· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your first cycled tank! - Silbar   For good luck with the fishkeeping hobby. - Slaphppy7   

Default advice on ich medications

0 Not allowed!
    I thought I would put a new search out for ich medications. What started as a couple of small lesions on one fish has spread to lesions on all of my fish. My petricat may also have them, but his coloring makes identifying lesions difficult. Also in my tank are 1 yellow lab, 1 yellow top, 1 demasoni, 1 red zebra, 1 zebra obliquedens, 1 polit, 1 yellow acei, 1 fire red uganda, and 1 blue orchid.

The water is a stable 80 degrees, no ammonia or nitrites, and nitrates are below 20. (water values taken with an API test kit). The only aggression issue is between my demasoni and yellow top. The others are stable. Lights are on at 8am and off at 8pm.
    Sand substrate, rock formations with caves, tunnels etc. Water changes 25% every week. Fluval 306 filter (I purchased a fluval fx 6, but I don't want to install it until the ich is gone). Pelleted food.

I started with a natural herb solution for ich when I first noticed it. I saw no improvements with it, and thought the ich had spread. After that, I switched to Ich Attack, and again, no improvement. Right now I am using Seecham paraguard, started it a week ago, and there is no improvement. The ich is spreading with fish that were not showing lesions no showing more than one. Lesions that were already there are worse. there are no raw or open wounds. Just flat white lesions that have no particular shape.

After looking at photos online of ich, I would say my fish are mildly effected. The spread of lesions concerns me though. It is hard to tell if my congo black calvus died of the ich, or medications in the tank. His lesions were on his head. The underside of his chin and a blaze between his eyes. When I started medications, I had increased the temp to 84 degrees. I'd seen some recommendations on increasing temperatures when treating ich. (couldn't tell you where, I was just surfing fish sites and articles on ich). the temp. range for the species I have were up to 82 degrees, so an additional 2 degrees did not seem that extreme, and was done over several hours.

At this point, I have been very wary of stronger ich medications. Especially with my petricat. All of the medications are irritating. (I've gotten the ich attack and paraguard on my skin, and in any cracks or cuts, they hurt like hell. ). Any suggestions? Thanks

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome back! - Slaphppy7   Celebrating your amazing restoration work! - showmebutterfly   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Can you show us pictures? When you say lesions are you talking about the ich white spots or something different? How long did you use ich attack? It can take a couple of weeks of medicating to fully get rid of ich, and during that time you should do major water changes focusing on cleaning the gravel because once the ich falls off it sits down there until it's next stage.

Also if you are using carbon filtration make sure you remove it as it will take the medication out of the water.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome back! - Slaphppy7   Celebrating your amazing restoration work! - showmebutterfly   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry I didn't notice your other post, looks like you are getting good advice over there :)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your first cycled tank! - Silbar   For good luck with the fishkeeping hobby. - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    I don't have the means to get a picture online. I can describe them better though. First the meds. ich attack natural herb treatment for three weeks, the Haikari ich x same, three weeks (I went back to my amazon orders for dates and names of the medication). Finally the paraguard 12 days so far

I took out the charcoal when I started treatment with the ich attack. The lesions are flat, white, and very in size. They vary in shape. On the head, they seem to start between the eyes, and in some of my fish, the lesion runs down the top of the dorsal fin. The lips are another place they are showing up. On the body, there are some white spots that appear circular or like an ink blot (not the color, but the shape), these vary in size from pin head to half a pencil eraser. The fish seem to get more lesions in one day.

Some of the medications for ich contain formaldihyde, and I didn't want to use that on my fish. Especially with the petricat. When I took my dead congo black calvus out of the tank, I examined his lesions. He had the stripe on the head and also on the ventral aspect of the face. Both lesions were smooth, white, and when I scraped the one under the chin, there was a raw area. They almost looked the way a scab does after you go swimming. They are all cranky.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas to you and your family :-) - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you too! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Congrats! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    If you have treated with all that you have listed above and still have Ich you either didn't have Ich in the first place or what you are now dealing with is secondary bacterial infection resulting from Ich parasite ( this very common- especially with those who raise temperature while treating or as treatment for Ich). The higher the temperature the quicker the bacteria spreads in tissues where parasite has burrowed in.

Can you link me to other thread so I can see more context and possibly help.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    Don't laugh, but I am severely computer illiterate. I have no idea how to link you to another site. Until about 10 years ago, I had never even touched a computer. And then only web surfing and email. My veterinary practice was done all in paper. Showing my age.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    I will link for you :)

I think it's this one @discusluv

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=128269
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas to you and your family :-) - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you too! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Congrats! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by marc4 View Post
    Don't laugh, but I am severely computer illiterate. I have no idea how to link you to another site. Until about 10 years ago, I had never even touched a computer. And then only web surfing and email. My veterinary practice was done all in paper. Showing my age.
    No problem, I entirely understand. :)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by angelcraze2 View Post
    I will link for you :)

I think it's this one @discusluv

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=128269
    I didn't realize you were a Canadian, @angelcraze2. Do you speak French? :)
    Can we trade Presidents ? Yours is handsome and sane ;)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas to You and Yours! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Win or lose, here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Cheers! - Slaphppy7   

3 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by discusluv View Post
    Can we trade Presidents ? Yours is handsome and sane ;)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast