· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Thread: gill flukes?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your first cycled tank! - Silbar   For good luck with the fishkeeping hobby. - Slaphppy7   

Default gill flukes?

0 Not allowed!
    Two or three months ago, I noticed one of my fish occasionally
    rubbing its gills on the rocks. At the time, I was fighting a serious bacterial problem, and made a note to watch the behavior.

In the past week, I've noticed a couple more of the fish are rubbing their gills on the rocks. I don't see any white spots to make me think it is ich.

When I looked for treatment options, salt looked good until I noticed a comment on salt being harmful to plecos and catfish.
    Since the problem is contagious, treating the whole tank is probably the best thing. Not only will it kill of any eggs, but catching all the infected fish to move them to a hospital container would be very stressful. When I had to move them while getting rid of a particularly nasty bacteria, it took a long time even with nothing in the tank but the fish. They were traumatized and listless for a day.

Has anyone treated a forty gallon tank for gill flukes? If so, what seems to be the best medication on the market? My petricola cat is in there as well, so it has to be safe for him as well as the cichlids.

marc4

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

2 Not allowed!
    Usually the most obvious sign of flukes is loss of color in the fish, and lethargy

http://www.fishvet.com/Flukes.htm

You could treat with Prazipro safely, it's very mild...many here use it when introducing new fish (me included), and every 6 months or so as a preventative

http://www.hikariusa.com/wp/solution...haid/prazipro/
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas to you and your family :-) - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you too! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Congrats! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    Yes, I second on the Prazipro.
    Gill Flukes are very hard to get rid of because their life-cycle is slow and complicated.

To get rid of them often takes longer than what is recommended on the back of the Prazipro bottle.
    I treated my discus for Gill Flukes and used the 21 day dosing cycle. You may be lucky with eradication of flukes by the timeline on the bottle- but it will be just that, you got lucky and dosed at the proper stage to get rid of them.
    But, often you will get rid of one life-stage but not the other, and the fish will only have temporary relief.

That said, I would recommend this regimen:

Dose 3 days on and 4 days off.
    Day 1 50% WC and full dose
    Day 2 50% WC and full dose
    Day 3 50% WC and full dose

Days 4-7 50% WCs everyday

I repeated this process for 3 weeks and never had another outbreak in tank.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Wow, you know your stuff. I didn't know that about gill flukes.
    I must have gotten lucky when I brought in gill flukes rescuing some fish. I noticed an issue right away and dosed once with Prazi for 7 days like on the bottle. The fish showing symptoms was better the very next day, color had returned, no longer was there fish pouting in the corners. I don't think I noticed any rubbing, but I think the gills were enflamed and fish looked like they were breathing heavily.
    Last edited by Slaphppy7; 07-17-2018 at 12:45 AM.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat