· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome back! - Slaphppy7   Celebrating your amazing restoration work! - showmebutterfly   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the suggestion, you guys definitely gave me some great options! I figured I'd go with one school of fish in this tank to help keep maintenance down, and to keep the business down in the tank. My past tanks tended to have a variety of fish in them, so I'm trying to go a different route with this one although it's hard!

I'm definitely leaning towards the Odessa Barb's or rumy nose tetras. I think both look pretty amazing! I know there aren't too many apisto owners on here, but my only concern with the Barb's is they have a similar body shape to my apistos, and I am wondering what the apistos will think of them? I'll try to find some more information online about that.

I saw some weather loaches in the lfs the other day, and it's why I brought the loaches up in my original post. They do so many funny things I love watching them. I think I'd rather go with the mid to upper schooling fish though.
    "They had learned to speak, and so had won their first great victory over Time. Now the knowledge of one generation could be handed on to the next, so that each age could profit from those that had gone before." 2001: A Space Odyssey
    Arthur C. Clark

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome back! - Slaphppy7   Celebrating your amazing restoration work! - showmebutterfly   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    Well I may be going in a different direction then I had planned. I'm not sure what direction that is yet, but I was talking to my wife about the schooling fish idea and she doesn't like it. She said that right now we have peaceful (slower moving) fish as the focus of the tank, and she feels the school will take away from that. I enjoy that she is taking interest in my hobby, and I do feel she has a point, so I'm going to scratch the tetra or Barb plan.

Idk what I want to do now, but I noticed I can order a female hongsloi apisto from my lfs so I may go ahead and do that. I was reading that it can be better to have more females then males so the males aren't just picking on one female. As for any other fish, I'm back to square one lol.
    "They had learned to speak, and so had won their first great victory over Time. Now the knowledge of one generation could be handed on to the next, so that each age could profit from those that had gone before." 2001: A Space Odyssey
    Arthur C. Clark

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    So will you be swapping a male or getting more females? I agree, two males and one female might not be a good idea. Usually two females to one male for apisto. I keep 3 female GBRs to one male now.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by angelcraze2 View Post
    So will you be swapping a male or getting more females? I agree, two males and one female might not be a good idea. Usually two females to one male for apisto. I keep 3 female GBRs to one male now.
    Amazon Joe thinks my other apisto is a female. So if I ordered one or two more that would leave me with one male and 2 to 3 females if he is correct. I don't think I'd try to raise any fry, but I feel like it would help the female that's in the tank at the moment.

She gets a lot of pressure from him. She seems ok as she has "her side of the tank" but I think it would do her good if he had some more girls to show off to haha. It is really interesting behavior!
    Arthur C. Clark

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Also I have some stargrass back in the tank! We will see how it goes... The plants in this tank seem to be taking a hit for some reason. Some of them are doing pretty good, but others seem like they are going to fade away. I'm trying my best not to touch them and see if they will perk back up with time.

I pulled all of the bacopa out of the tank as I've had it in my tank maybe 3 to 4 months now and none of them have grown any new leaves. Once pulled I noticed some of them had maybe 3 to 6mm roots on them. Doesn't seem like much after that long. The water wisteria definitely grows, but it seems pretty slow. At least from what I read about this plant online.
    Arthur C. Clark

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - ApistoJoe   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    I don't know anything about the acara, but what about 2-3 angelfish. Might they be compatible? They occupy the top half of the tank, are beautiful and personable, and move much more slowly than a tetra school would. And once they get to decent size they'll make a nice statement in that tank.

Gods Country, Eastern High Sierras, California

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

To new fish! - Slaphppy7   Second round ;) - Slaphppy7   It's a hot toddy. - Taurus   Here's to the "blue ribbon" tetra! - Slaphppy7   Hope you had a happy birthday! We are both March babies :) - discusluv   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   

3 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nautilus291 View Post
    Well I may be going in a different direction then I had planned. I'm not sure what direction that is yet, but I was talking to my wife about the schooling fish idea and she doesn't like it. She said that right now we have peaceful (slower moving) fish as the focus of the tank, and she feels the school will take away from that. I enjoy that she is taking interest in my hobby, and I do feel she has a point, so I'm going to scratch the tetra or Barb plan.

Idk what I want to do now, but I noticed I can order a female hongsloi apisto from my lfs so I may go ahead and do that. I was reading that it can be better to have more females then males so the males aren't just picking on one female. As for any other fish, I'm back to square one lol.
    One last pitch for the Rummy nose; they and most tetra's are more tranquil schoolers/swimmers than barbs and danios which are almost manic and for that matter many rasbora's.

Here's a video to show her and MAYBE change her mind ;-)

Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.” ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

2 Not allowed!
    ^^^ This, yes please

And-3 more female apistos

I've no experience with acara, but maybe a few gouramis would be OK.............?
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Nice! Love stargrass too! Such a great easy to grow fast growing versatile plant! If your fish don't pull it out and eat the leaves lol! Still a staple in my other tanks and for setting up a new one for fast growth. Dwarf sag just isn't the same.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by steeler58 View Post
    One last pitch for the Rummy nose; they and most tetra's are more tranquil schoolers/swimmers than barbs and danios which are almost manic and for that matter many rasbora's.

Here's a video to show her and MAYBE change her mind ;-)

I'll show her ;)

@SueD I've heard eb acaras are a hybrid of German blue Rams and the blue acara. Even though mine is 4 inches long I think she thinks she is a 1.5 inch ram. Very peaceful, she's never showed any aggression towards the tiny apistos. That may be a good idea! I was considering angels when I first set up this tank, maybe I could still end up with some.

@Slaphppy7 gouramis would also be a good choice I feel! I'll have to do some looking around and see if anything pops out at me.
    Arthur C. Clark

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast