· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

0 Not allowed!
    When are you getting the 8'x3' tank? Would love to see that aquascaped.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No arowanas or bichirs in the shop, so have a gourami instead - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Congratulations on winning POTM! - BluewaterBoof   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocksor View Post
    When are you getting the 8'x3' tank? Would love to see that aquascaped.
    Don't think you're posting in the right thread, unfortunately. A year and a half ago I was supposed to get an 8'x3' interestingly enough, but the seller ended up not replying to me through email so I went with my 7'x2' 210 gallon instead.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Oh cool, I didn't realize you already had a turtle in the 90g. Can you do both another turtle and orange lasers? How would the bioload compare? I keep thinking the cories would hardly put a dent.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No arowanas or bichirs in the shop, so have a gourami instead - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Congratulations on winning POTM! - BluewaterBoof   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by angelcraze2 View Post
    Oh cool, I didn't realize you already had a turtle in the 90g. Can you do both another turtle and orange lasers? How would the bioload compare? I keep thinking the cories would hardly put a dent.
    Yeah, I have a three stripe mud turtle in my 90. He's pretty great. Well considering right now I have 3 vulture catfish, a granulated catfish, a lapradei bichir, a palmas palmas bichir, three vieja, a distichodus, a giant gourami, and a ghost knife I'm growing out I imagine the tank can take quite the bioload haha. I'm running an FX6 and sponge filter on it. So remove all those high waste fish and I could probably pull another turtle and a school of 10 cories if I decided I hate having money.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Yea, that's not gonna happen lol! I've never kept a turtle, so I have no idea really, but that's cool to know!
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by datfish View Post
    Don't think you're posting in the right thread, unfortunately. A year and a half ago I was supposed to get an 8'x3' interestingly enough, but the seller ended up not replying to me through email so I went with my 7'x2' 210 gallon instead.
    Watch the vultures, once their whiskers and tail start to touch the width of the tank constantly, they get real antsy and nervous.
    Last edited by Rocksor; 11-07-2018 at 01:10 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Watch the vultures, once their whiskers and tail start to touch the width of the tank constantly, they get real antsy and nervous.
    I know, I had one I was growing out once before, but as I was watching it, it started breathing heavily, gasped, then died. Tested water immediately and nothing was off, so hard to say what exactly happened. It wasn't a lack of oxygen either. He got to that size you usually see people posting online when they aren't massive. It's uncommon to see full grown specimens, so I wonder if something in captivity doesn't suit them well. If something similar happens again I'll have to leave them alone since I don't want to just buy fish to kill them.

That said, these little guys are tiny! Around 3"! So in my 90 they'll be good till I start getting uncomfortable with their mouth size next to other fish, then into the 210 till their whiskere are 24", then by then hopefully I've moved to a bigger place. If not, bring them into work and put them in a larger tank.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by datfish View Post
    I know, I had one I was growing out once before, but as I was watching it, it started breathing heavily, gasped, then died. Tested water immediately and nothing was off, so hard to say what exactly happened. It wasn't a lack of oxygen either. He got to that size you usually see people posting online when they aren't massive. It's uncommon to see full grown specimens, so I wonder if something in captivity doesn't suit them well. If something similar happens again I'll have to leave them alone since I don't want to just buy fish to kill them.

That said, these little guys are tiny! Around 3"! So in my 90 they'll be good till I start getting uncomfortable with their mouth size next to other fish, then into the 210 till their whiskere are 24", then by then hopefully I've moved to a bigger place. If not, bring them into work and put them in a larger tank.
    Gasping is a sign of not enough oxygen levels for them at that time. Stress can increase the amount of oxygen required. Each species and individual requires a certain level of oxygen to live. The larger the fish, the more oxygen it needs in the water.

I've had one fish gasp in a group of 8. I turned up the surface agitation with lots of air stones, etc. That one fish stopped gasping. I then slowly reduced the agitation and the fish was fine. This told me that during my tank's normal state, the fish is fine, and borderline receiving the amount of oxygen it needs.
    Last edited by Rocksor; 11-07-2018 at 05:16 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Gasping is a sign of not enough oxygen levels for them at that time. Stress can increase the amount of oxygen required. Each species and individual requires a certain level of oxygen to live. The larger the fish, the more oxygen it needs in the water.

I've had one fish gasp in a group of 8. I turned up the surface agitation with lots of air stones, etc. That one fish stopped gasping. I then slowly reduced the agitation and the fish was fine. This told me that during my tank's normal state, the fish is fine, and borderline receiving the amount of oxygen it needs.
    I had two air stones on separate air pumps rated for 100 gallon tank each, and two 500gph internal pumps pulling air into the water as well, via airline attached to the outflow. On top of my sump intake creating ridiculous agitation and outflow also agitating the surface of my tank, which results in more oxygenation. The heavy breathing and single gasp took place in under 30 seconds. I would be shocked if a fish went from healthy to total asphyxiation in less than 30 seconds without any prior symptoms.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    @Rocksor Some of my fish who were damaged from an internal nematode were gulping often at the surface. Especially a wasting male platinum angel. Once I lost all the affected fish, there was no more gulping. The others never gulped. I did increase aeration, but it didn't help him. Maybe some internal organ was damaged causing him to not have enough oxygen?

I also heard that a well planted tank has more oxygen than agitating the surface, that a mild protein film is fine and even helpful for a planted tank. He was saying to keep spraybar below? This was an aquascaping video, so focus is plants, but if the plants are doing well, he said it has a higher o2 content, so better for fish. I never researched it to see if what he said was correct.
    -Kat

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast