Aquarium Forum
 


Menu
  · Tropical Fish Home
· Fish News
· Aquarium Forum
· Calculators
· Free Aquarium Ebook
· Feedback
· Photo gallery
· Plant species
· Tropica Plant DB
Tropical fish species
· By Common name
· By Scientific name
Tropical Marine fish
· By Common name
· By Scientific name

Articles
  · African Cichlids
· Algae Control
· Aquarium Decoration
· Aquarium Resources
· Aquatic Plants
· Barb Fish
· Betta Fish
· Breeding Fish
· Catfish
· Central American Cichlids
· Cichlids
· Clownfish
· Corals
· Corydoras Catfish
· Discus Fish
· Dwarf Cichlids
· Fish Diseases
· Frogs and Turtles
· Goby Fish
· Goldfish
· Gourami
· Invertebrates
· Jellyfish
· Killiefish
· Lake Victoria Cichlids
· Livebearers
· Malawi Cichlids
· Marine Aquariums
· Marine Aquarium Fish
· Other Fish
· Pleco
· Predatory Fish
· Photography
· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 29 of 29
  1. #21

    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    5

    Latest gifts & ribbons:

    Default


    2 Not allowed!
    I am thankful and happy to report you guys have corrected the issue in under 24 hrs. I bought the PRIME additive, it must have knocked out the chlorine, I added the bacteria and it must be alive and working because I just got my first positive Nitrites reading (Enter Happy Dance here).

    Wow -- 2 months I was ready to give up, thanks for catching this. It says API stress coat removes chlorine -- obviously it doesn't I had chlorine in my water all along and this no bacteria cycling. Thank u thank u thank u.

  2. #22

    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Auburn, Georgia
    Posts
    5,586

    Awards Showcase

    Latest gifts & ribbons:

    Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you!  Miss you at the forum. - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   
    Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Silbar   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Silbar   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - Silbar   

    Default


    2 Not allowed!
    Great news!
    So today you need to check your ammonia level...let us know what it is and if it is ZERO then we can help with the next step of adding ammonia.
    Also post the nitrItes and NitrAtes at the same time.
    Last edited by Silbar; 08-22-2018 at 01:36 PM.
    Sil's 2nd Time Around 75G...Journal
    Sil's 75G...Journal
    Sil's 20L...Journal
    Sil's 10G...Journal

    RIP Deb, we miss you.

    Real courage is moving forward when the outcome is uncertain~~Fortune Cookie

  3. #23

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Southeast Texas
    Posts
    51,633

    Awards Showcase

    Latest gifts & ribbons:

    Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Great news, glad to hear of your progress....my fishless cycles usually take about 3 weeks to complete, hang in there, you'll get it done.

    You say you added bacteria...you added pure ammonia as well, correct?
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

    “If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

  4. #24

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    5,379

    Awards Showcase

    Latest gifts & ribbons:

    Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

    Default


    1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by firemanusami View Post
    I am thankful and happy to report you guys have corrected the issue in under 24 hrs. I bought the PRIME additive, it must have knocked out the chlorine, I added the bacteria and it must be alive and working because I just got my first positive Nitrites reading (Enter Happy Dance here).

    Wow -- 2 months I was ready to give up, thanks for catching this. It says API stress coat removes chlorine -- obviously it doesn't I had chlorine in my water all along and this no bacteria cycling. Thank u thank u thank u.
    You might have chlorine levels higher than normal, and 0.5ml of Prime will treat up to 4ppm of chlorine per 50 gallons. I can't find how much Stress Coat needs to be used to treat the same amount of chlorine (4ppm). It might require anywhere from 2x to 4x dose for Stress Coat.

  5. #25

    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    5

    Latest gifts & ribbons:

    Default


    1 Not allowed!
    It's been over a month and I am happy to report the Tank is fully alive and going to town. I was able to cycle the tank, and added (4) Bumple Bee Platys for a week and no spike. I added (5) more small Mickey Mouse Platy's and everything is still looking good they are very hyper active and zoom around alot so they must be having fun. I have a lot of waste now from these guys, is there a good pair of bottom feeders to clean all the poop they are making? Hows the Clown Loaches?

    Also, I went with your advice and lost the carbon filter and added the Fluval Bio Rings. How good are those going to last till I have to change them? I understand they are a good bio filter but what about with particulate matter?

    Thanks, to all of you.

  6. #26

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Southeast Texas
    Posts
    51,633

    Awards Showcase

    Latest gifts & ribbons:

    Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

    Default


    1 Not allowed!
    Good to hear all is well.

    No fish will help with the poop, you need to vacuum that up during regular WC's...platys have a huge bioload, so your water quality will suffer greatly (and quickly) if you don't keep up with WC's

    Platys breed like crazy, be prepared

    Ceramic media lasts a very, very long time...for particulate matter, use sponges or poly floss, that is rinsed or replaced weekly
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

    “If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

  7. #27

    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    NW IL
    Posts
    16,729

    Awards Showcase

    Latest gifts & ribbons:

    Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   

    Default


    2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by firemanusami View Post
    It's been over a month and I am happy to report the Tank is fully alive and going to town. I was able to cycle the tank, and added (4) Bumple Bee Platys for a week and no spike. I added (5) more small Mickey Mouse Platy's and everything is still looking good they are very hyper active and zoom around alot so they must be having fun. I have a lot of waste now from these guys, is there a good pair of bottom feeders to clean all the poop they are making? Hows the Clown Loaches?

    Also, I went with your advice and lost the carbon filter and added the Fluval Bio Rings. How good are those going to last till I have to change them? I understand they are a good bio filter but what about with particulate matter?

    Thanks, to all of you.
    For the poo, you should invest in a siphon, I know its a 20 gallon but wold still recommend this:

    https://www.amazon.com/25-Foot-Pytho.../dp/B000255NXC

    it uses your faucet to pull water out of the tank, and then you revers the flow to refill the tank (first add prime to the tank-enough to treat 20 gallons). Once you get the flow started from your tank, you can even shut the water off and use gravity, this way you have 100% dirty tank water you can a fill a bucket to water lants (awesome fertilized water-plants love fish poo) or to clean your dirty filter media in. They also make ones that use gravity only and you have to provide the siphon. Use the tube to pull out the poo and other waste.

    https://www.amazon.com/Python-Pro-Cl.../dp/B001V6Y3LY

    As for the filter, I have 3 Aqueon QF and they are very good. When you have to clean out the filter media, all you have to do is invest in a clean-never used for anything bucket and designate it for fish only, and fill it with some of the dirty tank water you emptied out of the tank-OR tap water you treated with Prime to rinse off the media from the filter in. Give it some good swishes and squeezes (for sponges) and if its really dirty then repeat, just make sure the media never dries out otherwise the bacteria will die, and that any tap water has been treated with Prime first.

    Also most of the biological media that is sold (ceramic or pumice) is a lifetime-of-the-tank, investment. Under normal circumstances and with regular maintenance it should not be something you have to replace. Even sponges will last a long time, depending on their original quality and regular maintenance.

    BTW congrats on your cycled tank!
    Last edited by Boundava; 09-21-2018 at 07:54 PM.
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*


    TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp


    DebinWhitmore

  8. #28

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    9,022

    Awards Showcase

    Latest gifts & ribbons:

    Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas to You and Yours! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Win or lose, here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Cheers! - Slaphppy7   

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    You don't need bacteria boosters of any kind, IME....all you need is a good water conditioner (Seachem Prime) and pure ammonia
    Agreed and the dechlorinator is Stress Coat.

  9. #29

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Quebec, CA
    Posts
    6,841

    Awards Showcase

    Latest gifts & ribbons:

    Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

    Default


    1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boundava View Post
    For the poo, you should invest in a siphon, I know its a 20 gallon but wold still recommend this:

    https://www.amazon.com/25-Foot-Pytho.../dp/B000255NXC

    it uses your faucet to pull water out of the tank, and then you revers the flow to refill the tank (first add prime to the tank-enough to treat 20 gallons). Once you get the flow started from your tank, you can even shut the water off and use gravity, this way you have 100% dirty tank water you can a fill a bucket to water lants (awesome fertilized water-plants love fish poo) or to clean your dirty filter media in. They also make ones that use gravity only and you have to provide the siphon. Use the tube to pull out the poo and other waste.

    https://www.amazon.com/Python-Pro-Cl.../dp/B001V6Y3LY

    As for the filter, I have 3 Aqueon QF and they are very good. When you have to clean out the filter media, all you have to do is invest in a clean-never used for anything bucket and designate it for fish only, and fill it with some of the dirty tank water you emptied out of the tank-OR tap water you treated with Prime to rinse off the media from the filter in. Give it some good swishes and squeezes (for sponges) and if its really dirty then repeat, just make sure the media never dries out otherwise the bacteria will die, and that any tap water has been treated with Prime first.

    Also most of the biological media that is sold (ceramic or pumice) is a lifetime-of-the-tank, investment. Under normal circumstances and with regular maintenance it should not be something you have to replace. Even sponges will last a long time, depending on their original quality and regular maintenance.

    BTW congrats on your cycled tank!
    Great advice! I'll just add that I have no problem starting a siphon without using the faucet or sucking on tubes lol.

    This guy shows how, easy peasy to-the-point
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 09-21-2018 at 10:25 PM.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •