· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome back! - Slaphppy7   Celebrating your amazing restoration work! - showmebutterfly   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Lol I tried to edit my post, but it was too late....

My biggest concern is if the plants need more nutrients**

Co2 not cow haha

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    I grow the dwarf sag and stargass well in non-co2 deep 24"+ in med light tanks. Staurogyne as well but growth is much slower.

Stargrass eats up nitates. I never had a problem growing it even in low light, but some of fish started eating it!
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome back! - Slaphppy7   Celebrating your amazing restoration work! - showmebutterfly   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    I ended up buying some stargrass. It should be in sometime this week! I could use some suggestions on my aquascape. I kind of threw the plants in the tank, but it's hard to vision where to place things when the plants are all tiny. Here's a picture of my current setup, I'd love to hear some ideas! I put some Java Fern and moss on the big piece of driftwood. I had some extra so I put it on the smaller one. I could bunch it with the others if it's too much of the same. The middle of the tank does seem to be lacking though.

Edit: I thought I had a more recent photo of the tank but I'll have to wait till I get home.
    Last edited by Nautilus291; 07-29-2018 at 06:24 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Here are some pictures from today.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    What do you guys think about his\her stomach? I noticed it is a little sunken. Seems to eat well so I don't think it's from being hungry. I read online that bacteria or a parasite can cause the stomach to be sunken.

I'm so worried we are going to lose this fish. We haven't had him very long and he already feels like he's part of the family! Today my wife told me that when my one year old daughter put her hand on the glass he came swimming right up to it. He has such a great personality, always swimming next to us when we walk by. My wife wants more cichlids now that she has seen how he is lol.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    I've never kept the EB acara, but I have seen sunken stomachs from intestinal parasites, and IMO, his stomach does not look like that. My EB ram looked much worse, but keep a close eye. He doesn't look fat and depending on how much food he's eating, he maybe should be fatter.

It might not be a bad idea to order some Levamisole (from US) and treat for nematodes if you haven't dewormed him already. It took about two weeks to receive it, but I still have some powder leftover. I will be deworming all my fish in QT from now on. The rest of the diseases and parasites can be noticed in QT, but callamanus evaded 3+ month QT periods and lived in my fish for years before I knew they were there.

If you want instructions and info to dose Levamisole, here's a good link
    https://www.loaches.com/Members/shar...ydrochloride-1
    Only 2ppm of Levamisole is effective.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by angelcraze2 View Post
    I've never kept the EB acara, but I have seen sunken stomachs from intestinal parasites, and IMO, his stomach does not look like that. My EB ram looked much worse, but keep a close eye. He doesn't look fat and depending on how much food he's eating, he maybe should be fatter.

It might not be a bad idea to order some Levamisole (from US) and treat for nematodes if you haven't dewormed him already. It took about two weeks to receive it, but I still have some powder leftover. I will be deworming all my fish in QT from now on. The rest of the diseases and parasites can be noticed in QT, but callamanus evaded 3+ month QT periods and lived in my fish for years before I knew they were there.

If you want instructions and info to dose Levamisole, here's a good link
    https://www.loaches.com/Members/shar...ydrochloride-1
    Only 2ppm of Levamisole is effective.
    Thanks for the information and some reassurance. That article you posted was really interesting. I found a couple of 10oz powder packets on Amazon, and it looks like I can use Amazon
    prime to get it here fast. It amazes me that you were so diligent, but something still got through! I figured since this was the first time I grabbed fish for this tank I wouldn't set up a qt tank, but now I'm regretting that because 75g of water is a lot to dose meds in. Maybe I'll look on FB market place for a cheap tank to use for qt... I'll just have to make sure I don't start getting tank ideas for it lol

On another note the stargrass came in last night. I cleaned it off and put it in the tank during a water change. It came in at around 4 inch long stems. I just planted them, but if I want to use this as a forground\ carpet like plant should I trim them down? Or is that something I should do after they are established?

I changed the layout some. I like it a little better but I could use some suggestions on making it better. Should I add rocks, or change where I have the wood?

Here is a pic, the stargrass makes it hard to see the one piece of driftwood on the left that I have.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I just treated my whole 120g, but then again, I had more fish to treat. If you do treat him somewhere else, it's a good idea to leave the tank barren for at least a month or two or make sure their are no eggs or larvae left alive. If there is a parasite, you wouldn't want them to reinfect him once he returns to the main tank. You would only need 1/4 tsp (75% full) of Levamisole HCI powder for one dose in the 75g. One dose stays in the water for 24hrs, then a good gravel siphon and water change It's recommended to dose again in 2 weeks, and again in 2 weeks after that a third time to get any stragglers.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by angelcraze2 View Post
    I just treated my whole 120g, but then again, I had more fish to treat. If you do treat him somewhere else, it's a good idea to leave the tank barren for at least a month or two or make sure their are no eggs or larvae left alive. If there is a parasite, you wouldn't want them to reinfect him once he returns to the main tank. You would only need 1/4 tsp (75% full) of Levamisole HCI powder for one dose in the 75g. One dose stays in the water for 24hrs, then a good gravel siphon and water change It's recommended to dose again in 2 weeks, and again in 2 weeks after that a third time to get any stragglers.
    Ahh, I totally read that wrong... I thought it was saying do the dose and then water change for 2 to 3 weeks continuously.

Do you have a suggestion for the stargrass? I wasn't sure if I should keep it high like it is in that picture until it takes off, or trim the tops off and plant them closer to the ground right away.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    Sorry, I was going to get to that. I found my stargrass crawls along the substate and grows new upward shoots. If your lighting is bright enough it will. But I also have it in lower lighting too and I just plant it all close together in bunches, or the whole foreground. A pic of my 120g stargrass foreground from 2016
    20180804_133629.jpg
    I kind of break off the tops where I want them for height. I never had to worry about the snipped stem not growing a new crown. In lower light, the crowns won't be as large and leaves finer.

I might trim/replant some of the tallest stargrass stems in the front of the DW, and let them grow taller behind. Eventually you could create a bush as you keep trimming, because it would grow new crowns where you trim it. I also like to plant shorter stem plants (the trimmed part grown closest to light) in front of taller pieces where the bases might look shaggy. But definitely shorter in the front. Where they split into two stems, that's only in the back. I also rip off the first few leaves at the base when I plant it to encourage it to root.

If it has enough light, you would need to take the roots away for it not to regrow. So it grows from a short piece.

It's an awesome plant, so easy versatile.
    -Kat

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast