the same thing when they don't like new plants. I planted some stargrass in one of the breeder tanks and my angel pair ripped every stem out overnight lol. I can't keep it in my 120g either

I meant to suggest some IALs in the main tank and nursery. I put them in the filter wrapped in pantyhose bags.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    This is the first time I've had a fish take up a grievance with my plants haha