· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Thread: filter owners

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your first cycled tank! - Silbar   For good luck with the fishkeeping hobby. - Slaphppy7   

Default filter owners

1 Not allowed!
    Has anyone used the fluval fx6 for a tank under 50 gallons?
    The filter is supposed to move 900 gallons per hour at its top setting, and was made for tanks up to 400 gallons. I have 9 cichlids and one petri cat. The Peacocks are about 4 inches, with the rest about 2 inches. 40 gallon tank.

The fluval 306 is struggling to keep up with the waste. I'm going to keep that one as a backup filter. I knew the fx6 was overkill, but at least I'll know the tank is clean. However I don't want to find fish stuck to the strainer like refrigerator magnets. Doubt that will happen if on low.

If you have had the large fluval, can you tell me what size tank you used it on, species and what setting you put it on.

Thanks

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    What do you have in your current filter as media? Have you ever tried a sponge on the intake tube as a prefilter? Carefully cut an 'X' into the center of a sponge. Slide it onto the end of the intake tube. It will most likely have to washed often to prevent clogging, but if you rinse it in declorinated water or old tank water, it would add a bit more surface area with a lot of aeration for beneficial bacteria to colonize in.

Sorry I have no advice for the Fluval filters, but I'd hate to see you spend all that on another filter. Maybe you do need more, but I have a couple questions to hopefully find out. Why do you feel the Fluval 306 is struggling to keep up with waste? Are you registering ammonia again? Or does the tank look dirty?

How often have you been changing out water? How's it going with siphoning the bottom?
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas to you and your family :-) - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you too! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Congrats! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by marc4 View Post
    Has anyone used the fluval fx6 for a tank under 50 gallons?
    The filter is supposed to move 900 gallons per hour at its top setting, and was made for tanks up to 400 gallons. I have 9 cichlids and one petri cat. The Peacocks are about 4 inches, with the rest about 2 inches. 40 gallon tank.

The fluval 306 is struggling to keep up with the waste. I'm going to keep that one as a backup filter. I knew the fx6 was overkill, but at least I'll know the tank is clean. However I don't want to find fish stuck to the strainer like refrigerator magnets. Doubt that will happen if on low.

If you have had the large fluval, can you tell me what size tank you used it on, species and what setting you put it on.

Thanks
    I have 2 FX6 on a 180 gallon tank to achieve a 10x turnover rate which is optimum for cichlids. If you add a FX6 to a 40 gallon tank you will get a turnover rate of 22.5 total volume turnover an hour. While these filters never really do turnover per hour the capacity that they advertise- it is pretty close and your rate of turnover in this tank would be excessive.

I know your frustration, I have a Fluvel 206 on a 29 gallon tank and it appears to not be enough for tank volume, but, in actuality, I am getting around 7.5 x rate gph turnover which is sufficient for the fish I have in tank- tetras. With your F 306 it states that you should be getting around the same rate of turnover for a 40 gallon as mine ( 7.5 x) but we know that you are probably getting a bit less than this. I agree, I would want more with cichlids. If you want to get a more powerful canister than look for a filter that will give you, at the highest, 12X turnover rate--- this should give you the results you are looking for. You may need to look at other brands to find this. The Fluvel 406 states that it would give your 40 gallon GPH rate of 9.75-- which would be very good. The FX5 would be around 17.5 x-- too much really. Maybe look at Eheims for that sweet spot.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

1 Not allowed!
    fx4 .... little brother of fx6 . it's not always about the gph, otherwise a canister could easily be compared to a hob. Why not just add a second 306 or maybe 406. The larger canisters are harder to move around due to weight
    Last edited by Rocksor; 09-10-2018 at 03:23 AM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your first cycled tank! - Silbar   For good luck with the fishkeeping hobby. - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    After the mess with the slime bacteria, I realized I had to have a backup filter. The two I had before the fluval 306 had been contaminated by the slime, and though I know they have been scrubbed out, that experience was bad enoughI don't trust them.

The fluval 306 is a really good filter, but I have to rinse out the large particle sponges twice a week or they become so full that the filtration slows down. Inside I have the four large particle sponges, 2 fine particle filters sponges, ceramic rings, two polishing pads and usually 2 carbon inserts. The carbon I removed when I started medicating and replaced them with ammonia detox material.

Usually I take out a quarter of the water one or two times a week, but am going to step that up with the ich. Vacuuming I was doing once a week at which time I also scrubbed any excess algae and droppings from the ceiling rocks of the caves and tunnels. I feed in the center of the tank where most of the pellets that aren't caught during sinking by the fish are visible. The ones that fall are usually eaten within minutes, but if there are any left, I take them up. My sand must be a bit small, because the individual grains are just as likely to be sucked up into the hose even if I am careful. Once I have vacuumed the surface of the sand, I agitate it to get any particles that have sunken down.

When I bought the fluval 306, I thought it would be enough, but the large particle sponges shouldn't need to be taken out and rinsed so frequently. Most of my fish are the same size as the demasoni or a touch larger. The two largest are my zebra obliquidens and my red zebra. Both are about 4 1/2 inches and heavy bodied. They have paired up.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a frontosa, to start your collection - Slaphppy7   4 the help - rookie   

0 Not allowed!
    I would suggest that if you don't have a FX6 yet, get FX4. If you have an FX6 put the output tube in the center of the tank, aim both outputs at opposite ends of the tank and toward the surface, Put the intake in the same area as the output tube, so the flow from both outputs move the water back toward the center of the tank where the input is. If you have fast moving fish the does work fine. I've had an FX6 on a 55 before, and run 2 FX6 on a 100 gallon.