· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   

1 Not allowed!
    It works when you need one in a jiffy. Then you can just shove the sponge in a HOB or canister when you don't need it and pull it out again when you do, lol.

The only stores that have sponge filters by me are little LFS. The big chains don't except for a kinda chain store I used to go to (am a lifetime discount member and they have 2 IL locations and one in Ohio) but to me they are @ss Adventures because that's how they treat their stock and customers. Its where I bought the 125.

Its a pitty cause they were the only local store that would on occasion have decent plants of some variety.

RE; the salvinia, the plants I got were more brown than green. I don't think they transport well. It just never recovered though I wished and hoped they would. The first was from Han, the second (3 varieties) were from Buce plant and the 3rd was at the aforementioned @ss store .
    Last edited by Boundava; 09-18-2018 at 06:19 PM.
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - ApistoJoe   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Like Nat, I made a sponge filter using an AC50 sponge I cut a slit into, some airline tubing and I added an airstone to mine.

As for the angel fry size, I think mine were only about nickle size (maybe even a little less) but I asked my LFS to take them for free as I couldn't keep them any longer in the 2.5g and didn't want to set up another tank. If you grow them out more, just make sure there's enough height to the tank to ensure their top fin grows properly.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

1 Not allowed!
    Hmmmmm... I'll have to wait and see how it all pans out, I guess. I think one of the videos I was watching the other evening said that the top fins don't start growing out until a couple of months in, but I could be remembering that incorrectly. @angelcraze2?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   

2 Not allowed!
    Pet supplies plus is having their $1/gallon sale-at least in IL...a 20 H or 29 would be good...
    Last edited by Boundava; 09-18-2018 at 07:41 PM.
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by BluewaterBoof View Post
    Hmmmmm... I'll have to wait and see how it all pans out, I guess. I think one of the videos I was watching the other evening said that the top fins don't start growing out until a couple of months in, but I could be remembering that incorrectly. @angelcraze2?
    It's been a long time since I've watched babies grow up, but I think I can see dorsal fins sprouting by the 3rd week.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    Any idea how old/big they need to be in order for shops or locals to take them in?
    They might take them in quite tiny, like 4 months old. Have you ever seen the 'small' angelfish at PetSmart? The thing is, depending on the genetics, they may only sell them for 5$ ea. Bigger angelfish are also prettier with more color and better developed. They go for more, adults are the most expensive with exception to a proven pair of angels.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

2 Not allowed!
    I don't think they have any fancy genetics going on. The daddy is a big ole marble and the mommy is a silver. At least, I think she's a silver. Silvers are like zebras but only have two body stripes and a third stripe through the eye, right?

Not really looking to make any kind of money off these guys. First and foremost I just want to give some babies a chance at life. After coming home to the chaos in the tank last week, I don't doubt that things would have gotten really ugly for both the eggs and the other fish in the tank if I hadn't removed them when I did haha

Here are the parents. I don't think the offspring can be worked out without knowing what the grandparents were, right? The only experience I have with genetics was when our professor touched on them briefly in my Bio 101 class like 15 years ago in college, so my understanding of it is essentially zilch hahaha

IMG_3208.PNG
    IMG_3209.PNG

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - ApistoJoe   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    Here's a not-so-great photo and one video of mine. I had a hard time focussing. Go to about the 30 sec mark near the end of the video for a clearer look. But you'll see that the fins develop really early on.

Attached Images Attached Images

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Awwww they are cute!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by SueD View Post
    Here's a not-so-great photo and one video of mine. I had a hard time focussing. Go to about the 30 sec mark near the end of the video for a clearer look. But you'll see that the fins develop really early on.

That's awesome Sue! How cute are they? Thanks for sharing that :)
    -Kat

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast