· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Cory eggs!!!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on the Platy fry - Silbar   Congrats on the shrimp! - Silbar   I loved the vid - Silbar   sfsamm - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    Oh well, at least you gave them a chance...they fungused in the meth blue?....I didn't think that was possible, but I've never had eggs that made it, either
    Well I've never used MB more than 3 days... I was wondering if I should WC the tub and re-add MB to it on day 3-4... I didn't. But maybe I should have. Regardless I was a bit miffed as it was the first batch they all looked the same amd none ever changed so I kinda thought I might have had no good eggs anyway but if I did then I knew a WC on hatch day could be detrimental so I didn't push it.

It's alright, they haven't spawned since, I'm fairly sure I upset them the tub in their tank so hopefully they'll get back to it in another week or two. I accepted a new job this past week also though so maybe it was for the best I wasn't trying to sort how to raise out fry while this is happening anyway.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Belated Birthday! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Understood...congrats on the new job
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on the Platy fry - Silbar   Congrats on the shrimp! - Silbar   I loved the vid - Silbar   sfsamm - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    I have a baby! I was doing nothing.... During wc today I was sucking up what I thought were moldy eggs.... Then saw one swimming.... I feel like a turd... But there is one swimmer left for sure.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a cory for all your great pics ;-) - steeler58   Have a cory for all your great pics ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - RiversGirl   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Aahhhh great
    No Cory, No Glory !!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    So if ordered golden pearls a bit back, completely forgot about them after I got notice they'd be a while on backorder or whatever... Randomly this morning I remembered that USPS put something in my box while I was painting so omw out the door to catch my ride to work I grabbed the package so it didn't sit out all day.... It was my golden pearls! So question is this, to get food to the baby Cory(ies) in a 20g tank with 5 adults how much would you guys think I should add daily? Twice daily?
    I got the CPD fry down pat but they're a totally different setup.... Or should I try an find and pull the fry and add it(them) to the grow up tank where there's no adults and it(they) will have ample feeding opportunity without competition? Grow up I use for CPD is only 10g but I imagine it would be fine the first few weeks so long as I don't end up discovering like 40 fry

( still can't believe I was syphoning them away like moldy eggs yesterday evening)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - ApistoJoe   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Is this 20g with the adults just a bare bottom tank? Any decor in there?

I can only tell you that the one cory duplicareus I had hatch in a 20g tank received no special attention/food from me as I never knew he was there. I never saw eggs and there are pencilfish and green neon tetras in this rather densely planted tank. So any other eggs must have been eaten or fungussed. But this one little guy just appeared one day and obviously found enough food to sustain himself. He's a year old now. What I don't know is if any other eggs did, in fact, hatch and those fry did not make it because they did not find enough food. I don't think they would have been eaten after hatching.

If the tank is bare bottom, it should be easy to keep clean of excess food if needed.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by SueD View Post
    Is this 20g with the adults just a bare bottom tank? Any decor in there?

I can only tell you that the one cory duplicareus I had hatch in a 20g tank received no special attention/food from me as I never knew he was there. I never saw eggs and there are pencilfish and green neon tetras in this rather densely planted tank. So any other eggs must have been eaten or fungussed. But this one little guy just appeared one day and obviously found enough food to sustain himself. He's a year old now. What I don't know is if any other eggs did, in fact, hatch and those fry did not make it because they did not find enough food. I don't think they would have been eaten after hatching.

If the tank is bare bottom, it should be easy to keep clean of excess food if needed.
    Yes it was actually their qt (had them since May) but they started laying eggs and since I'd planned to get a few more I left them and have been kinda working on getting some babies up. So the adults are in there. There's also a chunk of driftwood, a long stone and a couple fake plants. Just basically the stuff I don't much like but keep to provide cover in QT :)

It's got a super ultra fine and very light sand about 1-2"-3/4" deep. Usually my QTs have some sort of cheap substrate this one has the sand that syphons just like water.

The tank is unlit and actually right next to my kitchen sink so water changes are crazy easy (hence why no bucket searching for other babies, they'd have went straight down the drain). I can do daily wc if nitrAtes are ticking up until he(they) are grown enough to see better and I'll catch up on syphoning. Right now it's 5 adults in a 20g tank their nitrAtes are under 10 at the end of the week.

But it's only been up since May and there's no light just some dim ambient lighting, it's not pitch dark or anything, but north side of the house and around the corner from the window under a cabinet lol, so natural foods are going to be exceptionally sparce I'd think.

I just don't want to completely go overkill trying to get him food with the adults all swarming around. I've got dbbs, Sera micro and now more golden pearls so I've on hand plenty but it's just a question of how much lol and opinions on moving the guy to be with my other babies being too stressful? CPD fry are in a very well established tank and I left my last spawn for 6 days no feeding at all around 3 weeks old and they did well finding their own food but I've no such faith in a tank originally setup for qt. I feel I needto decide how to supplement or have advice on moving the lil peep(s) to a better tank to grow up. I just don't wanna kill him like I think I did his siblings.
    Last edited by sfsamm; 09-24-2018 at 06:51 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - ApistoJoe   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    I have 2 Spec V's right near my kitchen sink, too - so easy. But I still siphon into a bucket I place in the sink because I have RCS in these tanks. I can't count the number of shrimp I've had to net out of the bucket. And the fish in these tanks are pretty small although I haven't sucked one of them up yet.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    So true! All my shrimp tanks go into a pitcher and are checked gallon by gallon and then again before emptying my bucket. Countless shrimp lives have been saved this way! Plus it makes it easier to get my plant water poured into gallon jugs when I start with pitchers... I've dumped gallon jugs more than once after spotting a shrimp.

My community tanks or those in which I wish they'd stop breeding (my son's live bearer tank lol) all get they python into a bucket the yard. I've had a zebra danio take a spin on the python roller coaster before. She zipped intentionally straight up the python and down the tube before I had a chance to curse let alone shut off the flow lol.

Cories are much larger than the little syphon I use on their tank to try and keep less sand from leaving, but obviously I'll be trying something new at least while I try to make Cory babies so I don't make the same mistake twice.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   Hope you had a wonderful day. - Taurus   HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by sfsamm View Post
    I just don't want to completely go overkill trying to get him food with the adults all swarming around.
    Have you considered putting in an IAL? Even without a regular tank light, the leaf should still support some infusoria, which might be just the ticket.
    Learn from yesterday
    Live for today
    Hope for tomorrow