· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - ApistoJoe   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    So glad you're going to try raising some angel fry. It's a bit nerve wracking but fun. Good luck and keep us posted, of course.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

2 Not allowed!
    I'm hoping I have some success. The more the better, but given it's my first attempt I'll be happy with any yield as long as it isn't zero haha

I have the tank set up right next to my side of the bed, so I'll be able to see the babies swimming around as I lay in bed reading at night

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - AmazonJoe   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - AmazonJoe   

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    What a nice (exhausting) surprise to come home to...how much sleep did you get last night, lol

Congrats on the fry, good luck with them

Kat will guide you well, she knows her angels.

And I assume it's gonna happen again in the 90G, so consider this your trial run
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

3 Not allowed!
    Thank you, gentlemen!

Not knowing what to expect, I was greeted with another surprise that caused me some concern when I got home. Most of the babies had separated themselves from the tube that they were attached to and are now on the bottom of the tank. Now I’m going to dig out something like the skewer Kat has suggested and work on removing the dead eggs before they have a chance to do grow fungus and mess with the babies.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on the new salties - Slaphppy7   Have a clownfish! - Slaphppy7   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   A bit of good luck to get you through Irma. - Taurus   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Congrats Andre, looking forward to tagging along with this adventure.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - ApistoJoe   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by BluewaterBoof View Post
    Thank you, gentlemen!

Not knowing what to expect, I was greeted with another surprise that caused me some concern when I got home. Most of the babies had separated themselves from the tube that they were attached to and are now on the bottom of the tank. Now I’m going to dig out something like the skewer Kat has suggested and work on removing the dead eggs before they have a chance to do grow fungus and mess with the babies.

At this stage, the parents would be picking them up as they fall and putting them back on the original spawn site. You may end up with some "belly sliders". Read the 2nd post on the page which explains this term and causes

https://www.tropicalaquarium.co.za/t...sliders.14952/

But in this article from Angels Plus, they say they that they deliberately shake them off the spawning site once hatched.

http://www.angelsplus.com/ArticleBreeding.htm
    Last edited by SueD; 09-15-2018 at 06:27 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    Thank you, Sue. I had read that second link before, but that one discussing belly sliders was very interesting.

Saturday the babies were the same as before; the majority in a large group in the middle of the tank, wiggling away and in no discernible orientation. By yesterday morning, most of the fry had spread themselves out across the bottom of the tank, attached to the glass by their heads and with their tails pointing downstream (the bubble wand along the back of the tank has created a very gentle gyre motion in the tank, with the water slowly moving across the bottom of the tank, front to back).

I'll try to get a good video of them this evening, but the fry have already changed quite a bit in the last couple of days. What used to look like sperm cells with wiggly tails now has a definitive body, obvious eyes, long tail, and the yolk sac looks more like a little belly that is shrinking very quickly. At this rate, I am anticipating that the sacs will be exhausted by tomorrow and the fish will detach from the glass and start swimming in the search for food.

If all goes as expected, tomorrow will mark the beginning of the hard work portion of raising the fry. It appears that all hatched fry are still alive at this point, but I'm bracing myself for a rising mortality rate in the next stage of the rearing process as the fry begin to depend on food supplementation as well as constant water changes to keep the water pristine.

I received some Salvinia Cucullata today from Han. A bit frustrated as for some reason he decided to mail it out Thursday evening so it showed up at my office over the weekend. Not too happy that it spent all weekend in a metal parcel box with 90*F weather...

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you!  Miss you at the forum. - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   
    Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Silbar   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Silbar   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - Silbar   

1 Not allowed!
    Congrats on this new adventure and good luck. I will be following along.
    Sil's 2nd Time Around 75G...Journal
    Sil's 75G...Journal
    Sil's 20L...Journal
    Sil's 10G...Journal

RIP Deb, we miss you.

Real courage is moving forward when the outcome is uncertain~~Fortune Cookie

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    I got some of this Salvinia Cucullata several months ago from a seller on Aquabid who I've bought from before. Plants came in really nice and healthy, nice quantity. But for some reason, they've only done well in one tank and just melted away in another. They were in my Spec V tanks, one of which has the original light - these melted - and the other has an older Finnex FugeRay - these are doing OK. I'm starting to see a little die off here, too.

I'm going to try moving part of a clump to one of my larger tanks and see what happens there and maybe to my 5.5g that I'm starting up to QT some new fish. This tank has a Stingray on it.

Hope you have better luck than I've had so far. It's a nice looking floater.