· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Cory eggs!!!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on the Platy fry - Silbar   Congrats on the shrimp! - Silbar   I loved the vid - Silbar   sfsamm - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by angelcraze2 View Post
    I think I can see the little yolk part. Baby cories!!!!!
    I don't know what I'm looking for but they all looked the same this time where as before they always had two different looks... Not sure if they're all viable or all not viable but I'm hopeful! :)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    Good luck with this batch...what's the temp of the tank they keep spawning in?

Remind me of which corys?
    They are at 78°f, which I have seen a few places say it might be a bit warm for them but I keep anything growing out on the warm side of their tolerances... Apparently it's a perfect breeding temp for them too lol.
    They are Albinos some are longfin and I assume Corydoras Aeneus (Bronze Cory) as that seems to be the most readily available Albino Cory's commercially.
    Quote Originally Posted by angelcraze2 View Post
    My friend had 6 orange laser cories that were spawning like that. You must have 3 or more females. How many do you have all together?
    I have 5 total, I was planning to pick up more eventually but figure if I can make them for free why not. Plus I have gotten such a kick out of them both my sisters are interested in picking up extras lol.
    I haven't a clue how to sex them, this summer has been crazy busy and wasn't exactly the best timing for me to pick them up so I've still not done the kind of research I like to do before getting something new.

So today I can count 38 eggs, but I'm also fairly certain that some now look very different... Looks like a few might have went fungal and some don't have spots in them they look empty. I went ahead and added meth blue at half dose to the tank to hopefully save any others from getting fungal. It's my last night working before days off so I'm hoping anything that's going to hatch does so while I'm off. I have decided to leave them in the box until they are free swimming and hopefully find a breeder net I can place in my cull tank to keep them safe from the two remaining amanos in my RCS cull tank that I've been using to spawn and raise CPDs.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    38 eggs? Congrats!!!!

If you see a fungused egg, remove or separate it from the rest, because I've had unfertilized eggs fungus up and move over to the viable eggs. If the viable eggs have progressed enough, they hatch anyway, but I've seen it destroy viable eggs.

Also, you probably already know, just making sure, MB will kill your cycle. If it's a separate tank, no worries.

Good luck, I hope you get a huge batch of cory babies. They don't take long to hatch, should be soon!
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on the Platy fry - Silbar   Congrats on the shrimp! - Silbar   I loved the vid - Silbar   sfsamm - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Yes I know MB nukes my cycle, I wasn't thinking of that at the time but remembered later at work last night. It's been a long time since I used it and I was thinking about the fungus lol. I have a couple hobs on my 55 I'm just going to pull one of those tonight add it to this tank and get a 5g ready to hatch the next round. Almost all the eggs fungused overnight, so a half dose wasn't enough. This morning I added the other half of the MB to hopefully save those that haven't.
    I probably should have used MB right off but the breeder box has some flow and I thought it would be enough to prevent fungus. Trial and error lol. At least I can fairly count on another spawn in a few days or a week. Now that I put the effort in on this batch I'm a bit more motivated to get it right.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    For some reason, my cory eggs didn't fungus. I had the eggs at the bottom of a 5g tank with a sponge filter. I had a bunch of neocaridina shrimp and baby ramshorn snails. They must have kept the eggs clean!

But I had to use MB for ram eggs. I put the rock they were laid on in a container with a heater, soft airstone bubbling over the rock. I left them in the container until all were free-swimming, then caught all the babies in a net while pouring the MB/tank acclimated water into a bucket. I quickly transfered the net with babies to the nursery tank.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    So every egg fungused by day three. I waited 24 hours for the last just in case but then pitched everything. Today doing a WC there were a few on the back glass so I pulled them and simply dropped them into the cull tank. I have little PVC mesh tube things from a different project that I've discovered amanos don't seem to like (I stood them upright in the sand, RCS go down in amanos don't) so I did my best to get the 10 eggs into one of those, 8 made it. I think I still have an assassin snail or two in there I remembered tonight... We will see what happens. I had filled the backup 5g and it was seeping at the bottom so it was a no go. I think if they disappear I'll try sticking them to the floaters in the cull tank next time. Assassin snails don't go into the floaters at all they're too heavy :) but my cannibal amanos do... We shall see. The clutch was only 10 eggs... Maybe I'll get my act together by the time the big lady drops eggs again and I get another 40ish.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    The assassin snails can't get into the mesh tube, correct?...they love fish eggs
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    The assassin snails can't get into the mesh tube, correct?...they love fish eggs
    I'm sure they probably can if there are any assassins left in there there, which is likely. We shall see if they made it through the night and if I can come up with something... Or maybe I'll see assassins in the act and can remove them lol...

Parents did lay another handful I spied behind their sponge filter in their tank also maybe 8ish I saw... Left those maybe they won't get eaten as they are fairly tucked away. And the big lady was looking large... Maybe she will lay them before 4pm today and I'll have more time to get things set up better lol

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Wow, they're getting after it, lol

It would be really neat to have some hatch out
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   Hope you had a wonderful day. - Taurus   HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

1 Not allowed!
    So agree! ^ It would be awesome to get some of your Cory eggs to hatch, yes!

Those assassins are incredible hiders, aren't they? You've got a handful of different ideas to save some eggs from the diners. I'm looking forward to watching as I'm sure you will come up with a plan that works.
    Learn from yesterday
    Live for today
    Hope for tomorrow

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    You'll get this, I know you will! Did you try a full dose of MB in a catching container with an airstone? None of my ram eggs fungused with the MB. Keeping the tiny things alive was another story! But I think you'd have a 100% hatching rate. I waited until all of them hatched before I moved them to the nursery tank. For the first few hours, there hatchlings are not eating and still feeding off the egg.
    -Kat