· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sexing Gold Ram

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Need help one more time...this GBR looks like a female but lacks the pinkish belly...Snapchat-465971687.jpeg

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    I'm pretty sure that's a young male. The dorsal ray doesn't look extended, but it still looks more spiky than my female GBRs. The body looks longer and leaner to me and I feel there would be a hint of pink on the belly if it was female. The other clue is no iridescent blue specks in the black dot. My 2 cents.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the reply...most of the males I have had haven't had these marking. Most of my females have and pinkish bellies.

Here's a different pic..

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Idk, my guess is still a male. The pelvic fins look more pointed and also the other end of the dorsal.

Here's a pic of one of my females (gravid) when she was young
    20180825_205954.jpg
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - AmazonJoe   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - AmazonJoe   

1 Not allowed!
    Looks like a male to me with the way the fins are very pronounced and come to a point at the end of the dorsal

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks Joe...

Update...definitely a male and paired up with a female last night. Took over the clay dish. In their own tank now.

I moved the Gold Ram into my 40g due to nothing happening with the female GBR. Introduced a GBR male and they seemed to hit it off. Just them in their own tank. Only thing is, she has never laid eggs yet. About 6 months old.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    That doesn't mean anything. Some females don't lay eggs until there's a male present. My smallest female GBR just laid eggs for the first time at a year old or more. Feed them lots of nutritious foods and keep the water clean, they will breed no doubt!
    -Kat

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks...I'll keep an eye on her.

While cleaning tanks tonight, I inadvertently vacuumed up some eggs that I didn't see laid on the silicone. Luckily I was able to save them in a bowl and put an air stone on them. Let's see if anything comes of that.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Is there anything else in the tank where you found the eggs? Good luck! I hope they are breeding for you!
    -Kat

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Nothing else in the tank...