· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    Here it is, at the bottom of the page

http://www.fishforums.net/aquarium-calculator.htm
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you!  Miss you at the forum. - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   
    Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Silbar   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Silbar   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - Silbar   

2 Not allowed!
    With the filter that you have now, I think it is possible to remove the cartridge and separate the sponge from it. The problem with those cartridges is that they tell you replace them frequently and that only tosses out a lot of your wonder beneficial bacteria (BB). Instead of using the cartridge, buy some bio beads such as Biomax ceramic rings. Found on Amazon they are very porous and have tons of nooks and crannies for the good bacteria to grow on. Place these in a media bag or a piece of knee high stocking and place in the filter where the cartridge used to go. You can still use the sponge, too. When you do end up doing water changes (WC) you will pull out the media bag and place it in a bowl of old tank water to preserve the BB. When you are done with the WC just replace the media bag back in the filter. The media will last years and save you $ in the long run. It will also help to prevent you losing your BB along the way.
    Sil's 2nd Time Around 75G...Journal
    Sil's 75G...Journal
    Sil's 20L...Journal
    Sil's 10G...Journal

RIP Deb, we miss you.

Real courage is moving forward when the outcome is uncertain~~Fortune Cookie

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    Good advice from Sil above, but not sure what "wonder beneficial bacteria" means....wonderful, maybe?....lol

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you!  Miss you at the forum. - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   
    Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Silbar   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Silbar   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - Silbar   

1 Not allowed!
    Sil's 75G...Journal
    Sil's 20L...Journal
    Sil's 10G...Journal

RIP Deb, we miss you.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   

0 Not allowed!
    You can get a media bag to put the biobeads into. I prefer the ones with the wider mesh (netting) as opposed to the very fine mesh, as I think water flows better through the wider holes. You can tie the end of the bag off, and if necessary, cut the leftover off so the bag fits better into your filter box, if it's too long. Some of them come with a plastic locking clamp, but I don't like those. I just gather the mesh at the open end and tie it into a knot at the base of the closure.

If you use a knee sock to store your biobeads in, don't use anything with Spandex, and be sure it's a new sock that hasn't been through the laundry. Detergent residues on fabrics can be toxic to your fish and your bacteria.
    20 gal. high: planted; 5 white cloud minnows, 4 golden White Clouds, several RCS, 2 blue shrimp, 5 Amano shrimp, several snails; Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 6 rosy barbs, 6 yellow glofish, 3 red glofish, 3 zebra danios, 5 white cloud minnows, 3 dojo loaches, 6 crimson spot rainbow fish, 12 large Amano Shrimp, several snails; AC110.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    I use the nylon mesh bags you get many fruits and vegetables in from the grocery store, just close off the ends with zip ties

Be sure to rinse well in hot tap water first, to remove any potential pesticide residue

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    I use the nylon mesh bags you get many fruits and vegetables in from the grocery store, just close off the ends with zip ties

Be sure to rinse well in hot tap water first, to remove any potential pesticide residue
    I also prefer these over the other options, even the ready made media bags, because the mesh is wider and makes it much easier to clean but the produce suppliers in my area have stopped using the plastic ones.
    Sil's 75G...Journal
    Sil's 20L...Journal
    Sil's 10G...Journal

RIP Deb, we miss you.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    You can also find similar bags at the dollar store or Walmart, with non-food items in them

Of course, whether or not you want those items (and are willing to pay for them) is another matter

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   

2 Not allowed!
    They usually sell decorative pebbles in them, or those smooth glass pieces folks use in vases or for other decor. I like to put those in my birdbath to spice it up a little. Birds don't care, as long as the water is clean and moves.
    20 gal. high: planted; 5 white cloud minnows, 4 golden White Clouds, several RCS, 2 blue shrimp, 5 Amano shrimp, several snails; Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 6 rosy barbs, 6 yellow glofish, 3 red glofish, 3 zebra danios, 5 white cloud minnows, 3 dojo loaches, 6 crimson spot rainbow fish, 12 large Amano Shrimp, several snails; AC110.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    The last ones I got were from Butter Ball turkey breasts, those ones that look like a small turkey, but are actually just breast meat...those are nice ones, there's a loop on one end, so you actually get a little extra mesh bagging