· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

0 Not allowed!
    Hmmmm...that doesn't sound too promising, Sue. It's my first attempt with it as I was looking to try something a bit different than duckweed, frogbit, and water lettuce. I've had great experiences with all of those - even the duckweed, which many people despise - but I'm always on the lookout for new experiences haha

I have no idea how plants will fare in this tank. It is the Fluval Sea Evo and I am currently using the stock light, which is designed for saltwater/corals. It is very high K spectrum with a pretty sterile stark white appearance. I have a couple more options I can use for the tank. I have an old Current Sat+ and a 30" Finnex Stingray that I can experiment with, but that would require removing the hood. Not sure if I'm too keen on that idea. Our three dogs sleep in our bedroom and also free roam in there when we are out, so I prefer to keep the hood to not only discourage them from trying to get into the tank but to also prevent dog hair from getting in there.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - ApistoJoe   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    You may have a different experience than I have had. Will be interested to see. Obviously the guy selling it to me has great luck because the bunch he sent was very healthy and nice looking. I also got some frogbit from him which is in one of my 20g tanks - also under one of the older FugeRays - and this is doing great. I had bought frogbit from him before and it took off under a Stingray light but I had broken this tank down and tossed it because it was mixed with too much duckweed (not from him, but from me transferring it somehow). I don't mind duckweed either. It's easy to control unless it's mixed up with something else.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

1 Not allowed!
    Babies!!!!!!!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Welcome Back! - Boundava   Here is a coral to tide you over until you decide what to get for your 40 - bpete   Sorry for the ich, you'll defeat it. - mch1984   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   

2 Not allowed!
    Oh my goodness! They're so tiny and there are so many of them!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - ApistoJoe   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    So wonderful! What size tank are they currently in and do you have something large enough to move them to as necessary?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's a betta for you. - Slaphppy7   For your oscar heimlich rescue :) - BluewaterBoof   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    heee, they are cute little things, as far as cute goes with fish.
    Brian

I wish I had a Fish Wish Dish.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by SueD View Post
    So wonderful! What size tank are they currently in and do you have something large enough to move them to as necessary?
    They are in a 13.5 gal, which is like 22x12x12. It's not the best for growing them out, but it is what I had on hand when this all started going down last week haha

I'm hoping to have a larger tank set up to move them into once they start getting larger, but I'm not entirely sure what that will be. I guess that all depends on how many actually survive through this process. If only a few make it, I'm hoping I can keep them in this tank long enough to where they can be transferred back to the 90g.

Any idea how old/big they need to be in order for shops or locals to take them in?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   

3 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by SueD View Post
    I got some of this Salvinia Cucullata several months ago from a seller on Aquabid who I've bought from before. Plants came in really nice and healthy, nice quantity. But for some reason, they've only done well in one tank and just melted away in another. They were in my Spec V tanks, one of which has the original light - these melted - and the other has an older Finnex FugeRay - these are doing OK. I'm starting to see a little die off here, too.

I'm going to try moving part of a clump to one of my larger tanks and see what happens there and maybe to my 5.5g that I'm starting up to QT some new fish. This tank has a Stingray on it.

Hope you have better luck than I've had so far. It's a nice looking floater.
    I had the same experience with 3 different varieties of salvinia, its gorgeous but doesn't like my waters.

Quote Originally Posted by BluewaterBoof View Post
    Babies!!!!!!!

Wow, tha'ts a bunch of little ones, congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by BluewaterBoof View Post
    Whenever a worker at the Petco/Smart stores approaches me:

Attachment 56386

Yup they are mostly ignorant on anything other than store layout, lol.

BTW an easy way to have made a sponge filter would have been to get one of the sponge media inserts and just cut a long slit in the middle and shoved some airline tubing in. Its what I did when I threw together a small QT for some khulis. Worked very well, matter of fact it is still working in the same container-I just shoved all my extra susswasertang in the tub.
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    That sounds like a great DIY option, Nat! My new sponge filter came in yesterday so that's already set up and bubbling happily away, but I will definitely store your design away in my mental file cabinet for future use!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Not too thrilled to hear that Nat didn't have the best results with the salvinia, either. Hmmmm...

I currently have the chunks floating in my 90g. They didn't look so great after sitting in the hot parcel locker here at work all weekend, and I was hesitant to toss them directly into the fry tank in case they started to decay. I'll keep an eye on them for a few days.

Still boggles my mind a bit that Han would ship the plants out Thursday evening. I don't know any other sellers, freshwater and saltwater, that ship things beyond Wednesday due to the problems with weekends and delayed delivery.

I'm wondering what it is that was making it so difficult for you ladies to keep. I have pulled it up in FlowGrow's database as that is usually my go-to for plant care, and it is listed as fairly easy. It needs some good light, but apparently tolerates a wide range of hardness and temperature.