· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   Hope you had a wonderful day. - Taurus   HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

2 Not allowed!
    Cool tank. She picked out a neat castle.
    Learn from yesterday
    Live for today
    Hope for tomorrow

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's a betta for you. - Slaphppy7   For your oscar heimlich rescue :) - BluewaterBoof   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    I love the pic of Bruce Lee climbing the castle. it could be the start of a great action/adventure movie.
    Brian

I wish I had a Fish Wish Dish.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on 3,000, have an oyster! (?) - Slaphppy7   For giving your daughter a tank, scaping rights included! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to all of you! - Boundava   sorry to hear about your knee. since you dont drink herea a slice - bpete   

2 Not allowed!
    OK, quick update now that everybody's healthy again.

We had to tear the tank down and rebuild it, since I didn't put enough sand over the dirt and the water turned brown. Looking a lot better now. Trying to get the hairgrass and val to take root. I am teaching the Badgerling to replant stuff herself so she can eventually take over maintenance of this tank.

Lost a few amanos, but otherwise all the critters are doing well. We're finally going to start adding salt this evening, and I finally sprang for a cheapo refractometer. Should be here Wednesday.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    Great job guys, looking forward to more updates!

Once the tank clears, a new FTS would be nice, as well

Sorry about the amanos, BTW
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on 3,000, have an oyster! (?) - Slaphppy7   For giving your daughter a tank, scaping rights included! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to all of you! - Boundava   sorry to hear about your knee. since you dont drink herea a slice - bpete   

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    Full
    Tank
    Shot
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Welllllp, I am here to report that I am an utter failure at growing plants in a brackish tank. So, we tore this tank down and tried to re envision it as an unplanted tank.

Have I mentioned that I am also an utter failure at keeping fish alive in an unplanted tank?

Bruce the crab is still alive and, by all I can tell, doing fine. So that's good. But we have lost quite a few guppies, nerites, and amano shrimp. Probably due to poor water quality. Non-planted tanks just don't work for me. Part of our problem, too, is that this is one of those self-contained little jobs, with the filter built in. But since we needed an inescapable land area, we had to run the water several inches below the designed level, which means the filter can't run the way it's supposed to. No biggie, I thought, plants will make up the difference. Weird thing about that: Dead plants do very little to stabilize one's water chemistry and keep one's critters happy.

Now, I have gotten fairly good at planted tanks, and to be honest, barren tanks just look ugly to me. More importantly both to me and to my daughter, I have become rather accustomed to having my critters live nice, long, healthy lives. All these losses really, really bug me.

So.

Bruce is currently living in a fish bowl with a nice land area while we reevaluate how to do this tank. There are really three options:

1. Move Bruce permanently into the fish bowl, and redo the 5 tg tank as a planted freshwater. This would probably be the easiest option...a little planted nano tank would be cool. It would mean getting this fish bowl livable for Brucey long-term, which possibly isn't as bad as it sounds: He actually has a lot more land area to explore now than in the "real" tank, and enough water to wet his gills. The challenges are how to provide heat and aeration without providing escape routes. Haven't solved those problems just yet.

Or it might mean finding a new home for Bruce, which would be sad. He's such a cool little critter.

2. Make this tank work as a planted brackish tank. Some sort of nano-paludarium would be really cool. But that depends on finding plants that are salt-tolerant. So far the no-dice list includes such hard-to-kill plants as hairgrass, java fern, java moss, vallisneria, and even water sprite. I would really like to pursue this option, but I have no real clue where to go from here. ideas?

3. Figure out how to make this tank work as a non-planted, semi-aquatic tank. Obviously, I'm leaning against that because, as I mentioned, the filter doesn't work right, and besides, I like plants.

So, that's where things currently stand with the little kung-fu master.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   Hope you had a wonderful day. - Taurus   HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

0 Not allowed!
    Have you considered trying Anacharis / Elodea?
    I'm wondering if you might be able to keep some in both tanks so you could have a ready stem available to acclimate into this little one, whenever you wanted to float a new piece.
    Learn from yesterday
    Live for today
    Hope for tomorrow

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah, that might be worth a try--that stuff's pretty hard to kill as long as it has enough light.