· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

0 Not allowed!
    I like it. I would have the gyre pulsing nice and slow so that you can get some alternating current in the tank.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For luck with your cycle. - Slaphppy7   Have a tetra, glad your here ;-) - steeler58   They didn't have an eel so here's a foxface haha - BluewaterBoof   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by BluewaterBoof View Post
    I like it. I would have the gyre pulsing nice and slow so that you can get some alternating current in the tank.
    Yeah that was kind of my thought. I figure when it pulses it will help in creating some good random flow in the tank. I'm thinking with a strong return pump an ice cap 1k should do the trick.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

0 Not allowed!
    I go more for alternating current as opposed to random flow. One side is constant at a lesser strength and the opposing side is stronger and will kick on every 10 seconds and stay on for ten seconds. This will start pushing the water back the other way, giving about 5 seconds of random currents as the stronger pump starts to overtake the weaker flow, followed by a good five seconds of the uniform flow to the right side. Then when the strong pump kicks off, I get another 5 seconds of random flow as the smaller pump regains momentum followed by five seconds of uniform flow going to the left.

I hope that makes sense...

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For luck with your cycle. - Slaphppy7   Have a tetra, glad your here ;-) - steeler58   They didn't have an eel so here's a foxface haha - BluewaterBoof   

1 Not allowed!
    I go more for alternating current as opposed to random flow. One side is constant at a lesser strength and the opposing side is stronger and will kick on every 10 seconds and stay on for ten seconds. This will start pushing the water back the other way, giving about 5 seconds of random currents as the stronger pump starts to overtake the weaker flow, followed by a good five seconds of the uniform flow to the right side. Then when the strong pump kicks off, I get another 5 seconds of random flow as the smaller pump regains momentum followed by five seconds of uniform flow going to the left.

I hope that makes sense...
    I know what your talking about, it's a good method. Should give this tank a good flow pattern.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the laugh! - BluewaterBoof   Congratulations on the return! - AmazonJoe   Thank you for your inside and suggestions - Silbar   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   You need one more for the 17ft tank lol - BluewaterBoof   

0 Not allowed!
    Look at Boof, speaking like a master.

Ebb and flow.

For corals, they would prefer turbulence and surge currents. You don't want to just have the flow going in one direction. Also, have to consider what you are placing in the tank. What type of corals and livestock is important to consider when creating currents.
    Think with logic and rationality more than emotion. Act with moderation and consideration. Contemplate ideals and realistic goals and weigh out possibilities and options. Temper not with personal delusions or false hope but learn to accept and move on.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Spardas View Post
    Look at Boof, speaking like a master.

Ebb and flow.

For corals, they would prefer turbulence and surge currents. You don't want to just have the flow going in one direction. Also, have to consider what you are placing in the tank. What type of corals and livestock is important to consider when creating currents.
    So I guess the question would be is the single gyre fighting the returns be enough to create the surge and turbulence? This will be just a grow out and sell/trade tank. Once it's wet I'll start with zoa and maybe some other softies. Then build my way up to a doser and growing some LPS and SPS in it for sale.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Welcome Back! - Boundava   Here is a coral to tide you over until you decide what to get for your 40 - bpete   Sorry for the ich, you'll defeat it. - mch1984   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   

1 Not allowed!
    Uhm. Yep. That all sounds good. I have no helpful advice, but I'll cheer from the sidelines. Go, Matt!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    So I was on the fence about lighting, but I am not any more. I had considered SB reef because the reviews were excellent and prices are fair. I spoke to the owner on facebook a couple of nights ago and I am sold on it now. For the simple reason that he did not try to upsale me on anything, in fact the opposite. I asked if he suggested a single 32" or two 16" for the lowboy. The short version of his response was a single 16" mounted 18" above the tank. I can not be more impressed with a business owner that sales you what you need not what makes him more money.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas to You and Yours! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Win or lose, here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Cheers! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Oh come now Larry! They aren't THAT bad haha
    I guess not Boof for those that have the resources available to them. Corals are fascinating and beautiful. Like I said, I look forward to following along.

Quote Originally Posted by mch1984 View Post
    Locally we have a great community of reefers and there is a lot of trading and selling coral among members and I want to join in.
    My point exactly about resources. I'm not complaining, just stating facts.
    Last edited by Taurus; 08-22-2018 at 03:48 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mch1984 View Post
    So I guess the question would be is the single gyre fighting the returns be enough to create the surge and turbulence? This will be just a grow out and sell/trade tank. Once it's wet I'll start with zoa and maybe some other softies. Then build my way up to a doser and growing some LPS and SPS in it for sale.
    Hmmmm...how strong is the gyre pump?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast