· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome back! - Slaphppy7   Celebrating your amazing restoration work! - showmebutterfly   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

Default Why did I ever buy new!

2 Not allowed!
    Does anyone else watch fb marketplace for aquarium related items? I'm sure this isn't the same for everyone, but in my area it's amazing and or depressing!

Before I get started one thing I realized this year is I'm not a young hip kid anymore. I'm not keeping up with, or even creating new trends like I use to. I find out about them way after they have already taken over the world! I use to watch Craigslist quite a bit for different things. Here lately it seems like I can never find what I'm looking for on it. Well... that's because everyone uses Facebook marketplace now!

Anyways in my area the resale value for used aquarium related paraphernalia is crazy low, and it's all over fb marketplace! I watch it not nessesarily because I'm looking for something in particular, but there are so many full tank setups for 10 or 20 bucks that may have some pump, heater, piece of driftwood, Etc that comes with it that's worth double that price or more. Not that I even need that stuff, but for example today someone is selling 4 different fluval 300 and 400 series canister filters for $20 for all! Do I need them? No, but I sure want them for that price! Even if I could get one to work I would feel like I made out.

It's a dangerous game scrolling through the hundreds of posts though. Every time I see a 90g tank I think to myself, "that would fit on my 75g stand! Think of how high my plants could grow in that!" Also when I see that 220g tank with stand for "$300 with sump" I start thinking about what I can get rid of in my house so I can fit it. "Hmm... my daughter won't need this toybox anymore when she can spend all day swimming with fish in this 6 foot tank!" Maybe if I just get that 300g square tank for $500 I could convince my wife that we could put a rubber liner on top of it, and we can use it as a dream fishtank and waterbed! Then I could fit it in my house, It's so cheap I need it! I NEED IT!!!!

It is depressing though. 12 years ago when I bought my first 55g setup I think I had close to 2k in it after all of the filters and everything else that I ended up buying twice because I bought all wrong stuff the first time. Then, I look on Facebook and someone is selling their 55g tank for $75 with fish because they are moving and need it gone ASAP. Ouch. Just this year I bought a new fluval canister for my tank... let me remind you about the deal I mentioned earlier Why oh why didn't I know about marketplace!

Alright I'm done; in case you are wondering where this post came from it's 5:30 AM here. I'm 11 hours into my 12 hour shift, so yes, my mind might have left me.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Welcome Back! - Boundava   Here is a coral to tide you over until you decide what to get for your 40 - bpete   Sorry for the ich, you'll defeat it. - mch1984   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   

1 Not allowed!
    I can totally relate. Some of the deals are amazing. I frequently look for aquarium or quilting items on both Craigslist and FB marketplace. My husband looks for almost everything on there. I call him the Craigslist king. Our garage is full of stuff he's bought because it was a good deal. Just last weekend he bought 11 twelve foot cattle panels. Because we might need those sometime. We do have a small farm and 3 cows. So it's possible. But not probable. But they were a good deal. As much as I'd love to get him more involved in my aquarium hobby, I'm also afraid of him getting too involved. lol

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy New Year - mommy1   Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA   Good Morning :-) - Taurus   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Just to let you know I'm thinking about you. Better things will come. - Taurus   
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - MCHRKiller   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - MCHRKiller   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - MCHRKiller   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - MCHRKiller   Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - MCHRKiller   

2 Not allowed!
    Jeez...people try to sell their used tank here for more than I can conjure a new version for. Saw someone selling a beat up old180G for $800 last week. Scratches, blue stained silicone, stand had seen better days too.
    3x75 gallons|1x55 gallon|2x40 gallons

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Welcome Back! - Boundava   Here is a coral to tide you over until you decide what to get for your 40 - bpete   Sorry for the ich, you'll defeat it. - mch1984   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   

2 Not allowed!
    I've seen the high priced ones too. They seem to either be crazy low or crazy high. I hardly ever see clean tanks though. Anything else someone is trying to sell they'll generally at least try to clean it up first. I don't understand asking high dollar for a gross dirty tank.
    Quote Originally Posted by MCHRKiller View Post
    Jeez...people try to sell their used tank here for more than I can conjure a new version for. Saw someone selling a beat up old180G for $800 last week. Scratches, blue stained silicone, stand had seen better days too.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy New Year - mommy1   Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA   Good Morning :-) - Taurus   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Just to let you know I'm thinking about you. Better things will come. - Taurus   
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - MCHRKiller   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - MCHRKiller   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - MCHRKiller   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - MCHRKiller   Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - MCHRKiller   

0 Not allowed!
    If I sell a tank I just dump the contents and let somebody else deal with it...Id rather price it low than have to clean it up honestly.
    3x75 gallons|1x55 gallon|2x40 gallons

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

0 Not allowed!
    I got my 90gal, in pristine condition, for $50 off FB haha Definitely pays to watch the FB groups.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome back! - Slaphppy7   Celebrating your amazing restoration work! - showmebutterfly   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by MCHRKiller View Post
    Ya, we get that stuff too. It definitely seems like it's priced either really high or really low. I've seen tanks that are half filled with nasty water, no fish in the tank, calcium buildup everywhere and they want a crazy price for it! I don't mind cleaning a tank, but at least drain the water before you post pictures haha.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

2 Not allowed!
    I found my own steal through a local classified, not FB...I don't do FB

It was my 29G, had one tiny scratch, otherwise looked unused

And a giant box of accessories (2 new sponge filters, one still in box, all kinds of Aquaclear filter parts, $20 bottle of garlic food additive, aquarium salt, lots of tubing and hoses, lots of different suction cups, and a bunch of plastic plants and other things I trashed)

Grand total: $15
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    Wife sent me a message this morning linking me to a 150g tank with stand filters substrate and everything for $200. 8D... I'd get it if the only place I can put it is where my 75g is. I feel to busy right now to switch everything to a new tank, and I don't want to run two, but man is it tempting.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Do you have a garage or shed where you could stash it until you're ready to switch? Or is it complete with livestock you have to set it up right away?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nautilus291 View Post
    Wife sent me a message this morning linking me to a 150g tank with stand filters substrate and everything for $200. 8D... I'd get it if the only place I can put it is where my 75g is. I feel to busy right now to switch everything to a new tank, and I don't want to run two, but man is it tempting.