· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Goldfish compatible with Catfish? Chichlid?

1 Not allowed!
    Hello all!
    I accidentally got into aquarium life when my son won two goldfish at a festival in November 2016. When we brought the 2 home, they were sickly and we didn't think they were going to make it. Well, they made it, and instead of the sickly 1" goldfish they were when we won them, they are now a beefy 7-8" long! We have bumped them from 3 aquariums in their short lifetime just to accommodate their ever growing size.

When I was on the market for at least a 55 gallon tank, a man offered to sell me his 75 gallon tank and a ton of accessories for $60! It was a steal, and without knowing what I was really getting myself into, I purchased it for my 2 goldfish. The man also insisted I take his 2 catfish (I think Upside-down catfish Synodontis nigriventris) and one Chichlid. They all range about 6-8" long as well. I've kept the catfish and Chichlid together in a 40 gallon tank since January. I was going to bring them to my classroom for class pets, but was not given permission by my admins ;(.

My problem now is, I am expecting a baby in November with barely any pay during the 6 weeks maternity leave, things are going to get tight.
    The upkeep for 2 tanks is already expensive with filters alone. We don't really want to get rid of any fish, but we're wondering if it would be okay to combine them so we can come down to just one tank.
    After a little research, I think that the Chichlid isn't going to jive well with the goldfish, even though they are the same size roughly. And I am getting mixed research on whether or not the catfish will do well with the goldfish. I want to be thoroughly sure everyone is going to get along before I put anyone together.

Thanks for any input! :D

I attached pictures for reference, sorry about the quality... they love to move!

IMG-0938.jpg
    IMG-0943.jpg
    IMG-0960.jpg
    IMG-0970.jpg
    IMG-0975.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by GoldfishMom; 07-29-2018 at 11:25 PM. Reason: pics were upside down!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   Sending you a geophagus to  tank you for your analytical powers! - discusluv   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   

3 Not allowed!
    rehome the other fish and make your life easier. Combining the tanks won't make maintenance that much easier.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - RiversGirl   Merry Christmas - SueD   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Good luck with your goldfish tank - Silbar   

2 Not allowed!
    Agree 100%. Those goldfish would do much better in a pond, they need a lot more room than a 75 will give them.
    Two 5.5g- Shrimp tanks; 1st with 4 chilis, green endlers & Bloody Mary shrimp and 2nd with blue star endlers and Blue Dream shrimp
    Four-27 gallon tubs, 1st w/ BN plecos; 2nd w/ gouramis, rainbow fish, kuhli, dojos and female endlers; 3rd w/ albino corys, pepper cory, panda corys; 4th is 90% plants and one Diva-pea puffer.

75g-now the TUB tanks:
    5.5 G Shrimp Tanks
    75g-Goldfish Tank

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's a betta for you. - Slaphppy7   For your oscar heimlich rescue :) - BluewaterBoof   

1 Not allowed!
    indeed your goldfish will be needing a bigger tank as they are probably not through growing. another issue with mixing them is that your synodontis catfish and Convict cichlid do better at tropical temps. your goldfish will do better at a little lower temps. like Rocksor mentioned your maintenance will still increase as you will end up needing to do more partial water changes.

BTW welcome to the forum.
    Brian

I wish I had a Fish Wish Dish.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Valentine's to you too :) - angelcraze2   Great job on the dentist's tank! - Slaphppy7   Congrats on 3,000, have an oyster! (?) - Slaphppy7   For giving your daughter a tank, scaping rights included! - RiversGirl   

1 Not allowed!
    Wow, those are beauties! I'm curious about why your filters are so expensive. What kind of filters are you using, and where is the cost coming from? I suspect we can help you with that.

Gods Country, Eastern High Sierras, California

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday! - discusluv   Happy Easter - Silbar   Congratulations on finally getting that "dream tetra" youve been looking for! :) - discusluv   I hope you get well soon! - Silbar   Happy Father's Day! - Silbar   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    Another consideration; Goldfish carry different diseases than tropical's
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

So sorry, RIP Big Blue - Slaphppy7   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   You will win this battle against the nematodes. - RiversGirl   teacher/friend - marc4   

0 Not allowed!
    I really like your syno cat and cichlid peeking out. He seriously looks saltwater in that coral decor!
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

So sorry, RIP Big Blue - Slaphppy7   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   You will win this battle against the nematodes. - RiversGirl   teacher/friend - marc4   

0 Not allowed!
    About getting the 75g instead of the 55g, I think that was a better purchase 100%. Bigger tanks are actually easier to take care of if you can change out water easily. My python makes this task a sinch.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0002...gBL&ref=plSrch

A 75g is better size for the catfish and cichlid, but without the goldfish because they need more room eventually.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill   Happy New year - Celtic Fins   May the Anti troll force be with you. - Celtic Fins   2001 posts! - Northernguy   For your helpful fry advice - Cliff   

2 Not allowed!
    My advice would be to rehome the goldfish, particularly if you know or can find someone with a pond for them. They really aren't suited to aquariums in the long run. The catfish are Synodontis eupterus, aka featherfins, and the 75 will be barely big enough to keep both of them. They can be quite territorial with their own species, but if they've been raised together and happen to be opposite sexes they may be alright. Those grow quite fast, I've brought home 1" babies that grew to full adult size (larger than yours from the pic) in less than 6 months.
    The cichlid is a convict, a very common and quite hardy species.

^^^^Please click the eggs/dragons, thanks...^^^^