· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Thread: City water

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome back! - Slaphppy7   

Default City water

0 Not allowed!
    In my old house, and as a kid, I had a well so I never dealt with city water before. It shocked me on my first water change on this tank that the temperature of the water coming out of my sink was 76 degrees. I guess I never thought about how city water isn't coming from below ground so it isn't near as cold. Have any of you had it where the water is too warm comming out of your faucet to put in your tank? I'd imagine with some of these 100+ degree areas the water could get pretty warm.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the rep! - WhistlingBadger   Thank you for your friendship - Silbar   Happy Easter - Silbar   Happy Father's Day! - Silbar   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Yes. My "cold" tap temp in the summertime can reach as high as 88F.

I keep my tanks around 77-78F, so adding water that warm during a WC would be devastating to my fish (found out the hard way, long ago)

To counteract the hot tap temps, I keep frozen water bottles during the summertime, and float them in the tanks as I add fresh water.

Size of tank/amount of water changed determines how many bottles I use per tank....I like to do large WC's (70% or so), but in the summertime, I can't do that much, not enough frozen water bottles would fit in the tanks, lol...so summertime WC's for me are around 50%
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   Sending you a geophagus to  tank you for your analytical powers! - discusluv   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   

0 Not allowed!
    water out of tap is coming out at 84 f for me right now and I have hard water. No point in me fighting the temp of the water since it will go back up to arond 83/84. The garage tank stays at 88, but it's well aerated, never had gasping fish

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Merry Christmas - steeler58   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

0 Not allowed!
    Yep, mine comes out at around 84*F, as well.

My freshwater tanks will jump in temp from the water changes and climb to about 81-82, but I've never had any issues with it. I used to float bags of ice to drop the temps again, but I stopped that as the gradual natural drop from the ambient room temp is probably less stressful than putting bags of ice in the tank.

My reef tank is a bit different. I don't dare risk a swing in temp. The RODI water is stored in a 14gal barrel where it is mixed to the correct salinity and temperature before it enters the tank.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's a betta for you. - Slaphppy7   For your oscar heimlich rescue :) - BluewaterBoof   

0 Not allowed!
    indeed, 80 to 83
    Brian

I wish I had a Fish Wish Dish.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

So sorry, RIP Big Blue - Slaphppy7   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   You will win this battle against the nematodes. - RiversGirl   teacher/friend - marc4   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by BluewaterBoof View Post
    Yep, mine comes out at around 84*F, as well.

My freshwater tanks will jump in temp from the water changes and climb to about 81-82, but I've never had any issues with it. I used to float bags of ice to drop the temps again, but I stopped that as the gradual natural drop from the ambient room temp is probably less stressful than putting bags of ice in the tank.

My reef tank is a bit different. I don't dare risk a swing in temp. The RODI water is stored in a 14gal barrel where it is mixed to the correct salinity and temperature before it enters the tank.
    I think if I had the problem, I'd float pop jugs of ice in the aging container before I add the water to the tank. I agree, up and then down might be stressful? I might be concerned with gas bubble disease if I was adding warmer water, correct?
    Sorry the tap water is so warm four you folks :(
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the rep! - WhistlingBadger   Thank you for your friendship - Silbar   Happy Easter - Silbar   Happy Father's Day! - Silbar   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by angelcraze2 View Post
    I might be concerned with gas bubble disease if I was adding warmer water, correct?
    (
    Yes, indeed

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Merry Christmas - steeler58   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

0 Not allowed!
    I don't worry about gas bubble disease. I use my Python/microbubble trick for tap water, and with my saltwater tank the water is being aged and splashed around quite a bit in the mixing drum before it ever gets near the tank.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    I had never heard of GBD, until I unintentionally killed 4 perfectly healthy fish by introducing new water into my tank that was too warm...many others suffered in the tank, it was obvious by watching their behavior, and their shortened lifespans

I don't worry about GBD either, because it won't happen again in my tanks and to my fish

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome back! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    I'm glad my tap water is at 76 after seeing some of yours! I enjoyed my old house since I could just mix my hot and cold water till I had a match. When I use to live with my parents they had a water softener hooked up to the hot water. I didn't want to add that water to my tank so I had to do the 5g bucket method. What a pain! I would boil a pan of water and then fill the rest of the 5g bucket with the well water. That usually got me slightly higher then my tank water, and then I would wait till it cooled to add it to the tank. I'm spoiled now with the python, I'd rather not go back to buckets! Especially since I'm changing 30 to 50g of water on this tank.

Quote Originally Posted by BluewaterBoof View Post
    I don't worry about gas bubble disease. I use my Python/microbubble trick for tap water, and with my saltwater tank the water is being aged and splashed around quite a bit in the mixing drum before it ever gets near the tank.
    What is your python microbubble trick?