· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

3 Not allowed!
    Cool! What salt brand did you end up with? Did you pick yourself up a hydrometer or refractometer and get your salinity dialed in?

It is important to note that salt mixing should be done in a separate container and only added to the tank after it has mixed. Never add marine salt directly to a tank. Not sure if you were aware of that already but just wanted to mention it, just in case.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on 3,000, have an oyster! (?) - Slaphppy7   For giving your daughter a tank, scaping rights included! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to all of you! - Boundava   sorry to hear about your knee. since you dont drink herea a slice - bpete   

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks, Andre. I just picked up some API aquarium salt from the LFS. It says it's for "freshwater use," but it's made from evaporated sea water, so it should do. I will start adding some once all the critters and plants are in. I plant to increase the salinity to "brackish" over a period of about two weeks so the animals and plants can adjust.

I got a hydrometer, but it's the float kind and it's fairly worthless. So I'll need to get a better one.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Welcome Back! - Boundava   Here is a coral to tide you over until you decide what to get for your 40 - bpete   Sorry for the ich, you'll defeat it. - mch1984   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   

2 Not allowed!
    For my brackish tank I use Instant Ocean. I've found that 1.5 tablespoons per gallon mixes to 1.005 salinity pretty consistently.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you!  Miss you at the forum. - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   
    Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Silbar   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Silbar   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - Silbar   

3 Not allowed!
    Fiddler crab tank and American Girl dolls.....what more could a young girl want?
    Sil's 2nd Time Around 75G...Journal
    Sil's 75G...Journal
    Sil's 20L...Journal
    Sil's 10G...Journal

RIP Deb, we miss you.

Real courage is moving forward when the outcome is uncertain~~Fortune Cookie

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on 3,000, have an oyster! (?) - Slaphppy7   For giving your daughter a tank, scaping rights included! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to all of you! - Boundava   sorry to hear about your knee. since you dont drink herea a slice - bpete   

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Silbar View Post
    Fiddler crab tank and American Girl dolls.....what more could a young girl want?
    It's a pretty good life. ha ha ha

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhistlingBadger View Post
    Thanks, Andre. I just picked up some API aquarium salt from the LFS. It says it's for "freshwater use," but it's made from evaporated sea water, so it should do. I will start adding some once all the critters and plants are in. I plant to increase the salinity to "brackish" over a period of about two weeks so the animals and plants can adjust.

I got a hydrometer, but it's the float kind and it's fairly worthless. So I'll need to get a better one.
    Interesting. My knee-jerk reaction was "NO!" to using a freshwater tonic to create a brackish system, but I felt I should look into it more before making any kind of comment on it haha

There seems to be a fairly divided stance on using API and other freshwater salts. A lot of the folks who are for it state what you did, that it is made from evaporated sea water and that their animals were fine with it. On the other side, the naysayers claim that salt from evaporated sea water does not reconstitute properly and has a different composition than what it did before, lacking certain minerals and pH buffers. More interesting was that there were some folks who said they started with API but their crabs would not approach the water all that often until they switched to the commercial marine mixes.

It was definitely an interesting read and I'm curious as to how it works out for you.

As for the hydrometer, they can be a bit finicky at times but they aren't as awful as some people make them out to be. I use a cheap Instant Ocean hydrometer to ballpark my mixes simply because it is so quick and easy to use and then bust out my refractometer to make any final small adjustments. I've found that my hydrometer almost always measures the same as the refractometer. Reading it on a leveled surface, making sure no bubbles are stuck to the float, and rinsing well before and after use so that no salt residue impedes the float's ability to swing freely will all help ensure that you are getting fairly accurate readings. As long as you take care of the hydrometer, I don't think you'll need to spend more money to get a more expensive instrument. :)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Welcome Back! - Boundava   Here is a coral to tide you over until you decide what to get for your 40 - bpete   Sorry for the ich, you'll defeat it. - mch1984   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   

2 Not allowed!
    I think you will be fine with the hydrometer. From what I've read in my research, brackish critters are used to some swings in salinity. A small change here or there during WC is probably not going to be a big deal. If you were to do a large WC and the salinity was quite a bit higher or lower, that would probably cause some critter stress.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Yeah, I've read that brackish environments tend to be inherently unstable, so the critters that live there are pretty good at rolling with the punches. I'll keep it as stable as I can, but I'm not going to get too stressed about it. Thanks for the recommendations, guys.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons: