· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    I did not see that you're looking at a 38 gallon. Congrats if you got it. What size is it? Mine had a 2ft x 1ft footprint and 24" high. To answer your question better about nippiness, I think the longfin would look better in your tank once they settle into the group, but you will probably always see some nippage. My mother's longfin serpeas look pretty good in her 30g, but the leftover male guppy looks pretty raggedy. When one of my nippy lemon tetras are weak, the pack will nip them all up. You can't stop that nippy inclination they have, just work with it. Adding 6 more should help with the current standard fins to accept the newbies. The other suggestions are great too!

Plus I have to edit my earlier post, they are the same hyphessobrycon species and actually the same fish, just a different strain.
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 09-12-2018 at 04:22 AM.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For luck with your son's recovery - Slaphppy7   Healing prayers for Henry - RiversGirl   DIY water chnager, nice job! - Slaphppy7   My heart goes out to you and your little boy.  He is so strong and so are you. - angelcraze2   Healing prayers for little Henry (superman) - Silbar   
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by sfsamm View Post
    You could add another 5-6 each of Cories and Serape and not have bioload issues in the new tank! Just don't add them all at once or immediately after swapping tanks. :)
    Ya I'm sure I could I was just hoping to keep the stocking down a little. My family is going through a lot right now related to my youngest son and if i have to miss a water change or something I was just hoping not to be quite as heavily stocked. Thoughts?

How many would you add at a time?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For luck with your son's recovery - Slaphppy7   Healing prayers for Henry - RiversGirl   DIY water chnager, nice job! - Slaphppy7   My heart goes out to you and your little boy.  He is so strong and so are you. - angelcraze2   Healing prayers for little Henry (superman) - Silbar   
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by angelcraze2 View Post
    I did not see that you're looking at a 38 gallon. Congrats if you got it. What size is it? Mine had a 2ft x 1ft footprint and 24" high. To answer your question better about nippiness, I think the longfin would look better in your tank once they settle into the group, but you will probably always see some nippage. My mother's longfin serpeas look pretty good in her 30g, but the leftover male guppy looks pretty raggedy. When one of my nippy lemon tetras are weak, the pack will nip them all up. You can't stop that nippy inclination they have, just work with it. Adding 6 more should help with the current standard fins to accept the newbies. The other suggestions are great too!

Plus I have to edit my earlier post, they are the same hyphessobrycon species and actually the same fish, just a different strain.
    I didn't get the tank yet but I have my mind set on a 38. The footprint will be 12 by 36 long and it will be 20 tall

What exactly do you mean by "work with it?"

Think any less than 6 would be a problem? 3 or 4?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Also as long as I start with the filters from the 29 etc I should be good to put all the fish from the 29 straight into the 38 when I get it correct?

Some of the good bacteria in the gravel might be lost if I switch to sand and don't use the gravel. Haven't made a final decision on that though yet.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Majority of your BB resides in the filters.

You should be able to switch over just fine with sand.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on the Platy fry - Silbar   Congrats on the shrimp! - Silbar   I loved the vid - Silbar   sfsamm - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    I rarely transfer substrate over when upgrading a tank only filters. I occasionally see a little blip in my cycle but usually nothing that doesn't resolve in a week or so and for the most part it's usually such a small reading of Ammonia or nitrIte and never see stress and I usually let it run its course just daily doses of prime for a week or 10 days and don't worry about it. Try to sneak in a couple tests that first week to make sure though. :)

I wouldn't ever keep any shoaling fish in a group smaller than 6 unless I'm letting them live out days before adding something different. Especially that first couple years when they've young and spunky they seem to be more of a terror than the nice fish you want lol. Over the years I've had some be just fine as pairs or on their own. Rescue fish and whatnot that I wasn't planning on. I think a lot depends on the setup and the particular fish. It's hard to predict for sure.

Whenever I add to a school I try to do at least three new fish at a minimum. It doesn't always happen but they seem get fare better for me when I add at least three rather than one or two which seem to take longer to get accepted into the group.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by sfsamm View Post
    I rarely transfer substrate over when upgrading a tank only filters. I occasionally see a little blip in my cycle but usually nothing that doesn't resolve in a week or so and for the most part it's usually such a small reading of Ammonia or nitrIte and never see stress and I usually let it run its course just daily doses of prime for a week or 10 days and don't worry about it. Try to sneak in a couple tests that first week to make sure though. :)

I wouldn't ever keep any shoaling fish in a group smaller than 6 unless I'm letting them live out days before adding something different. Especially that first couple years when they've young and spunky they seem to be more of a terror than the nice fish you want lol. Over the years I've had some be just fine as pairs or on their own. Rescue fish and whatnot that I wasn't planning on. I think a lot depends on the setup and the particular fish. It's hard to predict for sure.

Whenever I add to a school I try to do at least three new fish at a minimum. It doesn't always happen but they seem get fare better for me when I add at least three rather than one or two which seem to take longer to get accepted into the group.
    I'm with you on atleast 6. Currently I have 6 serpaes so what about adding 4 long finned serpae to the mix considering it's the same fish.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    Majority of your BB resides in the filters.

You should be able to switch over just fine with sand.
    Copy that.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    I think adding 4 LF serpeas to the 6 standard fins would be ok. How many did you add at once when the school slowly killed the newbies? The thing is, I don't feel 2 tetras make a big difference with the bioload. If they are smaller anD you really don't want 6 more serpeas, I would rehome two later. The more added (especially if they are much smaller) the better.

What I mean by work with it is most ppl don't have to worry about adding fish with tetras. These are bit of a mix between tetra and cichlid. Or more like their cousin the piranha but smaller. They are fun to work with, but unlike other tetras.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on the Platy fry - Silbar   Congrats on the shrimp! - Silbar   I loved the vid - Silbar   sfsamm - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mspringer View Post
    I'm with you on atleast 6. Currently I have 6 serpaes so what about adding 4 long finned serpae to the mix considering it's the same fish.
    I think it'd work just fine :)

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast