· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Exclamation New Tank!!! HELP!!

2 Not allowed!
    OKAY SO!! One of my neighbors had a really nice tank. I know her favorite fish died and after that, she no longer wanted the tank. I'm not sure what she did with the other fish and I'm afraid to ask but she gave me the tank and everything she had with it (water conditioner, pebbles, decor, filter, heater, led light, food, test trips, air pump). I'm SOO happy she gave me the tank because I've always thought about having an aquarium and I love having pets. I need some help because this was thrown on me sorta out of nowhere. The dimensions are 24.2 in length 19 in height and full width is 15 with the rear width being 12.3. From that, I gathered that it is an about 25.4 (or just 25) gallon bowfront tank. So my question is I guess is how do I get started? I know I need to cycle the water, but I'm not sure how to do that. I also know I want plants somewhere in there and I definitely want a community tank! As many fish as I can fit in that bad boy without overstocking. The fish and their happiness are important to me so I want to be sure I do this correctly so they have their own little ecosystem going! I would like a nice centerpiece fish in the community as well; maybe a betta? Anyways, please help me out! Thank you!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

3 Not allowed!
    Welcome to the AC.

Read as much as you can in the beginner freshwater section, pay special attention to this: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640

This test kit is a necessity: https://www.amazon.com/API-FRESHWATE...VMCQSAH1G9Y0S8

This is the best water conditioner IMO, get a bottle: https://www.amazon.com/API-FRESHWATE...VMCQSAH1G9Y0S8

I am moving this thread to the Beginner Freshwater section for more/better responses

Good luck with your tank
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - ApistoJoe   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

3 Not allowed!
    That sounds like a 26g bow front, which is the first tank I bought my son many years ago. (I've since sold it) I like the looks of that tank, but being so tall and not too wide or long, there are some challenges. However, you should be able to create a really nice tank with some nice fish in there. Take your time and research a lot.

First, become familiar with the fish-less cycling process that Slap linked above for you. Using this method of cycling will give you and the fish the best chance for success. Next, consider the "look" of the tank. This is personal to each person. I prefer some driftwood and lots of live plants. Others use various rocks/stone and plants and end up creating truly wonderful aquascapes. Some use both wood and rocks. Look around for pictures of various tanks to see what you like. There are many on this forum.

Do you know what kind of light you have? I would look mostly at low-medium light plants and considering the height of the tank, look for some plants that are taller for the back/sides, and then not so tall for the middle/front. Vallisneria, water wisteria hygrophilia corymbosa (giant hygro, temple plant) are some easier, taller plants to consider. Anubias are shorter plants that can be attached to driftwood or rocks in the middle/front. And there are several varieties of crypts to fill in around those.

Substrate - you mention you were given "pebbles". Assuming this is some type of gravel, it may or may not provide the best start for live plants. Other substrates to consider might be some type of sand: pool filter sand is cheap and light in color; Caribsea Instant Aquarium Tahitian Moon sand is black and more pricey; there are many other options out there at varying prices.

Finally, fish. You'll want to know your water parameters and there are test kits for those - the main one is the one Slap linked above. To add to that there is a separate kit to test KH and GH. Read the explanation on this product at the bottom of the page - https://www.liveaquaria.com/product/5100/?pcatid=5100 As you decide what can live in your water, you'll also want to check the compatibility of species. Your quote "As many fish as I can fit in that bad boy without overstocking" shows your enthusiasm but ultimately, you want to do a lot of research here. For a tall tank like you have with a not too large foot print, you'll want to consider compatible fish that will occupy different levels of the tank - top, middle, and bottom. You also want to consider what is readily available to you. Do you have a local fish only store near you or are you limited to the chains like Petsmart and Petco? Will you consider having fish shipped to you. This is a big consideration when choosing stock.

For success, start with patience and research. You've made the first step by posting here. Continue to ask specific questions as you begin and learn more.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's a betta for you. - Slaphppy7   For your oscar heimlich rescue :) - BluewaterBoof   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    welcome to the forum. you have taken your first step to success already by reaching out to the community for advice and guidance.
    Brian

I wish I had a Fish Wish Dish.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on 3,000, have an oyster! (?) - Slaphppy7   For giving your daughter a tank, scaping rights included! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to all of you! - Boundava   sorry to hear about your knee. since you dont drink herea a slice - bpete   

3 Not allowed!
    Welcome! Good advice so far. Here are my advice for starting-out essentials:
    1. Familiarize yourself with how the nitrogen cycle works, as already mentioned.
    2. If you could give us some specifics about substrate, lighting, and filter, we can help you get going on a planted tank.
    3. Get a test kit, as already mentioned. Strips are better than nothing, but a master kit/hardness kit are best.
    4. For stocking, you can google search "25 gallon community fish." But do your research and (at risk of sounding arrogant) check out what you find with us over here. There is a LOT of bad information out there from people and companies who should know better. Once you've decided on some species, check out aqadvisor.com. It's a good place to start. If you keep your stocking level under 100%, you won't go far wrong.

Good luck! Thomas