· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - ApistoJoe   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    With angels (one of my favs) you could actually still add some rummy nose tetras - it's a common combination.

I had a single angel in a much smaller tank than yours with a school of rummys and some sterbai cories and it was a great tank for many years. At only 25g, this was one of my first tanks larger than 5g. All are gone now except for 2 cories and 1 BNP. I would duplicate it in a heartbeat, except I'm at a point where I need to downsize a tank or two.

Here's a couple of pics. One is from about 7 yrs ago when I actually had 2 angels and even got to raise some fry. Unfortunately, the male did a number on the female and she died early on. The other shows how small my male was when I first got him, compared to where he ended up. In the first pic you can get a glimpse of the rummys along the bottom directly under the angels and the cories to the right, also on the bottom.

For a more beautiful angel tank, look at the journal for angelcraze2's 120g
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by SueD; 03-02-2019 at 02:01 PM.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    This is nautilus291 if you are wondering why I'm posting on here haha.

I've been asking people on tpt about my plant die off issues. Someone suggested changing my lighting schedule from two broken up periods to one 6 hour period. Someone else though that I should be dosing fertilizer. I'm going to try these two things for a little while and see what happens.

I do feel they may be on to something with the fertilizer. With all of the plant die offs there has been quite a bit of debree in my tank, so I've been worried about nitrate buildup. I've been deep cleaning my tank quite a bit, but when I check my nitrates before my 8 day water change they are maybe 5ppm. Maybe I'm cleaning a little too much, and the plants aren't getting enough nutrients.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    I also bit the bullet and ordered some fertilizers. I ordered Easy Life Profito
    https://www.easylife.eu/products/fre...t-food/profito

I realized my stem plants were struggling. Especially in my non-dirted tanks. I didn't want to spend the extra money, but I plan to use it on my 120g to see what a difference it makes.

That all said, my rooting plants are doing great with soil and the odd root tab. It's the plants that feed heavily from the water column that benefit the most imo. I was using floating plants to use up water nutrients, but stem plants make the tank look so much more complete.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Because I back our Blue...thanks for your service - Silbar   Welcome back! - Slaphppy7   Have another angel fish... - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   No Message - Law Dog   

0 Not allowed!
    I never had much luck with just lighting for plants except for Vals and Crypts. When I began using root tabs my Amazon Swords took off. I then tried staurogyne repens as well as Java's and they started to grow (albeit slowly), they still didn't do as well as I expected so I began dosing liquid ferts. Now I'm injecting co2 so we'll see if it helps. Hopefully I'll see big improvements by this time next week.
    Last edited by Law Dog; 03-13-2019 at 11:58 PM.
    * 100gal show
    - planted w/ Crypts, Vals, Java Fern, Staurogyne repens and Amazon Swords
    - Neons, 4 Angelfish, Sunset Honey Gourami, BN Pleco, Spotted Sailfin
    Pleco, Odessa Barbs, Corydoras schwartzi, Serpae Tetras, Silver tip tetras
    * Fluval Spec V
    - Dwarf Gourami, , 1 Kuhli loach, 2 Black Phantom Tetras
    - planted w/ Crypts

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by angelcraze2 View Post
    I also bit the bullet and ordered some fertilizers. I ordered Easy Life Profito
    https://www.easylife.eu/products/fre...t-food/profito

I realized my stem plants were struggling. Especially in my non-dirted tanks. I didn't want to spend the extra money, but I plan to use it on my 120g to see what a difference it makes.

That all said, my rooting plants are doing great with soil and the odd root tab. It's the plants that feed heavily from the water column that benefit the most imo. I was using floating plants to use up water nutrients, but stem plants make the tank look so much more complete.
    It's still way too soon for me to tell if this is going to make a difference, but I should have looked into this sooner! After looking more into nutrient deficiencies a lot of my plants are showing signs of it. Old leaves dieing on some plants, old leaves with pin holes, new leaves look light. And when I say old It doesn't take long for it to happen.

I though my plants just needed to recover after the severum ripped them up, but now I think I let the tank creep into other issues. If this works I think I caught it before I lost a lot of my plants at least.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    The only deficiencies I see is slow growth and stunting on the stems. I think that is a shortage of co2 though which I'm not doing atm. I see holes and thin old Amazon sword leaves, but I think it's my pleco rasping the diatoms too hard and I just pinch them off. I don't see any other deficiencies on swords and vals, although they definitely need good root nutrients.

I just received the ferts yesterday actually and did my first dose in the 120g. Here's hoping!
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 03-15-2019 at 05:26 PM.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Hey all! Long time no see. It's been a busy summer for me, and it's only going to get crazier!

To give you a little update, I finished fixing up my house by the end of spring and put it on the market. It sold in 5 days! We found a house in the country that sits on 2.3 acres and has(well water :D, with an RO unit!). We will be moving there towards the end of July. My wife is due with our second child at the end of August, so I'm hoping we will be settled in before then!

As for the fish tank: I'm not having much luck with plants still. I'm considering lowering my lighting and sticking with low light plants for now. My Java moss and anubias plants are doing pretty good, so I may just stick with what's working. I figured lowering the light will help the anubias leaves. My wife convinced me to get a second eb acara awhile back. We put HER in the tank a couple of weeks ago,and found out our first eb acara was a male lol! There are about 30 fry left in the tank right now, but I'm just letting things play out since we are getting ready to move. Maybe in the future I can setup a fry tank :)

Anyways it will still probably be a little bit before I'm on here regularly again, but I missed you guys, and I figured I'd let you know I'm still around.
    This is Nautilus291

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I noticed someone around me wanted to trade their 125g tank for a 75g. I'm in the middle of a move, and figured it was the perfect time to make an upgrade, so I contacted them, and we are going to make the trade! I'll need to get a temporary tank (tote) to house the fish and plants in for a little while to give myself time to get the new tank setup, but I'll have a 125g soon! I'm debating putting a more plant friendly substrate into this tank. I may have to wait a little longer to add the fish in the tank, but I feel like I'll enjoy it in the long run.

Eventually we are going to have an animal room, where I'll build a nice setup where I can have the fish tank and my wife can have reptiles, but for now I'm going to build a quick stand for the tank. We were gifted hermit crabs awhile back and it's time to upgrade their tank, so I think I'll make the stand so that I can keep their tank under the 125g tank. I'm not sure I would have gotten hermits otherwise since they are wild caught, but they are kind of fun to watch once you setup their enclosure correctly. They love to explore, and climb on everything.

We've been stripping wallpaper and painting. So much to do to the house before I start moving stuff in. We have till August 11th to get out of our old house, so i have some time at least.
    This is Nautilus291

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - ApistoJoe   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    That's a big plus being able to work on the new house before you move in. Makes things so much easier.

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415