· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For luck with your cycle. - Slaphppy7   Have a tetra, glad your here ;-) - steeler58   They didn't have an eel so here's a foxface haha - BluewaterBoof   

Default The 50 gallon frag tank

5 Not allowed!
    So I decided to post this on here, even though I don't think it will be as cool as most builds. I have learned just how much I enjoy growing coral and taking care of it. Locally we have a great community of reefers and there is a lot of trading and selling coral among members and I want to join in. This project is getting kind of a funny start.

A while back I was going to convert a 54 gallon column into a reef tank. I started with building my own stand, the one with the tank was too small to get a decent sump in it (and I like my sumps). Then I found my 90 gallon and the project got abandoned pretty much. Once I got it in my head I wanted to do a frag tank, I decided I would build the system around this stand. The thing is a beast and you could park a Cadillac on it. It's a bit of an odd size due to the custom build, it's 46" x 26". I have seen some zoo med low boys used for frag tanks and they are perfect. They measure 48" x 24" x 10", so a piece of 3/4" plywood with 1" of over hang will be just right. I am going to order the lowboy this weekend from a small shop in Abilene Tx. It will be a couple of weeks before I go back and pick it up but I can get started on the finishing the stand anyways. I'm undecided on most of my equipment so far but we'll get there.

fair warning this one will be a slow progress build.

Tank - 48" x 24" x 10"
    sump - undecided, but some kind of DIY build
    Lighting - probably a 32" sb reef light with timer
    flow - single gyra (probably ice cap)
    Skimmer - undecided
    Fuge light - probably another ufo like my display
    return pump - probably a jabeo dc pump
    controller - not going to run one

IMG_1081.jpg

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Welcome Back! - Boundava   Here is a coral to tide you over until you decide what to get for your 40 - bpete   Sorry for the ich, you'll defeat it. - mch1984   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   

0 Not allowed!
    Hooray! Hooray! Hooray! BTW, all builds are cool in their own way. I'm so glad you're sharing this.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

0 Not allowed!
    Should keep you busy if you're not going with a controller. I see lots of manual alk/Ca/Mg testing in your future with this setup

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For luck with your cycle. - Slaphppy7   Have a tetra, glad your here ;-) - steeler58   They didn't have an eel so here's a foxface haha - BluewaterBoof   

0 Not allowed!
    I could always do a Jabeo dosing pump or something but well see. If I ever upgrade my 90 gallon controller Ill move the classic apex to the frag tank.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    So good news, tank was ordered today. Hoping I can make the drive and pick it up this weekend.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    As I prep for the tanks arrival I need to start getting some plans together on how I want to set this up. What do you guys think about this? My thought was if I have the flow coming in on one end, probably with the nozzels that generate a little random flow. Then add the gyre to the other end, that will create some turbulent and random flow for the coral .

LOWBOY FLOW.png

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas to You and Yours! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Win or lose, here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Cheers! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    Just frags....yeah, just frags, listen to me, like that will be easy ... Looking forward to following this project along. Marine tanks are NOT easy.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

3 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Taurus View Post
    Just frags....yeah, just frags, listen to me, like that will be easy ... Looking forward to following this project along. Marine tanks are NOT easy.
    No but they are fun. I like growing coral as much as I like keeping a marine tank. I think thats part of why I'm doing this project.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Taurus View Post
    Marine tanks are NOT easy.
    Oh come now Larry! They aren't THAT bad haha

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    @Spardas and @BluewaterBoof, what do yall think of the flow idea?