· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - ApistoJoe   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

Default Cobalt Aquatics - Good Company

3 Not allowed!
    Just thought I'd post for those of you who have Cobalt Neo-Therm heaters as I do. I unplug my heaters when doing water changes and when plugged back in, these heaters always reset themselves to the temp I had previously set for each tank. Yesterday my 150w failed to reset and stuck at 82F - steady green at 82F, blinking at 78 (my usual temp for this tank). Pushing the top button I just could not get it to circle around to manually reset the temp. I did wc's on 4 tanks yesterday and the other 3 reset themselves properly. I took one of these and reset it again - just to test it - and it circled around fine so I could set it back to the temp I wanted. Since the tank with the 150w heater did climb in the next couple of hours to 82F, I left it unplugged. This morning the tank was sitting at 74F which I believe is more comfortable for my fish than 82F.

The 150w heater was purchased a little over 2 years ago and these have a 3 yr warranty. So I e-mailed Cobalt Aquatics last night, told my story, attached a copy of my invoice (love Amazon), and I had a response this morning when I logged in. They asked for the Lot # which is on the cord near the plug, and are sending a new heater out Monday - no return necessary. I still really like these heaters and the company has been so easy to deal with as far as honoring the warranty, I just wanted to give them a shout out. And just as a caution to those with these heaters, maybe check them from time to time and see if you can reset them. We all know heaters will fail at some point. Need to catch it as soon as possible.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas to you and your family :-) - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you too! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Congrats! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    These are really great heaters- been using the Neotherm for about 8 years now, So easy to set and view temperature. Glad to hear the customer service is top-notch as well.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

0 Not allowed!
    I have a Colbalt heater for my reef, although it is a different model (Accu-Therm). I haven't been too impressed with it as each time I would shut it off to do my water changes I had a similar issue in that it would heat the water up to the low 80s and I would have to mess with the knob each time I brought it back online. I got so tired of the issue that I just have it laying down in the sump so that when I do water changes I don't have to turn it off anymore.

As for the company, I do like the support. When I received my heater back in November, it was missing the mounting bracket that the suction cups attach to. When I sent them an email about the missing bracket, instead of sending me the missing bracket they just dropped a whole new heater in the mail for me :) So yeah, I don't have any qualms with their support.

It bears mentioning that the additional heater they sent me (which is now used in my saltwater mixing barrel) suffers from the exact same issue as the other one; the thermostat goes wonky every time the heater is unplugged and wants to bump the temp up to the low 80s even with the dial set to ~77*F.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Belated Birthday! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by SueD View Post
    Just thought I'd post for those of you who have Cobalt Neo-Therm heaters as I do. I unplug my heaters when doing water changes and when plugged back in, these heaters always reset themselves to the temp I had previously set for each tank. Yesterday my 150w failed to reset and stuck at 82F - steady green at 82F, blinking at 78 (my usual temp for this tank). Pushing the top button I just could not get it to circle around to manually reset the temp. I did wc's on 4 tanks yesterday and the other 3 reset themselves properly. I took one of these and reset it again - just to test it - and it circled around fine so I could set it back to the temp I wanted. Since the tank with the 150w heater did climb in the next couple of hours to 82F, I left it unplugged. This morning the tank was sitting at 74F which I believe is more comfortable for my fish than 82F.

The 150w heater was purchased a little over 2 years ago and these have a 3 yr warranty. So I e-mailed Cobalt Aquatics last night, told my story, attached a copy of my invoice (love Amazon), and I had a response this morning when I logged in. They asked for the Lot # which is on the cord near the plug, and are sending a new heater out Monday - no return necessary. I still really like these heaters and the company has been so easy to deal with as far as honoring the warranty, I just wanted to give them a shout out. And just as a caution to those with these heaters, maybe check them from time to time and see if you can reset them. We all know heaters will fail at some point. Need to catch it as soon as possible.
    Thanks for sharing your experience Sue, I use these in a couple of my tanks, and have had no issues with them for a few years now

Good to know their customer support can be relied upon
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - ApistoJoe   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by BluewaterBoof View Post

It bears mentioning that the additional heater they sent me (which is now used in my saltwater mixing barrel) suffers from the exact same issue as the other one; the thermostat goes wonky every time the heater is unplugged and wants to bump the temp up to the low 80s even with the dial set to ~77*F.
    This is similar to the problem I started having with the Aqueon Pro heaters which I used to use and like. After a while, I had to set the temp lower - sometimes 5-6 degrees lower - than I wanted the tank at. I was constantly checking my thermometers, then the heater settings. The nice feature of the Cobalt Neo Therm heaters is that they show both the actual current tank temp and the temp that the heater is set at. If they're the same, there will be one temp light glowing steady. If they differ, the actual tank temp will blink and the set temp is a steady light.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

0 Not allowed!
    I’ve never cared for the form of the Neo Therms. I may look into them in the future now that I have a sump so they would be out of sight, but considering I’ve had problems with both of my Cobalts I’m not too sure I’d invest in more of them.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    This is all really weird to me. I use Fluval and Eheim heaters and I've never had an issue like that, knock on wood. The temp is always very consistent, I've never even heard of that, seems like a dangerous issue. It would make me worry too much.

It's nice that the company replaced the heater without hassel though. Hopefully they've fixed the issue.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat