· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 3 of 49 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Gods Country, Eastern High Sierras, California

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

To new fish! - Slaphppy7   Second round ;) - Slaphppy7   It's a hot toddy. - Taurus   Here's to the "blue ribbon" tetra! - Slaphppy7   Hope you had a happy birthday! We are both March babies :) - discusluv   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   

3 Not allowed!
    Good advice from Slap , there have been many discussions on keeping Serpae on the forum; again some people have kept them no problems in larger schools, but I have never had such luck.

If you could restock them and find the aforementioned "Red phantom tetra" a fish that has similar colors, but stays smaller and is a very peaceful social fish, I believe you would be better off.

Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    @steeler58 What was your experience with them if you don't mind? I didn't know you had them. The red phantom is my favorite tetra so far and I can't find any for the last two years :(
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    I was sold the serpeas as my first fish. I would have ended up rehoming them because I didn't keep anything else with them. I tried head and tail light tetras and they were nipped to death. I was a fresh newbie and all of them got fin and tail rot. The sepeas were fine lol. Go figure.

If you could rehome the serpeas, that would be ideal given the size of your tank. I'd like to see the serpeas in a big school ina big tank with bigger more robust fish.

What do you think? Could the OP do a school of CC instead of serpea in a 29g? I love the red phantom and they are a better size for a 29g. Could the OP do a 5-6 group of CC with 8-10 red phantoms?

Keeping red phantoms instead of serpeas makes a huge difference. Red phantoms are very docile and a bit smaller. I also find them a brighter red.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Also, if you rehomed the serpeas, it would open up the possibility for a centerpiece fish like a ram or gourami.
    -Kat

Gods Country, Eastern High Sierras, California

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

To new fish! - Slaphppy7   Second round ;) - Slaphppy7   It's a hot toddy. - Taurus   Here's to the "blue ribbon" tetra! - Slaphppy7   Hope you had a happy birthday! We are both March babies :) - discusluv   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   

4 Not allowed!
    I tried to keep Serpae in a large community tank similar to what I keep now, a group of ten, they quickly dominated the tank, harassing every fish that was smaller, slow moving or had flowing fins. I remember watching in horror as one swam around the tank with a neon that was half it's size, half swallowed, all the Cory's fins nipped, needless to say I took them back to the dealer for a school of Lemon tetra. We had an awesome member here who's name was "Sandz" who recounted a story a few years ago, of how a group of them decimated and entire tank of his before he could do anything, I've spend the last few minutes searching for that thread, but had no luck as it was very informative.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For luck with your son's recovery - Slaphppy7   Healing prayers for Henry - RiversGirl   DIY water chnager, nice job! - Slaphppy7   My heart goes out to you and your little boy.  He is so strong and so are you. - angelcraze2   Healing prayers for little Henry (superman) - Silbar   
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    Also, don't let the scientific names of fish intimidate you, just copy and paste into a Google search to learn for about them, and their common names

Tiger barbs would hold their own against serpaes (they're also a pretty aggressive fish), but 29G is too small for both

What kind of filter(s) is on the tank?...can you post a pic of the tank?...what temp do you keep it at?
    There are 2 Aquion quietflo 10s on it which I believe is currently over filtering the tank. They are each rated for 20 gallons. Temperature is kept at 78.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For luck with your son's recovery - Slaphppy7   Healing prayers for Henry - RiversGirl   DIY water chnager, nice job! - Slaphppy7   My heart goes out to you and your little boy.  He is so strong and so are you. - angelcraze2   Healing prayers for little Henry (superman) - Silbar   
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mspringer View Post
    There are 2 Aquion quietflo 10s on it which I believe is currently over filtering the tank. They are each rated for 20 gallons. Temperature is kept at 78.
    Haven't had much luck posting pics on here from my IPhone yet.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by steeler58 View Post
    I tried to keep Serpae in a large community tank similar to what I keep now, a group of ten, they quickly dominated the tank, harassing every fish that was smaller, slow moving or had flowing fins. I remember watching in horror as one swam around the tank with a neon that was half it's size, half swallowed, all the Cory's fins nipped, needless to say I took them back to the dealer for a school of Lemon tetra. We had an awesome member here who's name was "Sandz" who recounted a story a few years ago, of how a group of them decimated and entire tank of his before he could do anything, I've spend the last few minutes searching for that thread, but had no luck as it was very informative.
    Yikes! That's no cool!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by angelcraze2 View Post
    Also, if you rehomed the serpeas, it would open up the possibility for a centerpiece fish like a ram or gourami.
    You don't think I could do a ram with them? Or any other larger fish?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by angelcraze2 View Post
    Yeah, I would say so. I didn't have them together, but I have red phantoms with the hy511 and they make separate shoals for the most part. Atm, I only have one old hy511 left and he hides a lot. When there's many, the behavior is totally different. It's difficult for me to answer the question because the serpeas were on their own and the other tetras always lived with angelfish, so they stayed a bit lower out ofthe angelfish's way. My lemon tetras swim a bit higher though, even with the angelfish and they are super active, pretty nippy like the serpeas, just to let you know. I will be restocking the lemon tetras, I like them a lot.

I've never kept zebra danio, but I think they are higher strata and very quick.
    Seems like either zebras the lemon tetras or a variation of rasbora might work? Thoughts?

Page 3 of 49 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast