Aquarium Forum
 


Menu
  · Tropical Fish Home
· Fish News
· Aquarium Forum
· Calculators
· Free Aquarium Ebook
· Feedback
· Photo gallery
· Plant species
· Tropica Plant DB
Tropical fish species
· By Common name
· By Scientific name
Tropical Marine fish
· By Common name
· By Scientific name

Articles
  · African Cichlids
· Algae Control
· Aquarium Decoration
· Aquarium Resources
· Aquatic Plants
· Barb Fish
· Betta Fish
· Breeding Fish
· Catfish
· Central American Cichlids
· Cichlids
· Clownfish
· Corals
· Corydoras Catfish
· Discus Fish
· Dwarf Cichlids
· Fish Diseases
· Frogs and Turtles
· Goby Fish
· Goldfish
· Gourami
· Invertebrates
· Jellyfish
· Killiefish
· Lake Victoria Cichlids
· Livebearers
· Malawi Cichlids
· Marine Aquariums
· Marine Aquarium Fish
· Other Fish
· Pleco
· Predatory Fish
· Photography
· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 25
  1. #11

    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    utah
    Posts
    495

    Awards Showcase

    Latest gifts & ribbons:

    Here's a betta for you. - Slaphppy7   For your oscar heimlich rescue :) - BluewaterBoof   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

    Default


    1 Not allowed!
    it is hard to tell from the pics for sure but my guess is that the bottom yellow one is an Melanochromis auratus "Golden Mbuna or auratus" I believe the top one is a female Matlandia lobardoi or "Kenyi cichlid" both are pretty fiesty fish.
    Brian

    I wish I had a Fish Wish Dish.

  2. #12

    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    33

    Latest gifts & ribbons:

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Ok guyz just to avoid confusion. I've got more tank. And pic was the other part of 8 gallon tank. And you'll be relieved to know that there's a separator glass between both of chiclids.
    Yesterday Yellow one was about to bash blue one and I waited for like 30 mins just too see if it stops but it was like it wanted other dead.

  3. #13

    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    6,787

    Awards Showcase

    Latest gifts & ribbons:

    Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

    Default


    2 Not allowed!
    I guess I’m the resident ghost knife guy here. You need a big tank for the knife. At least 75gal. They get to be huge, in excess of a foot long. You need a tank that it will be able to turn around in.

    It’s shy because it is blind, and it is nocturnal. It uses electrical pulses to map out its surroundings, similar to how a bat uses echolocation. You need to get it to eat or else you will stunt its growth. If fed properly, it will have outgrown your 20gal in a matter of a few months. They do best in a large environment with lots of driftwood and plants to feel secure when it is daytime.

    BGKs are incredibly cool fish and my favorite freshwater one, but unless you know you can provide the environment and level of care that it deserves you should consider re-homing it so that it can thrive.

    Just my $0.02

  4. #14

    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    33

    Latest gifts & ribbons:

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Hi, could you please share pictures or Aquarium environment that I need to make it feel happy? I would also like to know how shall I make it feel secure and at the same time make it more interactive with me.
    Quote Originally Posted by BluewaterBoof View Post
    I guess Iím the resident ghost knife guy here. You need a big tank for the knife. At least 75gal. They get to be huge, in excess of a foot long. You need a tank that it will be able to turn around in.

    Itís shy because it is blind, and it is nocturnal. It uses electrical pulses to map out its surroundings, similar to how a bat uses echolocation. You need to get it to eat or else you will stunt its growth. If fed properly, it will have outgrown your 20gal in a matter of a few months. They do best in a large environment with lots of driftwood and plants to feel secure when it is daytime.

    BGKs are incredibly cool fish and my favorite freshwater one, but unless you know you can provide the environment and level of care that it deserves you should consider re-homing it so that it can thrive.

    Just my $0.02

  5. #15

    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    utah
    Posts
    495

    Awards Showcase

    Latest gifts & ribbons:

    Here's a betta for you. - Slaphppy7   For your oscar heimlich rescue :) - BluewaterBoof   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

    Default


    1 Not allowed!
    after seeing the updated pictures I don't think the blue one is a Kenyi. I am not sure on the identification on it. as far as the aggression goes if possible you might try getting them into a larger tank. and adding plenty of rock work to create some territory separation. if you got a bigger tank you could also try adding a mix of similar sized cichlids to defuse aggression or get a group of the same species as youngsters and raise them up together and then you might end up with a pair or two. IMO it can be dicey to try and find a mate for an already established fish. first you need to be sure you are getting the right sex and even then there are no guarantees that they will get along much less breed. if you cannot swing a larger tank for them then at least try and add some rocks to create caves and break up their field of sight a little. cichlids can be tough as nails but still need some extra consideration when it comes to their setup. I will let someone else chime in regarding your inquiry about the ghost knife habitat. happy fish keeping.
    Brian

    I wish I had a Fish Wish Dish.

  6. #16

    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    6,787

    Awards Showcase

    Latest gifts & ribbons:

    Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

    Default


    1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by AnimalLover90 View Post
    Hi, could you please share pictures or Aquarium environment that I need to make it feel happy? I would also like to know how shall I make it feel secure and at the same time make it more interactive with me.
    This is the tank I keep mine in. It is 90gal, which is 48” long by 18” wide. I’m still aware that I may have to re-home it at some point if it keeps growing. The 90 has the same footprint of a 75gal, just a bit taller.

    Lots and lots of plants. There are also multiple pieces of driftwood on the left side of the tank, you just can’t see them because I have allowed the anubias and ferns to swallow them up. Don’t let the photo fool you, it is a pretty decent size tank and there are hundreds of plants in there.

    9E36031D-086F-45C0-9583-C77E16268B6E.jpg
    CADE6F06-486E-4C8D-9FD5-FDB92F26CD51.jpg

    As for getting the ghost to come out and be more interactive for you, that will come with the comfort. Get lots of cover, whether it is plants or driftwood, and take out other aggressive fish that will harass it. Start feeding the tank at nighttime after lights out. That is when it naturally emerges to hunt. Give it a variety of foods, tubifex worms, earthworms, sinking carnivore pellets. Mine will even go for brine shrimp. Once it starts feeding at night for a while and comes out more when the lights are out, you’ll have better luck getting it to be active during the daytime because it will be more familiar with the tank and less skittish.

    It is nocturnal, as mentioned before. Some people have ghosts that are more active during the day, but that varies from ghost to ghost. If you do not have a moonlight mode on your tank’s light, you can order a cheap LED moonlight strip off eBay for like $5. Run that at night with the rest of the lights in the room dim or off, and sit in front of the tank and you should get a pretty decent show as it comes out to hunt for food, especially if it is conditioned to being fed around that time.

    Good luck and feel free to send me PMs with any questions you may have.

  7. #17

    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    33

    Latest gifts & ribbons:

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    An Update!

    The big tank in picture is of 100 gallon per calculation in snapshot. Never realized untill I measured it to get a glass separater to divide it. (BGK ate my betta's fins)

  8. #18

    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    33

    Latest gifts & ribbons:

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by bpete View Post
    after seeing the updated pictures I don't think the blue one is a Kenyi. I am not sure on the identification on it. as far as the aggression goes if possible you might try getting them into a larger tank. and adding plenty of rock work to create some territory separation. if you got a bigger tank you could also try adding a mix of similar sized cichlids to defuse aggression or get a group of the same species as youngsters and raise them up together and then you might end up with a pair or two. IMO it can be dicey to try and find a mate for an already established fish. first you need to be sure you are getting the right sex and even then there are no guarantees that they will get along much less breed. if you cannot swing a larger tank for them then at least try and add some rocks to create caves and break up their field of sight a little. cichlids can be tough as nails but still need some extra consideration when it comes to their setup. I will let someone else chime in regarding your inquiry about the ghost knife habitat. happy fish keeping.
    I've got five .7" cichileds that includes 1 with yellow and black horizontal lines, 1 blue vertical lines, two smaller Jwell and 1 small 5 color Cichiled.

    And then I realized that Thug life award goes to my old Mbuna. It fought with every fish in that tank like keanu reevs in John Wick and Iko in the raid 2. But honestly I'm not proud of him/her.

    Now it is sitting in. 7 gallon bowl with bamboo plants and a mud cave.

  9. #19

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Global
    Posts
    2,608

    Awards Showcase

    Latest gifts & ribbons:

    Thanks for the laugh! - BluewaterBoof   Congratulations on the return! - AmazonJoe   Thank you for your inside and suggestions - Silbar   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   You need one more for the 17ft tank lol - BluewaterBoof   

    Default


    2 Not allowed!
    I don't think you are getting the message or simply don't want to heed to advice of the people who has taken time out of their life to give you some valuable inputs.

    From all the pictures you post, none of those tanks are 100 gallons. Now, if you went out and got yourself a 100 gallons tank, then that's a different story. If you can't provide a good home for your fishes, don't keep them as you are only making their lives miserable. I've heard too many people say they will get a bigger tank but they never do and the fish end up stunted or dead. I don't want to come off harsh but that's just the reality of it.
    Think with logic and rationality more than emotion. Act with moderation and consideration. Contemplate ideals and realistic goals and weigh out possibilities and options. Temper not with personal delusions or false hope but learn to accept and move on.


  10. #20

    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    33

    Latest gifts & ribbons:

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Spardas View Post
    I don't think you are getting the message or simply don't want to heed to advice of the people who has taken time out of their life to give you some valuable inputs.

    From all the pictures you post, none of those tanks are 100 gallons. Now, if you went out and got yourself a 100 gallons tank, then that's a different story. If you can't provide a good home for your fishes, don't keep them as you are only making their lives miserable. I've heard too many people say they will get a bigger tank but they never do and the fish end up stunted or dead. I don't want to come off harsh but that's just the reality of it.
    I do understand what you mean. I feel bad when I see my fishes are in stress. The only fish that suffered most is my betta and somewhat companion of Golden Mbuna.

    I was certain that my other tank is 20 Gallon as mentioned before but I attached the snapshot that says my tank got capacity of 100 gallon (L 37" B 21.6" H 30.5") even I'm confused, I'm not a mathematician that I will calculate water capacity, but believe me, new cichileds are in peace, not even single of them is gazing at another and 3.5" bgk is happy in big tank.

    I'm not sure why Golden Mbuna is so aggressive, it had same behavior when it was in big tank with other tiny Cichiled only.

    When there will be need for a bigger tank my fish supplier will take it back (free) just like I'm going to return Mubna.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •