· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

0 Not allowed!
    Ok, so not necessarily a bare tank is needed, just one without a substrate? There is nothing wrong with throwing tons of floating plants in there?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - ApistoJoe   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    I get the idea of bare bottom for maintenance if feeding a lot. Because I only had that one angel spawn that I saved and had minimal luck, I certainly can't say what's best. In cases where folks let the parents raise the fry and have success with that, are the breeders in a bare bottom to start? I know with my diamonds tetras, they've grown up in a well planted tank as did the one cory fry I had and a few years ago my plecos. Maybe angels are more sensitive or maybe it depends on how large a yield you're trying to get.

You could experiment with a future spawn if you're willing to sacrifice a few. Have a fully planted tank ready, with sandy substrate, seeded filter and maybe shake a few off the spawning medium and try some there and some as you're doing it now. Wouldn't the plants process some of what results from excess food? Or toss in some RCS to help with cleanup. I'd like to see if this would work but up to you whether the sacrifice is worth it.

Either way, it's a bit of work to get these guys growing.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by BluewaterBoof View Post
    Ok, so not necessarily a bare tank is needed, just one without a substrate? There is nothing wrong with throwing tons of floating plants in there?
    Wrong? Haha, well I'm not sure there's a wrong, but there's always the best that works for YOU. I had trouble with a heavily planted tank (the parents were in) I just find them dirtier and feel better about keeping the fry tank clean (being able to see all the dirt). I've let tetras, plecos and kribensis grow up in heavily planted tanks with good numbers, but it's somewhat of a struggle for me to grow out angelfish. I just really doubt they would ever make it without making a specific effort to grow them out. They must be more sensitive or something. Rams were even more difficult for me.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry, too late to edit. About throwing plants in, it's what I do. I think plants are good for fish, I like the look of them and they do not interfere with me keeping the bottom clean. Maybe some actual breeders would not, but I don't have any issues with them. Btw, I've bred different fish and inverts, but I only do it as a hobby.
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 09-25-2018 at 01:14 AM.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Healing vibes.  Read and rest your fingers! - RiversGirl   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holidays to all of you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! (USA) - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    In all honesty it's a mixed result.

Some days I get get results from a natural tank with fry. Generally really old tanks.

And other times just constant fungus.
    Vs bare bottom tanks with a but if moss then I can do a easy water change and add some medication if needed.
    Fry wise I find plants to be much better in the long run.

You should try the sump system like have done and run 4 or 5 small plastic tubs through a 30 is he gallon sump.
    Works easy as and cheap to set up.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I want to try that set up @mac! I don't think I have the skills tho. Ingenious idea to me! I've thought about it before, but never took action. I think with the small areas and lots of water, is perfect for keeping the fry tanks pristine :)
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

0 Not allowed!
    @angelcraze2

Ok so I finally received my mircoworm culture yesterday. How do you go about collecting the worms? The slip of paper that came with my culture said to use a Q-tip to wipe them off the side of the container, but when I tried that last night nothing really came off the Q-tip once I stuck it in the tank. Is there a trick to getting the worms with something without also wiping up the yeast/oatmeal gunk stuff that they are growing in?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    I just used my finger lol. I could see the tiny worms on my finger. Maybe give it a day for them to reproduce. There should be thousands crawling up the sides in 24-48hrs. There's not much gunk on the sides of you don't slosh it. It actually shouldn't be wet, just moist. It gets grosser the longer you let the oatmeal fester.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Great...the ole finger trick *barf*

The stuff they sent me was a starter culture. It's almost like a pudding consistency and smells heavily of yeast. They also included a pouch of dry stuff to make more when this culture dies out. I'll try to make the new batch a bit less wet than what they shipped to me.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah it sounds pretty wasted. When it gets smelly I start it over. I actually have two going at a time so my culture doesn't crash.

Btw, my friend used tissue.
    -Kat