· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    And another FYI Make sure to wait one hour after using a reducing agent (most water coditioners) before using these meds.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by angelcraze2 View Post
    I was thinking MB if the fish is showing distress or infection with the missing scales. Otherwise a clean tank with clean water is the best remedy.

I just had an angelfish get beat up with missing scales, broken fins and fungus on the fins. I did two Meth Blue 'paints' and kept the tank clean with water changes and good siphoning. I also added an Indian Almond Leaf (IAL) or Capatta Leaf in the filler wrapped in pantyhose.

FIY I read sodium chloride is not good to use with Formalin (Paraguard). Something about it burning the gills, so if you user Paraguard, water change the salt out first.
    this is less relevant now.. the problem now is with this fish and its bloat. i dont htink the problem is infection or parasites beacasue of the long time and slow progression, the most possible scenario to me is egg bounding and tumurs. im trying to understand if i should try again to "massage" her for expeling the eggs{last time i did it she laid upside down for 15 minutes.. but after that the male goldfish in the tank started to chase her } or doing epsom bath or release her in a pond which the natural condition, excellent water parameters and lots of spwaning places might encourge her to expel them..what do you think?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Depends on how bad the area with missing scales is. She might need to stay in a hospital tank until she starts to heal. I would wait until she is fully healed. You would know best since it's yor fish. I'm happy to provide you info tho :)

Meth blue
    To prepare bath I use 1 teaspoon 2.303% solution per 5 gallons (double dose) in a bath of aquarium water from the tank the fish you wish to treat came from, I usually use about a gallon of water, however you may use less.
    Measurement of the Methylene Blue does not need to be precise as this bath should be used for about 30 minutes (although do not grossly overdose).
    You may also add salts to your bath to improve effectiveness for certain problems when preparing baths for freshwater fish (such as swim bladder, dropsy or unknown problems)
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I was thinking Epsom salt and Meth blue baths (although I personally prefer to keep fish in Meth blue rather than dips)
    I meant to quote this
    DOSAGE: 1 teaspoon of a 2.303% solution per 10 gallons every other day for 10 days with water changes before each treatment. BEST USED IN A HOSPITAL TANK or bath as previously noted. Methylene blue can destroy nitrifying bacteria and plants in the display aquarium.
    So 1/2 a teaspoon Epsom salts per 10 gallons (to start) and 1 teaspoon per 10g Methylene blue every 48 hours for 10 days.
    -Kat

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by angelcraze2 View Post
    I was thinking Epsom salt and Meth blue baths (although I personally prefer to keep fish in Meth blue rather than dips)
    I meant to quote this

So 1/2 a teaspoon Epsom salts per 10 gallons (to start) and 1 teaspoon per 10g Methylene blue every 48 hours for 10 days.
    The epsom salt dosage seems to me very low.. i dont think it will do anything on this dosages

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

2 Not allowed!
    1 tablespoon of epsom salt per 5 gallons for up to 30 minutes (or until fish seems stressed) in a bath. Add 1ml per gallon of 2.3% MB for the bath.

If you want the fish to have the medication continually,

1/2 teaspoon per 10 gallons in a aquarium for 1 week with 5ml of 2.3% MB solution per 10 gallons.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I thought I read the goldfish was in a hospital bin atm. If that's the case, I would keep the fish in medication for 1 week or 10 days. The MB protects against nitrite poisoning and you don't have to worry about a cycle. MB will also kill your nitrogen cycle, so its never to be added to the main tank. Only in a hospital tank, and in a hospital tank, it's very helpful while the fish heals. It facilitates o2 absorption thru the gills and promotes healing (the missing scales). I don't think you can go wrong with MB in the hospital unless you grossly overdose which is not likely.

One reason I don't like dips and short baths is because I find it stressful on the fish. Params change four the bath ABC's then they go back to the params they are used to. I think it's best to acclimate the fish to the bath water and vice versa which seems like a real PITA and stressful for the fish.

The reason the salts dosage is lower is because I realized I said too much last time for the start. There is a ton of different dosages out there, and I used to think the more the better, but I've learned that too much salts is not good either. So start with a lower dose and see if it makes a difference.
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 10-11-2018 at 04:21 PM.
    -Kat

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I only managed to find a med called ektl fluid by JBL that contains MB , it also contains benzalkamin{or something like this} should i use it?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    No idea what that is. Can you get this?

https://www.amazon.com/Kordon-Methyl.../dp/B00025646W
    It's what I use
    -Kat

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    not in time
    https://japankoi.net/en/fishkeeping/...t-100-ml-250-l
    this is a link about the product