· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For luck with your son's recovery - Slaphppy7   Healing prayers for Henry - RiversGirl   DIY water chnager, nice job! - Slaphppy7   My heart goes out to you and your little boy.  He is so strong and so are you. - angelcraze2   Healing prayers for little Henry (superman) - Silbar   
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   

Default Long Fin Serpae Tetras With Standards?

0 Not allowed!
    Does anyone have any experience mixing the 2? All the long finned Serpae Tetras I ever see at the stores looked very fin nipped, do they typically look like this or do they get to looking better even though they are known to be a nippy breed? Videos I have watched make it appear that they school together typically.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    They are the same Hyphessobrycon tetra family, so they should shoal together, but they could definitely look more nipped up due to their longer fins. I think you'll always see some degree of nipping with them, it would just be reduced possibly.
    I did read at one point that the long finned variety was less nippy, but I'm not sure of its validity.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For luck with your son's recovery - Slaphppy7   Healing prayers for Henry - RiversGirl   DIY water chnager, nice job! - Slaphppy7   My heart goes out to you and your little boy.  He is so strong and so are you. - angelcraze2   Healing prayers for little Henry (superman) - Silbar   
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by angelcraze2 View Post
    They are the same Hyphessobrycon tetra family, so they should shoal together, but they could definitely look more nipped up due to their longer fins. I think you'll always see some degree of nipping with them, it would just be reduced possibly.
    I did read at one point that the long finned variety was less nippy, but I'm not sure of its validity.
    Not sure if you saw the other thread but I'm looking at getting a 38 gallon tank. When I do I'm not looking to add much cause I'm wanting a slightly less crowded tank but was thinking of adding one more cory and possibly a couple more serpae to the 6 I have now. I like the look of the standards but I also think that the long finned stand out more from a distance/look bigger. Then again if I add 3 more standards and they get along well with the picky 6 that I have now then maybe 9 standards would show up and be a bit more active? I tried adding 3 before from a different pet store and they were basically shunned by the 6 I have and they slowly died off one at a time.

The danios have worked excellent with the serpaes though and they are active to the point of being border line psychotic lol.
    Last edited by Mspringer; 09-11-2018 at 11:38 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    And I guess I wasn't neccisarily looking to know if they would nip less but to know if beingnwith standards and then both being on the nippy side would they always look nippy?

I'm open to ideas on what would work/look the best.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    And I don't want it to look tacky, just want the most active good looking and happy tank possible.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome back! - Slaphppy7   Celebrating your amazing restoration work! - showmebutterfly   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    If you didn't try this before rearrange the scape, and then blackout the tank for a day after you add the new fish. That might make the 6 tetras that you have now accept additions to the school better.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on the Platy fry - Silbar   Congrats on the shrimp! - Silbar   I loved the vid - Silbar   sfsamm - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    Serape aren't one I'm particularly knowledgeable about but in general adding to the school should decrease the evidence of nipping. Having kept some form of danios for ages now I can say that I always know when I need to add more as they can be jerks when there's not enough of themselves to keep themselves occupied. Plus any that do tend to be a bit more jerky than others have that many more fish to chase around lol.

Also if you can sex them (I haven't a clue how with serape in particular) but adding more females than males to any shoal tends to keep things toned down quite a bit with nippiness. :)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nautilus291 View Post
    If you didn't try this before rearrange the scape, and then blackout the tank for a day after you add the new fish. That might make the 6 tetras that you have now accept additions to the school better.
    I didn't try that. So maybe when I get the new tank it might be a good time to try?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by sfsamm View Post
    Serape aren't one I'm particularly knowledgeable about but in general adding to the school should decrease the evidence of nipping. Having kept some form of danios for ages now I can say that I always know when I need to add more as they can be jerks when there's not enough of themselves to keep themselves occupied. Plus any that do tend to be a bit more jerky than others have that many more fish to chase around lol.

Also if you can sex them (I haven't a clue how with serape in particular) but adding more females than males to any shoal tends to keep things toned down quite a bit with nippiness. :)
    I beleive that a good chunk of mine are females but it isn't easy to tell. Regarding nippiness mine don't seem bad at all other than when it comes to fighting over the pellets I drop in for the cories that are in the tank. Still haven't quite figured that out yet but as of now things seem to be getting better in regard to that so I'm going to stick with what I'm doing for a while and continue to monitor. What I'm really trying to figure out is if I should add to the school once I get the bigger tank, if I do how many and would it look better to get more standards or to add some long fins to the mix. Then again another part of me thinks the more cories I have compared to the serpae the more the bullying or fighting(if there is any) will be spread around.

Just trying to come up with what looks the best and results in the happiest fish.

For those of you that don't know current stock in my 29 is...

5 albino cory
    6 serpae tetra
    9 zebra danio

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on the Platy fry - Silbar   Congrats on the shrimp! - Silbar   I loved the vid - Silbar   sfsamm - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    You could add another 5-6 each of Cories and Serape and not have bioload issues in the new tank! Just don't add them all at once or immediately after swapping tanks. :)

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast