· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Flame tetras..

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

Default Flame tetras..

3 Not allowed!
    I recently visited a chain LFS, I saw they had flame tetras. I don't think I've ever seen flame tetras here and was really interested in them after I saw them online. I like their little stocky short bodies. They also have the rio color variant, and although they are beautiful with their yellow and orange bodies, I think I'm more partial to the original wild type with the black bars.

Rio
    929911880-1024x1024.jpg

Original
    8f8ee1886b2f858066e4aa406a240418_1024.jpg

I'm seriously considering getting a large school of 16 or so. The store gives no discounts for many fish and the price is $4 for 10. Normally, I'd take a plunge and get a huge school, but the only times I have, I've had to buy meds for new fish as well and lost all the fish anyway. I haven't had good luck at all with new stock.

If I do get these, I would start up a new QT tank and prophylactically treat these. QT will last 2-3 months. I would love a big school of these eventually for my 120g. The only problem is I'm still watching my fish in there closely and not transferring any fish out just yet. The stocking in my 120g is not what I had in mind for it though, a few random old tetras, 11 random angelfish, 3 female rams and a BN pleco. It's full.

I would like to reduce angelfish numbers to max 8. I would also like a male ram, and I feel I desperately need more tetras.

So do I get these flame tetras, begin QT and make room in the 120g when they are ready? I can't help feel I'm pushing it and looking for more problems, but I'm honestly becoming impatient because I've been dealing with the parasite in the 120g since June /17 and although my angelfish all together looks pretty amazing, I'd like to tweak up the school a bit.

Also what are opinions on the original vs. Rio variant? I'm not sure what the angelfish type colors will be, but I have 3 German blue rams and an albino pleco that is quite orange. My tetra schools are too small to be considered, but I may restock my lemon tetras. I would get red phantoms if I ever saw them again.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's a betta for you. - Slaphppy7   For your oscar heimlich rescue :) - BluewaterBoof   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

3 Not allowed!
    I am not familiar with these lovely fish but personally I like the original best. a large school would look great. however you may not want to rush anything if you have concerns with putting them in the 120. I would ask myself do i think I will have everything worked out before your planned quarantine is up? will they still be available at your LFS or others nearby if you do wait a while? if not can you get them online and are willing to pay for the shipping? can your LFS order them for you when you are feeling more comfortable with the current situation? other than that I am sure they will look amazing in a larger school.
    Brian

I wish I had a Fish Wish Dish.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on the Platy fry - Silbar   Congrats on the shrimp! - Silbar   I loved the vid - Silbar   sfsamm - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

3 Not allowed!
    Beautiful! And I like the wild type best also. $4 for 10 is better than guppy prices where I live lol if I had the space for another tank that'd be one beautiful school of 40 or so lol

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   

3 Not allowed!
    I agree, love the wild coloring as well. They would be a great addition to the 120, and I like your QT plan as well. Hope you are able to get them at a good price.
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's a betta for you. - Slaphppy7   For your oscar heimlich rescue :) - BluewaterBoof   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    I was looking up some info on these and found out that Cuba had a postal stamp of this fish.
    Rio-Flame-Tetra-Hyphessobrycon-flammeus.jpg
    Brian

I wish I had a Fish Wish Dish.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Tx bpete and sfsamm :)

I just called the store asking when they received the fish and enquiring about their health. They told me they got the rio's on Monday (which is before Monday because I was there Friday) and that they were looking a bit rough a couple days ago due to the water quality dropping a bit. They said they are looking much better after a WC, but I don't think I'll get them. I like the original better anyway too! The original came in a 2-3 weeks ago and haven't had any issues. They looked really good at the store, I couldn't see anything wrong with any of the fish and the tank was full of them. No dead bodies either. Lol, I know there shouldn't be dead bodies at an LFS, but I often saw dead fish in their tanks before. The store may have improved, but I'm not certain.
    @bpete thanks for all the questions suggested to ask myself. I will never be ordering fish again, it's not something that is usually available where I live and my last shipment was a complete total nightmare. I'd have to ask if they think they'd be likely to get them in again, but they usually don't know amd I've never seen them before at any LFS before. The place that shipped me the last demon shipment of EB rams and kerri tetras has them out of stock atm, but I just can't order from them ever again, so that won't happen. I think I give up worrying about that tank, I lost a lemon tetra a few weeks ago and another is looking old too, but I can't start over each time I lose an old fish right? Maybe I'll put them in my 90g if I feel the 120g isn't ready in a couple months. I'm getting really excited!

I may set up a QT tank today and get them tomorrow! Or the next day, better to make sure it cycles.
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 07-18-2018 at 07:55 PM.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Thanks Nat! The discount is 4 for $10 which is already a good price I see, so unless something goes wrong, I'll be getting $40 or $50 worth

Btw, the rios are pricier at 3 for $12 or 4.99ea, so it might just all work out with the wild type I've wanted :)
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 07-18-2018 at 08:08 PM.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    So I just remembered I'm leaving for 6 days next week starting Thursday. I'll be back on Tuesday evening. I'm trying to decide if I should wait to get the fish. The QT procedure I have involves using salt and paragard for 2/3 weeks. I think paraguard is dosed every 24hrs, (which I will NOT leave up to the dog sitter) so I might just wait until I'm back. I have to go away again at the ended off August though and I'll still be treating prolifically. Not a convinient time to buy new fish, but they are even more unhealthy in the winter usually. I really don't want to miss out, don't know if I'm rushing this though because I'm so excited.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by angelcraze2 View Post
    I recently visited a chain LFS, I saw they had flame tetras. I don't think I've ever seen flame tetras here and was really interested in them after I saw them online. I like their little stocky short bodies. They also have the rio color variant, and although they are beautiful with their yellow and orange bodies, I think I'm more partial to the original wild type with the black bars.
    Must be nice to have a "real" LFS, with actual healthy fish you'd consider buying...yes, I'm jealous

I'm seriously considering getting a large school of 16 or so. The store gives no discounts for many fish and the price is $4 for 10. Normally, I'd take a plunge and get a huge school, but the only times I have, I've had to buy meds for new fish as well and lost all the fish anyway. I haven't had good luck at all with new stock.
    Are you sure you didn't mean 4 for $10?....I know nothing about Canadian currency vs. the US dollar, but if I could spend USD $20 for 20 tetras, I'd grab them and MAKE them work in one of my tanks...lol, J/K

If I do get these, I would start up a new QT tank and prophylactically treat these. QT will last 2-3 months. I would love a big school of these eventually for my 120g. The only problem is I'm still watching my fish in there closely and not transferring any fish out just yet. The stocking in my 120g is not what I had in mind for it though, a few random old tetras, 11 random angelfish, 3 female rams and a BN pleco. It's full.
    How big of a QT?

I would like to reduce angelfish numbers to max 8. I would also like a male ram, and I feel I desperately need more tetras.

So do I get these flame tetras, begin QT and make room in the 120g when they are ready? I can't help feel I'm pushing it and looking for more problems, but I'm honestly becoming impatient because I've been dealing with the parasite in the 120g since June /17 and although my angelfish all together looks pretty amazing, I'd like to tweak up the school a bit.
    I know you'll QT from all of your past problems, any other tanks they could go into besides the 120G?

Also what are opinions on the original vs. Rio variant? I'm not sure what the angelfish type colors will be, but I have 3 German blue rams and an albino pleco that is quite orange. My tetra schools are too small to be considered, but I may restock my lemon tetras. I would get red phantoms if I ever saw them again.
    No contest, the originals...hard to find here in the States, buy 'em all.....gadzooks, I hope Lee (@steeler58) sees this thread soon, lol
    Last edited by Slaphppy7; 07-18-2018 at 11:35 PM.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Well damn, how's that for "late to the party", lol
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast