· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

I hope you get help for your betta! - Slaphppy7   Here's a crayfish for you! - Slaphppy7   You need another fish. - Compass   No Message - Fishhook   thanks for the native fish research - Fishhook   

Default 10g swamp paludarium

4 Not allowed!
    So I finally setup my paludarium tank, I was visiting my grandparents in Florida and they have a fairly large cypress swamp on their land so i collected some different plants and some critters for the tank.

Fauna:
    8 cypress crawfish (Cambarellus blacki), ranging from half an inch to an inch and a half, no aggression between them yet.
    1 male Mosquito fish
    and 1 Dwarf Salamander who has been hiding since i put him in the tank so i dont have any pics of him yet.

Flora:
    4 differnt types of moss, I only found 1 fully submerged so i assume besides it, they're all terrestrial or only semi-aquatic
    1 fern i found near the waterline in the swamp
    some sort of grass that put off very long runners, looked like a bog plant when i found it so i have it planted just above the water line with the runners going into the water
    and lastly i have a little bit of salvania which was comepletly covering the swamp i got everything at.

As for how i setup the tank i took some Pumice rock my grandpa had, and i cut it to make the basic structure of the land portion. one of the hunks of rocks has moss growing on it so i am using it for the waterfall. after all the rocks and waterfall tubing were in place i filled in all the crack with sand and slowly added water and plants.

Snapchat-84060426.jpg

The pump i was gonna use for the waterfall is half the price on amazon as what it is at Lowes so itsa being shipped rn and should be here next week.

Snapchat-1196963755.jpg
    The wood in the back right of the tank i foudn the salamander under on the edge of the swamp.
    Snapchat-108258577.jpg
    Snapchat-684476413.jpg
    Snapchat-773721277.jpg
    Snapchat-2108209862.jpg
    Snapchat-1949954757.jpg
    Snapchat-956500301.jpg
    Snapchat-1404605882.jpg

I plan on going and getting more plants and critters from the swamp near my house, once all these get good and settled in.
    Last edited by aquariumlover10; 07-21-2018 at 06:44 PM.
    "I've always thought that if
    I learn from mistakes that I'd make
    Even the losses into victories"

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Welcome Back! - Boundava   Here is a coral to tide you over until you decide what to get for your 40 - bpete   Sorry for the ich, you'll defeat it. - mch1984   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   

2 Not allowed!
    That looks like a pretty cool setup.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

I hope you get help for your betta! - Slaphppy7   Here's a crayfish for you! - Slaphppy7   You need another fish. - Compass   No Message - Fishhook   thanks for the native fish research - Fishhook   

0 Not allowed!
    thanks, I'm just waiting for the plants to grow in and cover everything

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    Unique little set-up, I like it
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    I got the water pump in the mail today and got everything setup, Ill get some pictures when the water clears up alittle bit.
    I did find the salamander where I figured he was, behind the waterfall rock, but he swam and is hiding behind the wood sticking out of the water. I also put a Catappa leaf teabag on the watefall so hopefully the water will be brownish like the water in the swamp i got them from.

Here's some pics of 2 of the crayfish i took yesterday.
    Snapchat-315244507.jpg
    Snapchat-489857942.jpg
    Snapchat-1822519603.jpg

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

2 Not allowed!
    I didn't see this until now. Very cool!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Ill get some more pics tomorrow but heres a full tank pic
    Snapchat-960753187.jpg

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on 3,000, have an oyster! (?) - Slaphppy7   For giving your daughter a tank, scaping rights included! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to all of you! - Boundava   sorry to hear about your knee. since you dont drink herea a slice - bpete   

2 Not allowed!
    Wow, that is really neat! Hope it works out well. I'm not familiar with your species (I've kept crawdads, but a different species) but that seems like a lot of livestock for a very small water area. Any signs of stress or aggression?

What a cool idea.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    So far no, I've seen the smallest ones hanging out right by the bigger ones. I'm hoping they'll stay peaceful at least long enough to breed so I have a reason to setup another tank.
    The water quality for this tank isnt a super big concern because i caught them in a dirty swamp.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on 3,000, have an oyster! (?) - Slaphppy7   For giving your daughter a tank, scaping rights included! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to all of you! - Boundava   sorry to hear about your knee. since you dont drink herea a slice - bpete   

3 Not allowed!
    I'd still keep an eye on water nitrite, nitrate, and ammonia. From what I read, that brown swamp water tends to be *very* clean, biologically, due to flowing through all those plant roots. I would think that waterfall down through the moss and pumice rock would provide quite a bit of biological filtration. Hopefully the plants will take care of the rest.

Looking forward to watching this project grow.