· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For luck with your son's recovery - Slaphppy7   Healing prayers for Henry - RiversGirl   DIY water chnager, nice job! - Slaphppy7   My heart goes out to you and your little boy.  He is so strong and so are you. - angelcraze2   Healing prayers for little Henry (superman) - Silbar   
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by angelcraze2 View Post
    I think adding 4 LF serpeas to the 6 standard fins would be ok. How many did you add at once when the school slowly killed the newbies? The thing is, I don't feel 2 tetras make a big difference with the bioload. If they are smaller anD you really don't want 6 more serpeas, I would rehome two later. The more added (especially if they are much smaller) the better.

What I mean by work with it is most ppl don't have to worry about adding fish with tetras. These are bit of a mix between tetra and cichlid. Or more like their cousin the piranha but smaller. They are fun to work with, but unlike other tetras.
    I added 3. I'm not completely convinced that those 3 weren't sick or something when I got them. They seemed to stress very easily and over the course of about 2-2.5 weeks they died off.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For luck with your son's recovery - Slaphppy7   Healing prayers for Henry - RiversGirl   DIY water chnager, nice job! - Slaphppy7   My heart goes out to you and your little boy.  He is so strong and so are you. - angelcraze2   Healing prayers for little Henry (superman) - Silbar   
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   

1 Not allowed!
    I think adding 4 LF serpeas to the 6 standard fins would be ok. How many did you add at once when the school slowly killed the newbies? The thing is, I don't feel 2 tetras make a big difference with the bioload. If they are smaller anD you really don't want 6 more serpeas, I would rehome two later. The more added (especially if they are much smaller) the better.

What I mean by work with it is most ppl don't have to worry about adding fish with tetras. These are bit of a mix between tetra and cichlid. Or more like their cousin the piranha but smaller. They are fun to work with, but unlike other tetras.
    So your saying if I'm doing 4 why not just do 6? They are big for a tetra. As I said before I was really just hoping to keep the stock to a minimum in case I'm forced to miss a water change or something here and there.
    Last edited by Mspringer; 09-12-2018 at 06:44 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by sfsamm View Post
    I think it'd work just fine :)
    Cool!

So right now I'm the 29 gallon aq advisor has me at 29% stocked with

5 albino corys
    6 serpae tetra
    9 zebra danios.

Once I get the 38 if I want to keep the stocking on the lighter side what are you suggestions I add?

1 cory, 4 serpae? That puts me at 88% stocked according to aq advisor which is obviously just an estimate. Like I said before I'm just wanting to not stock to heavy so that if I'm forced to miss a water change here or there it isn't the end of the world. Even 88% is higher than I want to be really. If I put the current stock from the 29 into the 38 it has me at 76%

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mspringer View Post
    So your saying if I'm doing 4 why not just do 6? They are big for a tetra. As I said before I was really just hoping to keep the stock to a minimum in case I'm forced to miss a water change or something here and there.
    Oh ok, if you're not sure the original serpeas didn't nip them to death (secondary issues) than try it, sure. If they seem to go after the newbies, I would shake up the decor again.

My experience adding 6 smaller head and tail light tetras to my group of 9 serpeas didn't end well. They all died from finrot. Of course I was a newbie back then. I just suggest you watch closely, especially at first.
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 09-12-2018 at 07:06 PM.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on the Platy fry - Silbar   Congrats on the shrimp! - Silbar   I loved the vid - Silbar   sfsamm - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mspringer View Post
    Once I the 38 if I want to keep the stocking on the lighter side what are you suggestions I add?

1 cory, 4 serpae? That puts me at 88% stocked according to aq advisor which is obviously just an estimate. Like I said before I'm just wanting to not stock to heavy so that if I'm forced to miss a water change here or there it isn't the end of the world. Even 88% is higher than I want to be really. If I put the current stock from the 29 into the 38 it has me at 76%
    Add another filter and that number would change... That's the thing with aqadvisor it's malleable :)

I'm not great at low stocking I tend to run on the high side myself lol but you're going to see around 25% less nitrAtes at the end of the week vs what you see now. So if you're comfortably below 40 (I image its a push for you to hit 20 in a week lol) then a bigger tank will read even less. So to keep a similar bioload you should be able add 20-30% more to the larger tank assuming your filter is adequate and see minimal change in parameters at weeks end. So I think you could add 1-3 Cories and 3-4 serape in the larger tank without seeing much of a change at weeks end and not having to do much differently than you do now once everything is settled of course. :)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on the Platy fry - Silbar   Congrats on the shrimp! - Silbar   I loved the vid - Silbar   sfsamm - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    That is about clear as mud now I've re-read it... I got interrupted twice responding lol if I need to clarify what I was saying let me know.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Oh ok, if you're not sure the original serpeas didn't nip them to death (secondary issues) than try it, sure. If they seem to go after the newbies, I would shake up the decor again.

My experience adding 6 smaller head and tail light tetras to my group of 9 serpeas didn't end well. They all died from finrot. Of course I was a newbie back then. I just suggest you watch closely, especially at first.
    It definitely wasn't because of being nipped to death it appeared to be stress or illness related. So based on that what would your choice in stocking be? I've also considered adding 3 to the mix I already have in the 29 gallon.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    That is about clear as mud now I've re-read it... I got interrupted twice responding lol if I need to clarify what I was saying let me know.
    Funny lol. Happens to me all the time!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Add another filter and that number would change... That's the thing with aqadvisor it's malleable :)

I'm not great at low stocking I tend to run on the high side myself lol but you're going to see around 25% less nitrAtes at the end of the week vs what you see now. So if you're comfortably below 40 (I image its a push for you to hit 20 in a week lol) then a bigger tank will read even less. So to keep a similar bioload you should be able add 20-30% more to the larger tank assuming your filter is adequate and see minimal change in parameters at weeks end. So I think you could add 1-3 Cories and 3-4 serape in the larger tank without seeing much of a change at weeks end and not having to do much differently than you do now once everything is settled of course. :)
    I could be wrong but there are two numbers in aq advisor one is stocking percentage and the other is filtration percentage. Based on my experience with it changing the filter or adding a filter will change the filtration percentage but not the stocking percentage.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!

I have yet to even see 10 ppm nitrates yet typically around 5. And that's with changing 8-10 gallons in a 29 gallon every 5-10 days. In theory I think adding 2 cory and 4 serpae puts me basically back to the same stocking level as I am in the current tank I think. Guess I'm wanting the best of both worlds. Wanting to add to one or the other schools but try to keep stocking to a minimum that's why I'm taking your guys opinions on what you think would be best.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast