· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Newbie - conflicting info out there

2 Not allowed!
    I am new to the hobby and although I’ve done a lot of research, I think the best thing is to ask those who are actually in the hobby, as the children they hire at Petco are useless and misinformed. I started with one male Betta in a 10 gallon tank. The water has completed its cycle and has been established for 9 months. I have SLOWLY added 2 Bumblebee Gobies (very tiny) and 3 tiny Panda Cories. I would not add any more, correct? I may have made a mistake already. But, am I over stocked? I do a 25% water change each week and have 3 large plants, 3 small pieces of cholla wood, and 3 morimo moss balls in there as well. The substrate is sand and this week’s (and in general) water parameters were:

Ammonia – 0
    Nitrite – 0
    Nitrate – 10
    Ph – 7.0
    Gh – 40
    Kh – 100

I add a tablespoon of aquarium salt when I do a water change, along with conditioner and a touch of stress zyme (I’m paranoid about losing too much good bacteria). I change the carbon filter every 8 weeks.

I’ve read Cories have to be in groups of 3-4, then 6-8 and also do fine by themselves. Their temperature should be much lower than the betta and also warmer is just fine. My head is spinning!

All of the fish seem healthy – great appetites, active, playful – the betta even built a 3 inch wide by 1 inch high bubble nest – yay.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Tips?

Remember, I’m still learning!

Thanks!!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Welcome to the AC....a few questions:

1. You cycled the tank with the betta, correct?

2. What kind of test kit do you use?

3. What kind of conditioner do you use, and why the salt?

4. What temp is the tank kept at?...adjustable heater?

5. What filtration do you have?
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks!!

1. You cycled the tank with the betta, correct? - yes

2. What kind of test kit do you use? - API test kit

3. What kind of conditioner do you use, and why the salt? - Aqueon water conditioner; the Betta had a bought with ich - treated it with salt and heat and read it was good to keep using a little bit for general health and color.

4. What temp is the tank kept at?...adjustable heater? - 78 and yes adjustable

5. What filtration do you have? Aqueon internal filter - uses carbon based cartridges

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

2 Not allowed!
    Good that you have the liquid test kit, many times new aquarists use paper strips or rely on a pet shop to test their water, not a good idea on either count

When you run out of the Aqueon conditioner, get some Seachem Prime, it's the best out there, IMO...highly concentrated, only 1 ml treats 10G of water, and it has many other benefits that others just don't offer

As far as stocking, you can always check this site for info, though I find it a bit conservative, which is fine...plug in your tank, filter, and stocking info, then see lower down the page for results: http://aqadvisor.com/

Can you post a link of the filter you have?

Having a betta in a community tank can be tricky, I've done it, but it's generally not advised...just depends on the betta (I got lucky not once but TWICE with a single male in a community 10G tank)
    Last edited by Slaphppy7; 08-20-2018 at 11:09 PM.

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Thanks so much for the link and other info. I'll send some pics when I get home. My betta can be a bot of a punk, but he hasn't attacked anyone and they've been housed all together now for about 3 months. The most he does is chase the bumblebees for a hot second at feeding time. I learned to feed him in the corner, then quickly use a turkey baster to get the food to the bumbles - seems to be working so far :)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    If they've gotten along for that amount of time, things should be OK

I'd stop the salt, it's not needed if your source water/tank water are similar in ph, gh, and kh

We can tweak that filter as well, you don't need the carbon, just a waste of $ and replacing things in the filter regularly diminishes your BB (Beneficial Bacteria)
    Last edited by Slaphppy7; 08-20-2018 at 11:40 PM.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    thank you - what kind of filter would you recommend?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

2 Not allowed!
    stop using salt once ich is treated

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by scteel24 View Post
    thank you - what kind of filter would you recommend?
    Keep the one you have for now, but I like the AquaClear HOB (hang on back) filters, less equipment in the tank, and easy to maintain/customize

Heads up to Rocksor for the ich treatment schedule, I missed that earlier...are you sure it is ich?

Pics always help, post when you can.
    Last edited by Slaphppy7; 08-21-2018 at 01:18 AM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   

3 Not allowed!
    You only need carbon in a filter if you're trying to remove medications or other introduced chemicals. Carbon is chemical filtration, and otherwise useless. It also doesn't stay activated very long. What you should have in your filter are biobeads for the bacteria to grow on. Since a complete change-out would result in your losing your beneficial bacteria and losing your cycle, I would suggest only changing over a little at a time to give BB a chance to establish itself on a few biobeads, then add a few more and get rid of the carbon entirely. Also, you can get media from an LFS that is already cycled, that is, already has the BB established on it, and put that into your filter, as well. Just make sure it comes from a healthy tank, free of diseases. Don't let it dry out during the trip between the LFS you get it from and your tank.

An Aquaclear HOB is ideal for your situation. You can fill the box up with biobeads and just keep the foam sponge. Don't even bother with the carbon. One of the advantages of the Aquaclear is a flow control valve that lets you regulate the water current. Since you have a 10-gallon tank, and AC20 should work best for you. I think now it's called a Fluval something -- new name for the Aquaclears.

Do get Seachem's Prime for your dechlorinator/water conditioner. It has other advantages in addition to neutralizing chlorine and chloramines.

Best of success to you. Sounds like you have a mellow Betta Splendens.
    20 gal. high: planted; 5 white cloud minnows, 4 golden White Clouds, several RCS, 2 blue shrimp, 5 Amano shrimp, several snails; Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 6 rosy barbs, 6 yellow glofish, 3 red glofish, 3 zebra danios, 5 white cloud minnows, 3 dojo loaches, 6 crimson spot rainbow fish, 12 large Amano Shrimp, several snails; AC110.