· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome back! - Slaphppy7   Celebrating your amazing restoration work! - showmebutterfly   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by angelcraze2 View Post
    I'm sorry to see her go too, but I feel satisfaction knowing she is going to good home. I can't believe she's is eating anubias leaves, they supposedly don't taste good. She must be playing with the plants, you are right. I swear my pair of angels were just ripping all the stargrass out and leaving it. They wanted it floating because I ended up tying it at the surface instead she'd they leave it. Crazy fish.

I know BNs live for a long time, but maybe she was older? I would have thought BNs would be ok with a severum. They are fine with angelfish....
    Again, i'm sorry :(
    How big do your females get? She was maybe a little over 3 inches, so that makes me think she was still younger. The severum never messed with them, but I though maybe having a bigger fish swimming around was stressing her. That's just a guess though, I'm not really sure at this point. It's hard to tell by looking at their bodies if a pleco is ill.
    "They had learned to speak, and so had won their first great victory over Time. Now the knowledge of one generation could be handed on to the next, so that each age could profit from those that had gone before." 2001: A Space Odyssey
    Arthur C. Clark

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Agree, it's hard to tell. I have one female that is larger than the male lol, probably 4.5 inches, but my other adult females are only about 3.5 inches. That is a guesstimate, I didn't hold a ruler up or anything ;) Who really knows? I'm just sorry she didn't make it and would normally think they'd be ok with somewhat larger fish, but you never know! My male BN protects the babies and swipes his side spikes at my angels. Both my males do for food as well. Actually the female does too with food. They don't seem scared at all
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nautilus291 View Post
    I have some pretty sad news on this tank.

I lost my female pleco a couple of days ago. I have been wondering about her, because she would never come out of hiding, but since plecos tend to eat at night anyways I didn't think much about it. The male always comes out and eats during the day though. I haven't seen any signs of illness in her or my other fish, so I'm guessing that she was too stressed from having the big fish in the tank to come out. I'll be keeping a close eye on the tank though to see if something else shows up.

I have also decided to re-home the Severum. After this death I'm going to wait to make sure that nothing is wrong in the tank, but I found a really nice home for her. I'm pretty bummed about letting her go, but she will be going to a 125g mature tank that is pretty lightly stocked. At least she will be going to a bigger tank, and it's been set up for over 3 years now so that is really nice to know!

If you guys have any thoughts or suggestions about the plecos I'd love to hear them. I know BN plecos are supposed to be pretty Hardy, so it really shocked me when I found her. I checked my parameters after I found her and they were all good. 0,0 and 5.
    Oh I am sorry about your loss. She may have been intimidated or maybe she had some parasites? Not sure how long you have had them. Plecos will have sunken bellies and sunken eyes when they are malnourished. Sometimes you can't save them at that point-kinda like ottos.
    75 Gourami/Eel tank
    Fish room-Astt tanks;all sizes

75 Gourami Tank

Fish Room

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome back! - Slaphppy7   Celebrating your amazing restoration work! - showmebutterfly   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boundava View Post
    Oh I am sorry about your loss. She may have been intimidated or maybe she had some parasites? Not sure how long you have had them. Plecos will have sunken bellies and sunken eyes when they are malnourished. Sometimes you can't save them at that point-kinda like ottos.
    I've had them for close to 4 months now. I'm keeping a close eye on my other fish to see if they are showing any signs. So far the other fish look good to me, but I'm not sure I could tell the difference between a sick pleco and healthy rn. Idid treat the QT tank for parasites before adding them to the main tank, but 4 months isn't enough time to know for sure I'm out of the clear. I've also added plants to the tank since then, so maybe something hitched a ride on them.
    "They had learned to speak, and so had won their first great victory over Time. Now the knowledge of one generation could be handed on to the next, so that each age could profit from those that had gone before." 2001: A Space Odyssey
    Arthur C. Clark

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    I ended up taking the severum to her new home this weekend. I got to see the tank she will eventually be going in, and it's really nice looking! 125g with a beautiful green severum in it.

I told the lady about my female plecos death, and she still wanted to take the severum as she was going to QT her anyways. She said she will keep me updated, and sent me some pictures of her when she's in the new tank.

The new lfs I found a couple of weeks ago was actually on the way, so on my way home I stopped by. I couldn't resist buying some new plants. I'll probably regret some of them (micro swords), but figured I'd try them anyways. I'd like to get some more stargrass, but I'll probably have to get that online.

Here is a list of the new plants. (They are in a bucket rn as i found out my h202 was expired).

Micro swords
    Lugwigia repens
    vesuvius sword
    And I think water lettuce (does it have a fuzzy top to it?)

I'm in love with the Vesuvius sword! I'm hoping to find a way to keep the water lettuce over my buce to keep it in milder lighting. Going to try an air hose, but do you guys have any other methods?
    Arthur C. Clark

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    The male pleco was up at the front of the glass for some food tonight so I snapped some shots. He seems to act normal to me, at least for a pleco, but I thought maybe you guys would be able to tell better if he looks ill at all.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Arthur C. Clark

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    I'm pretty excited about how this vesuvius sword is doing in my tank! I've had in in the tank a week and a half and it had already sent out a side shoot which has 3 plantlets growing off of it. I'm sure it's hard to tell in the picture but I tried to get a shot if it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Arthur C. Clark

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Belated Birthday! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    Pleco looks good to me, those are some awesome shots
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   

0 Not allowed!
    That is a gorgeous sword, I would love to get one in the future.
    75 Gourami/Eel tank
    Fish room-Astt tanks;all sizes

75 Gourami Tank

Fish Room

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Pleco looks fine to me. Honestly, mine aren't as fat as others I see either, but who knows, maybe the others are actually fat and ours are a healthy weight. Stop worrying haha! If he was ill, he'd be clamping his fins with a concave belly.

Congrats with the vesuvius sword! I tried them at one time, I actually ordered them into my LFS to try, they were ok for a while and sent out runners, but eventually disappeared. Could be because I was kinda new back then. I was surprised how short they were. That reminds me, I'd love to try some again in the SA tank! It could use a bit of leaf texture.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast