Aquarium Forum
 


Menu
  · Tropical Fish Home
· Fish News
· Aquarium Forum
· Calculators
· Free Aquarium Ebook
· Feedback
· Photo gallery
· Plant species
· Tropica Plant DB
Tropical fish species
· By Common name
· By Scientific name
Tropical Marine fish
· By Common name
· By Scientific name

Articles
  · African Cichlids
· Algae Control
· Aquarium Decoration
· Aquarium Resources
· Aquatic Plants
· Barb Fish
· Betta Fish
· Breeding Fish
· Catfish
· Central American Cichlids
· Cichlids
· Clownfish
· Corals
· Corydoras Catfish
· Discus Fish
· Dwarf Cichlids
· Fish Diseases
· Frogs and Turtles
· Goby Fish
· Goldfish
· Gourami
· Invertebrates
· Jellyfish
· Killiefish
· Lake Victoria Cichlids
· Livebearers
· Malawi Cichlids
· Marine Aquariums
· Marine Aquarium Fish
· Other Fish
· Pleco
· Predatory Fish
· Photography
· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20
  1. #11

    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    698

    Awards Showcase

    Latest gifts & ribbons:

    For luck with your son's recovery - Slaphppy7   Healing prayers for Henry - RiversGirl   DIY water chnager, nice job! - Slaphppy7   My heart goes out to you and your little boy.  He is so strong and so are you. - angelcraze2   Healing prayers for little Henry (superman) - Silbar   
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   

    Default


    1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by BluewaterBoof View Post
    No one likes hearing this, but if you want lots of fish or multiple species you need a big tank, or more than one.

    As luck would have it, Petco is having one of their big sales right now. You can pick up a nice 20long for only $20, or you can get a sweet 40breeder for only $50.
    If I get another aquarium though I still have to up filtration and get another lid/light too.

    What would you guys recommend as the best stock in my 20 with the tetras and corys. 5 corys 9 serpaes?

    What other fish would you recommend if I got a bigger tank?

    Do you all like 20 longs better than 29s? I know length wise they are similar.

  2. #12

    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Albuquerque, NM
    Posts
    6,638

    Awards Showcase

    Latest gifts & ribbons:

    Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Merry Christmas - steeler58   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Yeah, that sounds about right for the 20g.

    20longs are really nice if you want to do a planted tank as they are short and don't require a lot of light to penetrate to the bottom. Very sleek profile. The 29g is a little bit harder to light if you want demanding/carpeting plants as it is a bit taller, but it is still a nice tank. If you don't care about doing a planted tank, then lighting won't be an issue. The 29g has the same footprint (WxL) as a 20long, but is half a foot taller. That extra height will give you room for tall plants, bigger driftwood/decor, and some exploratory fish. You could have some good variety in a 29g. I had some pristellas, harlequins, couple different species of shrimp, boraras brigittae, and a large beautiful pearl gourami in my 29g. I also had a large school of neons in there at first, but that was some irresponsible overstocking (I was new to the hobby at that time) and I eventually moved them once I started keeping other tanks.

    Keep an eye out in local FB aquarium groups and your Craigslist ads. Really good deals on used tanks pop up a couple times a month. Most of the deals include all the supporting equipment and sometimes you can score a stand with the tank. FB groups usually have more reasonable prices as the members are aware of the depreciation that comes with used aquarium stuff. Craigslist will sometimes have more tanks for sale at any given time, but the prices are usually pretty ridiculous as the sellers think they can make back what they put into the tank. Always try countering those ones with the high sales prices. Even if they don't accept your offer, they usually come back after a few days or a week when they realize they can't sell it to anyone else for what they're asking haha

  3. #13

    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    698

    Awards Showcase

    Latest gifts & ribbons:

    For luck with your son's recovery - Slaphppy7   Healing prayers for Henry - RiversGirl   DIY water chnager, nice job! - Slaphppy7   My heart goes out to you and your little boy.  He is so strong and so are you. - angelcraze2   Healing prayers for little Henry (superman) - Silbar   
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by BluewaterBoof View Post
    Yeah, that sounds about right for the 20g.

    20longs are really nice if you want to do a planted tank as they are short and don't require a lot of light to penetrate to the bottom. Very sleek profile. The 29g is a little bit harder to light if you want demanding/carpeting plants as it is a bit taller, but it is still a nice tank. If you don't care about doing a planted tank, then lighting won't be an issue. The 29g has the same footprint (WxL) as a 20long, but is half a foot taller. That extra height will give you room for tall plants, bigger driftwood/decor, and some exploratory fish. You could have some good variety in a 29g. I had some pristellas, harlequins, couple different species of shrimp, boraras brigittae, and a large beautiful pearl gourami in my 29g. I also had a large school of neons in there at first, but that was some irresponsible overstocking (I was new to the hobby at that time) and I eventually moved them once I started keeping other tanks.

    Keep an eye out in local FB aquarium groups and your Craigslist ads. Really good deals on used tanks pop up a couple times a month. Most of the deals include all the supporting equipment and sometimes you can score a stand with the tank. FB groups usually have more reasonable prices as the members are aware of the depreciation that comes with used aquarium stuff. Craigslist will sometimes have more tanks for sale at any given time, but the prices are usually pretty ridiculous as the sellers think they can make back what they put into the tank. Always try countering those ones with the high sales prices. Even if they don't accept your offer, they usually come back after a few days or a week when they realize they can't sell it to anyone else for what they're asking haha
    So I think I'm getting a 29 gallon. Based on that what recommendations do you guys have for additional stocking? Adding to the Cory and serpae tetra schools and adding an additional top level swimmer or swimmers

  4. #14

    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Albuquerque, NM
    Posts
    6,638

    Awards Showcase

    Latest gifts & ribbons:

    Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Merry Christmas - steeler58   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    So the cories and serpae would be moved over to the 29g?

  5. #15

    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    698

    Awards Showcase

    Latest gifts & ribbons:

    For luck with your son's recovery - Slaphppy7   Healing prayers for Henry - RiversGirl   DIY water chnager, nice job! - Slaphppy7   My heart goes out to you and your little boy.  He is so strong and so are you. - angelcraze2   Healing prayers for little Henry (superman) - Silbar   
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by BluewaterBoof View Post
    So the cories and serpae would be moved over to the 29g?
    That is correct

  6. #16

    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Albuquerque, NM
    Posts
    6,638

    Awards Showcase

    Latest gifts & ribbons:

    Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Merry Christmas - steeler58   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Some options to go along with those in a 29g would be:

    Neons or cardinal tetras
    Black neon tetras
    False neon or green tetras
    Flame gourami (upper level)
    Pearl gourami (upper level)
    Pristella/xray tetras
    Penguin tetras
    Harlequin rasbora (upper level)
    Hathchetfish (surface)
    Boraras brigittae (chili "rasboras")

    I wouldn't pick more than two species from those listed above, and that may be pushing it depending on how many of a specific species you get. The false neons and boraras are incredibly small, so you could get quite a few of those in a 29g, around 15-20. Only one gourami. If you choose just one additional species to go along with the serpae, you could do like 10-12 of each, but if you choose to add two more species I wouldn't go much higher than around 8 of each along with the serpae.

    For the bottom dwellers, you could also add a group of banded kuhli loaches to add some interesting variety. Some amano shrimp would also be nice.

  7. #17

    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Albuquerque, NM
    Posts
    6,638

    Awards Showcase

    Latest gifts & ribbons:

    Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Merry Christmas - steeler58   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    What is your water quality like? Is it hard with a basic pH, or soft and acidic? If it is really soft and acidic, otocinclus cats would be a great addition. They don't do well in harder water.

  8. #18

    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    698

    Awards Showcase

    Latest gifts & ribbons:

    For luck with your son's recovery - Slaphppy7   Healing prayers for Henry - RiversGirl   DIY water chnager, nice job! - Slaphppy7   My heart goes out to you and your little boy.  He is so strong and so are you. - angelcraze2   Healing prayers for little Henry (superman) - Silbar   
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by BluewaterBoof View Post
    What is your water quality like? Is it hard with a basic pH, or soft and acidic? If it is really soft and acidic, otocinclus cats would be a great addition. They don't do well in harder water.
    It's hard and PH is naturally in the high range 7.8ish. Prolly work on getting it closer to 7 as time goes by

  9. #19

    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Albuquerque, NM
    Posts
    6,638

    Awards Showcase

    Latest gifts & ribbons:

    Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Merry Christmas - steeler58   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    I'd avoid the otos, then. They're a lot more sensitive to hardness and pH, and most folks who put them in their tanks experience some pretty high mortality rates.

  10. #20

    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    698

    Awards Showcase

    Latest gifts & ribbons:

    For luck with your son's recovery - Slaphppy7   Healing prayers for Henry - RiversGirl   DIY water chnager, nice job! - Slaphppy7   My heart goes out to you and your little boy.  He is so strong and so are you. - angelcraze2   Healing prayers for little Henry (superman) - Silbar   
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Mspringer   

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by BluewaterBoof View Post
    I'd avoid the otos, then. They're a lot more sensitive to hardness and pH, and most folks who put them in their tanks experience some pretty high mortality rates.
    What about a centerpiece fish?

    I'm picturing...
    4 albino corys
    8 serpae tetra
    And then either 1 or two centerpiece fish or another school of smaller fish.

    My serpaes seem to hang out more bottom to middle though so I'm really wanting something that uses the rest of the space and catches the eyes of my 3 young sons.

    Thanks in advance!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •