· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You will win this battle against the nematodes. - RiversGirl   teacher/friend - marc4   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   

Default Crinum natans flower stalk

2 Not allowed!
    I think this is the second time I ever saw this plant send up a flower stalk and it's been in the tank since the beginning. I didn't get any seeds back then, but I've recently set up an aponogenton growout, so I'm hoping I can get some baby crinums growing that way as well.

20180909_213116.jpg

If anyone knows what to do, let me know! I'm going to be searching the net, but if anyone has personal experience.....
    Or knows if it can self-polinate or whatever. For the aponos, I ran my finger lightly on the flowers, but there was more than one blooming at a time.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for Sharing Your fish! - discusluv   

1 Not allowed!
    Very nice! Following to learn. I got my first from this family this week.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You will win this battle against the nematodes. - RiversGirl   teacher/friend - marc4   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   

0 Not allowed!
    Ok, well it's nothing like aponogenton flowers lol, so I'll have to do some investigating. It should break the surface soon and I don't remember what to expect. Hope I don't mess this up!
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome back! - Slaphppy7   Celebrating your amazing restoration work! - showmebutterfly   

1 Not allowed!
    Check this out. I don't think they are specifically talking about the flower, but it is still interesting. Here is the link https://www.aquascapeaddiction.com/a.../crinum-natans

"If you want to grow more of the Crinum Natans plant then all you need to do is take the bulb offshoots and plant them in dirt. These offshoot bulbs cannot be grown immersed in water and need to be grown on dry land. On a side note, if this plant is healthy it will send a shoot to the water’s surface and actually create a flower. These plants are quite versatile, aren't too hard to grow, and make a beautiful addition to any aquarium."

Interesting that it says the new plant must be grown on dry land.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you @Nautilus291! Actually when I bought the plant, it had one side shoot. I planted them together and the offshoot just died off. I guess that's because it was submerged.

After looking at some pictures of the flower, I do remember it blooming once before. There are two flowers that I can attempt to cross pollinate. I don't know how the seeds develop, but I read and as I remember, the flowers only last a day or so, so I better get on this and figure it out. So far, I haven't found any results from anyone having success with it.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    One of the flowers bloomed two days ago, and the second flower yesterday. I tried to pollenate the flowers with a Q-tip, but have no idea what will happen.
    20180920_000812.jpg
    20180920_000834.jpg
    20180920_000842.jpg
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    When the second one bloomed, I used the same Q-tip and tried to cross-pollenate. No idea...
    20180922_144906.jpg
    20180922_145038.jpg
    20180922_144458.jpg
    20180922_144547.jpg
    20180922_145006.jpg
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

First round is on me, Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Another beer to help make up missing your birthday. - gadget228   Happy Birthday - Taurus   Hope you had a great Birthday! - discusluv   Thanks for the rep, the message meant a lot as well!  Tx! - angelcraze2   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    Doesn't hurt to try, those are some cool looking blooms
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas back at you ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Congrats on the new fish ;-) - steeler58   
    Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Silbar   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Silbar   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - Silbar   

2 Not allowed!
    Beautiful flowers! I can never get over how green and healthy all of your plants always look.
    Sil's 2nd Time Around 75G...Journal
    Sil's 75G...Journal
    Sil's 20L...Journal
    Sil's 10G...Journal

RIP Deb, we miss you.

Real courage is moving forward when the outcome is uncertain~~Fortune Cookie

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - Hockey nut   Congrats on the baby Dupe - Silbar   No Message - ApistoJoe   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Those are beautiful