· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on winning the DT! - Silbar   Congrats on the Platy fry - Silbar   Congrats on the shrimp! - Silbar   I loved the vid - Silbar   sfsamm - Boundava   

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by AnimalLover90 View Post
    I understand and these fishes were in my last tank and I've bought new setup. Now please answer what I've actually asked.
    I'd use my old filter media and avoid the cycle all together just for future reference.

I offered advice above on how to add ceramics to your filter. Laying them around the tank will do little to no good unless you like their appearance.

FYI... Assuming exactly what you have after your stock listing, your apt to be looking for a much larger tank quite soon. May want to start that research while they grow the next couple months in the setup they are in now.

Oh and no you can't have too much filtration, media etc and definitely not to much ceramics in the filtration. Just keep the flow rates around the tank high enough to provide enough surface agitation for sufficient oxygen exchange, and not so high your fish are stressed by fighting constant current if that's not their nature.
    Last edited by sfsamm; 08-09-2018 at 11:58 AM.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks. I was kinda dumb to change the whole setup including filters as well. I got good money for that and got this 20 Gallon and more equipments as upgrade.

So I'm trying to correct my mistake ASAP and I need help from you guyz.

i went to a local fish store and got 2 liters of water from an old highly over stocked Koi carp (Canester filterd) and big sharks tank and dumped the Ceramic in it. Its going to be in sunlight fir a few more days in closed polythene bag.

Do you guys think it would work?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   Sending you a geophagus to  tank you for your analytical powers! - discusluv   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   

1 Not allowed!
    Thanks. I was kinda dumb to change the whole setup including filters as well. I got good money for that and got this 20 Gallon and more equipments as upgrade.

So I'm trying to correct my mistake ASAP and I need help from you guyz.

i went to a local fish store and got 2 liters of water from an old highly over stocked Koi carp (Canester filterd) and big sharks tank and dumped the Ceramic in it. Its going to be in sunlight fir a few more days in closed polythene bag.

No, because the bacteria need ammonia from the fish, oxygen from the air, and carbon from the water. Old water is bad for the fish. Go back to the store and get some filter media from them to seed your new filter.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on winning the DT! - Silbar   Congrats on the Platy fry - Silbar   Congrats on the shrimp! - Silbar   I loved the vid - Silbar   sfsamm - Boundava   

2 Not allowed!

I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish doing that? I've never heard of anything like that at all in 30 years and the sunlight definitely isn't going to do anything except grow algae and I can think of a few other adverse things that whole thing could do... Maybe I don't see the big picture but soaking ceramics in the sun in a bag of used pond water isn't something I'd do.

Wash them, do not use soap, put them in a media bag and put it in your filter. You're cycling from scratch as it is I'd not risk introducing any other issues. Do water changes every couple days until your cycle kicks around over the next several weeks and remember next time to keep your filter media :)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   You will win this battle against the nematodes. - RiversGirl   teacher/friend - marc4   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   

0 Not allowed!
    Idk, when my filter broke, I dug out my internal fluval filter. I had way too much ceramic media, so I had the filter blowing on the media bag of ceramic media. I actually loved the setup so much I kept it when I added a new Aquaclear 50. I added the ceramic media bag back to the HOB, but kept the internal filter. I have the internal filter also pushing the water from there HOB around. I also filled the whole bottom compartment with ceramic and put the floss on the outside secured with a nylon stocking to act as a prefilter. It doesn't look the prettiest, but it's been keeping my tank nice and clean. That way I just clean the floss and I barely have to clean the ceramic. I haven't yet in 4 months.

Does your water contain chloramines? Do you have a water conditioner?
    I use Seachem Prime. It's great for cycling tanks as well since it neutralizes ammonia and nitrite.

What about a test kit? I use the API master kit. The test strips aren't very accurate.

Amazon had these available. I just didn't know which to link. (.com or .ca)
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   You will win this battle against the nematodes. - RiversGirl   teacher/friend - marc4   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   

0 Not allowed!
    For cycling the tank faster, there are nitrifying bacteria products available in a bottle. The bacteria are in spore form and activate in the tank. Many ppl feel they are a waste of money, but I 100% believe they help and have used them to cycle my tanks or even adding a bunch of stock at once. I feel they helped.
    https://www.amazon.ca/ATM-Aquarium-P.../dp/B00BS97WU8

Of course BB from another established tank is probably better, but I would never trust the media at the LFS. So many diseases and pathogens you don't want to risk in your new system with fish.

You also would have to ensure you have enough media with water flowing through it so the BB can colonize somewhere. They will settle and grow on all porous surfaces like glass, substrate, decor, but it's best aerated with flow. So most of your BB will house themselves in the filter.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat