· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    Ok André, yep, mama looks like a silver (can't tell from zoomed in photo, maybe veil?). I believe they say 4 stripes, two thru the body, one through the eye and before tail ;) I think you are correct, dad looks like a marble veil tail. There's something about his body color, it looks goldish or glittery. They both are gorgeous!

Here's my guess of the parents' and offspring's genetics
    It's taken from Angelfins genetics calculator
    Attached Images Attached Images
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

2 Not allowed!
    We have swimmers!!!

Did a water change and tried vacuuming up some of what I’m assuming is their poo. I tried to be extremely careful and used just a small tube so that I could be more precise and I accidentally sucked up one tiny guy that zipped near the tubing quicker than I could pull it away :( The bucket I was using was really hazy due to using it to wash some aragonite sand the other day and it was impossible for me to locate the guy I sucked up...

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

2 Not allowed!
    Lots and lots of swimmers this morning. The half that weren't freely swimming around the tank were on the bottom of the tank not so much sliding along the bottom but more like swimming just half an inch or so above the glass. Was very exciting. Mixed up a bit of New Life Spectrum powdered fry food and added it to the tank, and most of the fry that were swimming out in the open were interested and went for the tiny particles floating around.

I have decapsulated brine shrimp eggs/cysts, but I'm holding off on them for a few more days until the fry babies get a little bigger. The eggs are pretty tiny, but still look a little too big for the fry to eat at this point. The NLS powder is a very fine particulate that just seems a lot more suitable for the fry.

I also added the salvinia now that it seems to be stable and not going to crap out on me after sitting in the mailbox all weekend. I shot the above clip before I added all of it, so there's quite a bit more than what is seen in the vid. I think the fry like having it in there as I see a dozen or so of them hanging out in the fuzzy roots.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Welcome Back! - Boundava   Here is a coral to tide you over until you decide what to get for your 40 - bpete   Sorry for the ich, you'll defeat it. - mch1984   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry to hear about the WC loss. I'm glad to hear the littles are trying to eat.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    I always seem to suck up babies. I use an air line tube as a siphon, even put netting on it, still sucked up babies So you're doing pretty good! Man I miss having baby angelfish....

So you are only feeding the NLS fry food at this point? I'm going to pick some microworms up maybe tomorrow. I used red frogbit in my fry tank, it seems to encourage the fry off the bottom I think.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Yep. I was looking around at microworms and just never pulled the trigger as I had already spent a bit of cash on the NLS and the brine shrimp eggs (about $25 for the two of them). I know there are big benefits in using live foods but I just didn't feel like dealing with growing out cultures or setting up a hatchery for the brine shrimp at this point. Please don't judge me too harshly haha

Sooo...should I turn off my sponge filter and wait for the water to stop moving before I add the food? This morning the fry went after the food but it kind of dispersed across the whole tank fairly quickly. Wasn't sure if that was ok or if I need to try "training" the little ones to swarm a specific section of the tank for food.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Oh I'm not judging! I just didn't have good luck there last time I tried to raise angel fry, I haven't put my finger on it, but I thought it maybe because I let my microworm culture crash.

Did you get a chance to read the link I posted? I will be picking up some worms for 5$. I put them in a shallow plastic dish (actually two cultures alternating) with moistened oatmeal AMD a sprinkle of yeast. It usually lasts 3 weeks or so before it needs to be restarted. After the first purchase of 5$, it's not very costly to keep it going. Actually cheaper than prepared food to buy. Idk, I'm going to try live food again myself. I've never tried live BBS, I think microworms are a very close second, I noticed a greater survival rate (I think). That's why I was wondering what you were feeding. I have the decapsulated eggs to, but I'm not sure how nutritious it is. I agree, they look too large for freshly hatched fry. I find the microworms very easy to deal with and the babies eat them right away.

The powder, I sprinkle on the surface, and they usually eat it from the top. The bottom feeders (don't know why some stay at the bottom and others swim) will pick at the bottom when the food sinks. I've thought about the sponge sucking it up, but I see them eat, so I never bothered shutting it off. Although it might help with water quality if it is being sucked up. Don't know what to say......
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 09-20-2018 at 06:04 PM.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - ApistoJoe   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    I think I would calm the waters when feeding at least in the short term. The decap brine should be good and you can also use frozen baby brine shrimp if you have a LFS that might have that. Golden pearls are also an option. I have the 100-200 micron size and it's pretty powdery but there's even smaller ones of 5-50 and 50-100 microns

https://www.amazon.com/Golden-Pearls...sh%2Bfood&th=1

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for all the info, Kat and Sue! I just posted up an inquiry in our local FB group to see if there are any shops nearby selling the microworms. I've always been a variety nut (I probably have almost two dozen different brands and types of fish food) so I'm not sure why I've been dragging my feet on the worms.

That Golden Pearls stuff looks very similar to my NLS powder. My container says 200-300 microns, but the powder inside is very fine, like flour, so I think it is a typo. Some reviewers noticed the same thing and believe it is supposed to read 20-30 microns.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    @angelcraze2 @AmazonJoe @mac

Ok I know you three have quite a bit of breeding experience so I’m tagging you on this but if others want to chime in I do not mind at all. All feedback and suggestions are welcome.

How do I handle this issue long-term? I am meeting a local tomorrow to pick up a 29gal tank so that I can move the parents out of the 90gal so they can do their deed undisturbed. That seems like a very short term solution to a problem that is going to be repeating itself every three weeks. What do I do with all the fry? I came home today and was thrilled to see easily 75-100 fry swarming my 13.5gal Evo. It was a beautiful sight but then it dawned on me that I just don’t have the space to handle a constant flow of hundreds of fry arriving every few weeks. Do I try to find homes for them each time the parents spawn, even if they are only three or four weeks old? Do I provide the parents with a cone to spawn on and then try to catch them in the act and remove the eggs before they can be fertilized? If I leave one batch of fry with the parents and they spawn three weeks later and I remove the eggs, will the parents still care for the old batch of fry or will they lose interest in them as soon as they lay the next round of eggs?

The idea of raising them was so exciting as I have never bred anything other than inverts but now that the initial excitement has worn off I’m now full of all sorts of questions about the logistics of such an operation. I honestly don’t know what to expect. Am I getting myself into a murky situation or am I working myself up over nothing?

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast