· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

Default Aponogenton seed pods

0 Not allowed!
    My aponogentons are forever sending up flower stalks. Occasionally, they develop these seed pods (I think), but I always lose the seeds when the flower disintegrates. I never noticed seeds floating, never saw any baby plants.

Does anyone know what I could do to propagate these? Are they seeds? I'm not even sure which aponos they are, although one is most likely crispus.

Here's some ugly photos. For some reason my phone's pics are not good lately.
    20180806_154158.jpg
    20180806_153951.jpg

Thanks!
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on the Platy fry - Silbar   Congrats on the shrimp! - Silbar   I loved the vid - Silbar   sfsamm - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    I've gotten them occasionally also. I looked into it at some point and was under a vague understanding that they need a dry and dormant period but never really could find any solid info. I'd be interested if you find something on it.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    I totally missed your response! Thanks for your help!

I didn't find too much out, except that the seeds fall off when ready (the stalk melts) and float in a boat thing until they eventually sink. They must not leave the water and fish find apono seeds delicious apparently. I actually can confirm that asI watched one of my angels munch one. The cool thing is he still spit the baby apono and just ate the float pod. I picked up all the ones I could find and put them in a net. I added any that fell off afterward.

Today, I have mini aponos growing!
    20180814_235558.jpg
    20180814_235542.jpg

Gonna let them sit on top of soil in a grow out tank. Wish me luck :) I really want more of this aponogenton and I don't even know what it is.

Here's a pic of the leaves and an attachment of the plant
    20180815_000134.jpg
    Can anyone ID this aponogenton? I'd really love to know!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 08-15-2018 at 04:21 AM.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Actually, it may be aponogenton longiplumulosus
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apon...ongiplumulosus
    which would be nice since it's an apono from Madagascar and I was going for a west African plant scape in this tank. The only thing that doesn't fit is I didn't notice any purple flowers.

I also have aponogenton crispus seed pods maturing, but this one is from Asia. It'll be good for the breeder tanks when I start them, they are so large. But I'm very happy I got babies from the other apono for my 90g :)
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on the Platy fry - Silbar   Congrats on the shrimp! - Silbar   I loved the vid - Silbar   sfsamm - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    Haha how far off was I with how far I got looking into it, I was down the wrong rabbit hole! Sweet deal you've gotten them going. That is a beautiful apono! If you ever find yourself in excess I would love to take some off your hands lol. I'm terrible at id on plants beyond vague info like crypt var or sword var so I can't help with that but it is definitely growing stunningly in your tank!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I would love to share my apono seeds! Here's hoping I can grow out some plantlets. If I fail this time, I'm sure it will bloom anD grow more babies :)

Just gotta figure out how to ship them! Now I'm very excited!

Btw, I'm pretty sure my Madagascar lace is going through a dormant period. I moved it from the shaded background closer to the front because it's much shorter than I thought it would be. I think some apanos go thru dormant periods, but I haven't experienced that yet.
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 08-15-2018 at 04:41 PM.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   

1 Not allowed!
    When I had them in the 75 and they were sending up flower stalks like fools, I simply let the pods fall off and they would eventually make it to the eco and start growing, it became a mess so I eventually had a 10 gallon full of babies when I set up the shrimp tanks.

10-20 gallon 5 (1).jpg

Think starting them in a dirted tanks is a good idea. I never needed a dormant period for the seeds.
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    That is awesome! Thinking about getting a clear tub instead of tying up one of the tanks in case I needed to use it for QT. Also, I'd have one tank tied up with plants and no room for fish! Here's hoping anyway. AND, I don't have to worry about disease following the plants.

Thanks for the pic and your experience with them. That tank is awesome!

Do you know what type of apono I have in my tank? Is it longiplumulosus?
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   

1 Not allowed!
    The leaves say it probably is, but they produce purple flower according to what I have read. They easily hybridize with other varieties so you may have I hybrid. I had crispus, undulatus (sold to me as crispus), longipulmosis, madgascariensis and henkelianus (both lace varieties), ulvaceous and boivinianus at one point, when I can I want to get them all back again.
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Ahh, see, they could of cross-fertilized. I have crispus with white flowers blooming at the same time. The flowers on the unknown apono were farther apart then the nodes on the crispus flowers.

So my seeds might not produce the same looking apono?

I also kept a pet spider to help fertilize. See him in the original pic of the flowers?
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 08-15-2018 at 06:35 PM.
    -Kat