· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome back! - Slaphppy7   Celebrating your amazing restoration work! - showmebutterfly   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by angelcraze2 View Post
    Pleco looks fine to me. Honestly, mine aren't as fat as others I see either, but who knows, maybe the others are actually fat and ours are a healthy weight. Stop worrying haha! If he was ill, he'd be clamping his fins with a concave belly.

Congrats with the vesuvius sword! I tried them at one time, I actually ordered them into my LFS to try, they were ok for a while and sent out runners, but eventually disappeared. Could be because I was kinda new back then. I was surprised how short they were. That reminds me, I'd love to try some again in the SA tank! It could use a bit of leaf texture.
    I sent that pleco pic a couple of weeks ago when I was worried about his poop. He's getting a lot of food now. The severum would eat up all of the scraps in the tank before. Not that she is rehomed the pleco comes out during feeding time and actually gets to eat. Plus the veggies I've been feeding at night.

I hope my sword doesn't suffer the same fate! I've noticed my Mayaca vandelli has really stunted. I remember you talking about how you had a hard time with it. Right now I can't tell if something is wrong, or if it just needs time to re-establish itself after the severum did her thing lol. I've almost considered taking the bacopa out of the tank also because I haven't seen any new growth on that in awhile. It was constantly getting pulled up too. I cut the damaged leaves off of the anubias, and it grew 2 leaves in the last week and a half, so I'd say that has recovered fine.

I found someone selling a 10 lb co2 system for $100. I'm seriously considering it. I'm not sure if I'd put it on the tank or not. I've been toying around with the idea for awhile now and I could play around with it on that 10g tank to get use to it before deciding if I want to use it on the 75g. I looked it up and it would cost around $250 to buy the system new.
    "They had learned to speak, and so had won their first great victory over Time. Now the knowledge of one generation could be handed on to the next, so that each age could profit from those that had gone before." 2001: A Space Odyssey
    Arthur C. Clark

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah my rotala is really stunted in my 120g as well. Because i'm so stingy on ferts, actually I haven't started fishing the water column at all, i'm just rolling with the stunted growth. I really think it's a deficiency of some sort. Maybe it's co2! I've considered it mildly as well for that tank. But since one never used it, I have no comments. I bought the main part already, forget what it's called, but I just need a few attachments and the actually co2 cylinder thing. Lol, told ya I don't know much about it!

Honestly, my vesuvius swords probably withered because of something weird I did when I first started with plants, yours looks really nice, and I want to try it again. I would give the bacopa and Mayaca some time to recoup after being continuously ripped out. If they still don't grow after a while, try them in other tank maybe (after you know the tank is safe) I have the same issue in my 120g with plants being ripped out. Stems that stay in place like hygro angustifolia is the only type I can grow in that tank atm.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome back! - Slaphppy7   Celebrating your amazing restoration work! - showmebutterfly   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    Well I've had the apistos in my tank for a little over a week now. Sadly I definitely have two males, and even in the 75g the dominant one tries to mate with the smaller one since it keeps in female colors most of the time. I added extra hiding spots in the tank, and I'm hoping once my plants grow in more they won't have as much of a view of each other. Either way it's going good and there is no real aggression between them or my acara. These guys are so interesting to watch, they swim in all kinds of odd directions, and sometimes when they are hanging out in the plants they'll keep their body upright for awhile. Such amazing fish in such a small package!

I finally snapped a shot of one of them while he was eating,. I'll see if I can get them both together sometime soon!

I think I'm going to buy some more stargrass. It looked and grew so good in this tank. My dwarf tears are pretty much all gone, and the dwarf swords seem like they are slowly going to wither away also. I'm in desperate need of a foreground plant anyways, and I thought the stargrass looked amazing.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "They had learned to speak, and so had won their first great victory over Time. Now the knowledge of one generation could be handed on to the next, so that each age could profit from those that had gone before." 2001: A Space Odyssey
    Arthur C. Clark

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    Theses aren't very good ones, but I got some with them both together. I also got a video of the weird (I'm guessing mating) behavior the dominant one exibits. You can see the coloration is completely different as the non dominant male is stressed\ I think keeping more of the female coloration.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Arthur C. Clark

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Because I back our Blue...thanks for your service - Silbar   Welcome back! - Slaphppy7   Have another angel fish... - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   No Message - Law Dog   

1 Not allowed!
    Tank looks awesome! I wish I could find time at home to upload the new pics (now 2 weeks old) that I took of my tank and plants.
    * 100gal show
    - planted w/ Crypts, Vals, Java Fern, Staurogyne repens and Amazon Swords
    - Neons, 4 Angelfish, Sunset Honey Gourami, BN Pleco, Spotted Sailfin
    Pleco, Odessa Barbs, Corydoras schwartzi, Serpae Tetras, Silver tip tetras
    * Fluval Spec V
    - Dwarf Gourami, , 1 Kuhli loach, 2 Black Phantom Tetras
    - planted w/ Crypts

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    Do what I did and make a video of them instead...
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    @steeler58 and @Slaphppy7 , and anyone else who may have a good idea, I could use some stocking suggestions! I want to finish stocking my 75g tank and I'd really like a schooling fish.

First of all I have a bn pleco, a 4 inch eb acara, and two appistos in the tank right now.

I'm considering either a tetra, barb type of fish, loaches, or corys. My only issue with the loaches and Cory's is all of my fish in the tank hang out in the mid to low area of the tank and if I add either of these then there will be even more activity in the same areas of the tank.

You guys seem to be pretty knowledgeable when it comes to schooling fish so I figured I'd see what you have to say!
    Arthur C. Clark

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    Heck, with a tank that size, you could add all 4 of those types of fish, lol

You know me, tetras are always my first choice
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - ApistoJoe   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    I'd look at some of the barbs. Gold, snakeskin, pentazona, or my favorite, Odessa. Tetras are great, too, and just so many to choose from. I haven't had barbs, only tetras, but wish I had room for some. You would also have room for a school of cories - your choice, as these also have so many to choose from.

Gods Country, Eastern High Sierras, California

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

To new fish! - Slaphppy7   Second round ;) - Slaphppy7   It's a hot toddy. - Taurus   Here's to the "blue ribbon" tetra! - Slaphppy7   Hope you had a happy birthday! We are both March babies :) - discusluv   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nautilus291 View Post
    @steeler58 and @Slaphppy7 , and anyone else who may have a good idea, I could use some stocking suggestions! I want to finish stocking my 75g tank and I'd really like a schooling fish.

First of all I have a bn pleco, a 4 inch eb acara, and two appistos in the tank right now.

I'm considering either a tetra, barb type of fish, loaches, or corys. My only issue with the loaches and Cory's is all of my fish in the tank hang out in the mid to low area of the tank and if I add either of these then there will be even more activity in the same areas of the tank.

You guys seem to be pretty knowledgeable when it comes to schooling fish so I figured I'd see what you have to say!
    As long as you can find mid sized tetras that your acara can't swallow you will be okay with several choices, Full grown Rummy nose would be my first recommendation, they are IMO the best tetra for schooling/shoaling. Some people find Lemon tetra a little drab, but when in good condition, they are a nice contrast fish and their shape make them hard to swallow, also a nice schooling fish. Black phantom's and Rosy tetras also have a shape that make them more compatible with bigger fish that might swallow other more slender shaped fish, both shoal a little looser though. Head and tail lights fall somewhere in between as shoaling fish and would hang out in the upper region of your tank whereas the other species I mentioned would stay in the mid to upper third of your tank.

Sue gave you some great recommendations as far as barbs go, especially the Odessa barb, to which I will add the Melon barb or Haludaria fasciata.

I really nice fish that stays in the top region of your tank that I have to mention; would be the Harlequin rasbora, a fish everybody should stock at least once.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.” ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast