· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For luck with your son's recovery - Slaphppy7   Healing prayers for Henry - RiversGirl   DIY water chnager, nice job! - Slaphppy7   My heart goes out to you and your little boy.  He is so strong and so are you. - angelcraze2   Healing prayers for little Henry (superman) - Silbar   
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   

Default Mid to upper level dwellers tank mates for serpae tetra.

0 Not allowed!
    Currently have a 20 gallon high tank with...

6 serpae tetra
    3 Cory cats

Went from an initial 3 to 6 serpaes yesterday. I think one of them is on the bashful side because it runs and hides frequently...the others follow...

I am not ready to add any more just yet but looking for ideas for the best tank mates for these. Preferably something that is mid to top dwelling and that will possibly keep the serpaes active. I was hoping for either another small school or some sort of centerpiece type fish that is a good contrast or compliment to the serpaes.

Ideas I have thus far...

Harlequin rasboras
    Lemon tetra
    Black skirt tetra
    Black neon tetras
    Blood fin tetras
    Zebra danios
    Glofish danios(my 4 and 6 year olds love the look of the glowfish)

I've also considered just making the school of serpae larger but i was hoping to get something that stayed out front and active and added some dynamic.

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

2 Not allowed!
    Corys do much better in a large group of 8+. You will see a different and more active behavior. The same goes for serpaes, where a larger group like 12+ will get a more dynamic, active and confident group.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For luck with your son's recovery - Slaphppy7   Healing prayers for Henry - RiversGirl   DIY water chnager, nice job! - Slaphppy7   My heart goes out to you and your little boy.  He is so strong and so are you. - angelcraze2   Healing prayers for little Henry (superman) - Silbar   
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocksor View Post
    Corys do much better in a large group of 8+. You will see a different and more active behavior. The same goes for serpaes, where a larger group like 12+ will get a more dynamic, active and confident group.
    With that many serpae and no others species will the serpae still stay as a tight group or will they get comfortable and scatter a bit more? I really like how they look when they are together as a tight group, wish they would get out front a bit more though.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

for you sick fish - mac   I'm sorry waylon!  Didn't mean at all to discredit you!  Sorry to hear of your crazy mean angelfish!  You taught me a lesson. - angelcraze2   For being a friendly memeber - mac   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   great job on figuring out your photos - bpete   

0 Not allowed!
    Any danios would do great!
    My Aquarium Journals:

LiveBearer Aquascape

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   Hope you had a wonderful day. - Taurus   HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

2 Not allowed!
    It is my opinion that the zebra danios at least would require a tank with a longer swim span/length than the tank that the OP has.
    Learn from yesterday
    Live for today
    Hope for tomorrow

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mspringer View Post
    With that many serpae and no others species will the serpae still stay as a tight group or will they get comfortable and scatter a bit more? I really like how they look when they are together as a tight group, wish they would get out front a bit more though.
    In my experience, all of the fish I've kept eventually spread out once they get comfortable. Even my rummynose tetras, which many claim to be one of the better schooling species, gradually loosened up and were all over their tank within a week or two.

That being said, I agree with @RiversGirl. A 20high is only marginally larger in length and width than a basic 10g tank. I do not suggest stocking the tank much more than it already is. A lot of fish like to swim laterally, not vertically. It's going to get crowded in there very quickly. Personally, I would just boost the numbers of the cories and serpaes, as Rocksor suggested.

As for your list, the only one that will really make an effort to stay in the upper level of your tank is the harlequin. I've kept them in multiple community tanks and they almost always remain in the top 6" of the tanks. Hatchets are also some good picks for surface-dwellers, although you will need to have a good lid to keep potential jumpers from trying to carpet surf.

Gods Country, Eastern High Sierras, California

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

To new fish! - Slaphppy7   Second round ;) - Slaphppy7   It's a hot toddy. - Taurus   Here's to the "blue ribbon" tetra! - Slaphppy7   Hope you had a happy birthday! We are both March babies :) - discusluv   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    I would just up the Serpae school as suggested, I would never trust them with similar species no matter the size of the school, IME they always single out the weak and slow moving fish and harass them to death, that being said; other people have kept them with no problems.

Just my two cents ;-)
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    IMG_7129.PNG
    Quote Originally Posted by BluewaterBoof View Post
    In my experience, all of the fish I've kept eventually spread out once they get comfortable. Even my rummynose tetras, which many claim to be one of the better schooling species, gradually loosened up and were all over their tank within a week or two.

That being said, I agree with @RiversGirl. A 20high is only marginally larger in length and width than a basic 10g tank. I do not suggest stocking the tank much more than it already is. A lot of fish like to swim laterally, not vertically. It's going to get crowded in there very quickly. Personally, I would just boost the numbers of the cories and serpaes, as Rocksor suggested.

As for your list, the only one that will really make an effort to stay in the upper level of your tank is the harlequin. I've kept them in multiple community tanks and they almost always remain in the top 6" of the tanks. Hatchets are also some good picks for surface-dwellers, although you will need to have a good lid to keep potential jumpers from trying to carpet surf.
    Based on aquavisor with 6 serpae tetra 4 albino corys and 6 danios my aquarium stocking would be at 98%. With harlequin rasboras instead of danios it would be at 90%. Thoughts?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

2 Not allowed!
    stick to one school of swimmers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

1 Not allowed!
    No one likes hearing this, but if you want lots of fish or multiple species you need a big tank, or more than one.

As luck would have it, Petco is having one of their big sales right now. You can pick up a nice 20long for only $20, or you can get a sweet 40breeder for only $50.