· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Hi there fellow fish keepers

1 Not allowed!
    I've been keeping fish since I got my first place (almost 30 yrs ago - Wow, hard to believe how fast the time flies). I love plants so my tanks are usually heavily planted and lightly populated. Peering in on natural, underwater worlds is very enjoyable to me and watching fish swim and do their thing is very relaxing. I look forward to sitting by my tank and enjoying it each evening.

Over the years, besides having guppies breed in my tank <grin>, I've had luck with corydoras back in 2004. Seeing the little cories grow was enjoyable but I ended up with a LOT of cories. I found a fish store that was happy to take them. I put some angelfish in the tank and that took care of future population explosions. Eggs were usually eaten before any hatched.

I can vouch for Tetra Weekend Feeders as I've had a couple of fish survive eating that and zucchini once a week for a couple of years when I I was living about an hour's drive from my fish.

I've had odd things in my tank like amphipods and planaria that must have come in with plants over the years. The amphipods sure do multiply. Is there a fish that would help keep that population down? Not sure what would eat the planaria. After moving the tank and cleaning it, many amphipods were eliminated, but not all. I've seen an amphipod at least once since the move.

I like to feed my fish a varied diet of pellets, flake, frozen, and fresh. Kept fresh salad (anachris) in the tank for the goldfish. My fish were fed shelled peas and blanched zucchini. They get a small amount of live baby brine shrimp on occasion.

The most tanks I've kept simultaneously was only 3, plus a container of java moss/algae and another bowl that housed pond snails. Some of you have many tanks, I'm sure. Today I have just one tank, but I have moved to a lake where I can drift out slowly on my kayak and see all bluegill and bass at various growth stages, and peer through pond weeds to see several different types of turtles including a snapper with a head the size of my fist. There are/were 2 snappers out there that size and one was pulled out and weighed at 60 lbs. I didn't ask, but I'm afraid that one may have become soup.

I've made my share of beginner mistakes like overpopulating a 55-gallon tank with a dozen baby goldfish, putting goldfish and tropical fish together and cohabitating other incompatible tankmates. I'd like to say that I'm better about that now, but actually made the mistake this week of bringing home 2 synodontis babies that were about the size of cories and putting them in my 46 gallon bowfront which currently houses 1 adult ancistrus, 1 ram, 4 cories and 10 neons (and lots of plants). I didn't look too well and thought they were cories. All I wanted was to give my lone cory some company besides the ancistrus. The two of them were all that had been living in that tank for a couple of years, ever since a power failure put my fish in jeopardy and the rest of my fish didn't survive. So I added a small school of neons and wanted to get the cory some company. The ram was the latest addition. 1 synodontis has been recovered and returned. The other I have not seen since I caught the first one. I did pull out all my driftwood and plants to make it easier to find and catch him. If I didn't know better, I'd say he is not in the tank anymore. I did check the plants twice over, looked on the driftwood, picked everything up and looked where it all sat. No catfish. This was only Day 2 of the hunt. I've got 11 more days to return him for a refund. The fish was selling for $15.98 but I paid $3.48 as the kids at the store also thought they were cories.

I've got a new light for my aquarium that has the night bulbs and it is nice to see at night when the house is dark. I think it is pretty cool but it hasn't helped me find that catfish yet.

Does anyone out there have experience moving fish from city water to well water softened with potassium (not sodium)?

Do you think a 46-gallon bowfront with lots of plants, including some floating plants, would be getting overpopulated if I added a blue gourami or a pearl gourami to a tank that currently housed 1 gold ram, 4 cories, 1 Ancistrus, and 10 neons (and that damned synodontis that has been impossible to find).

Well, I'm looking forward to reading the forums and chatting with the rest of you. Thanks and have a good weekend.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's  to getting well! - Rue   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   A cup of coffee to get your day started. - gadget228   For 10K posts, finally - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - Boundava   
    HIV/AIDS - William   Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - William   

0 Not allowed!
    Hi and welcome to AC. We are happy to have you here!
    Do as I say. Not as I do.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

well done - mac   for you sick fish - mac   I'm sorry waylon!  Didn't mean at all to discredit you!  Sorry to hear of your crazy mean angelfish!  You taught me a lesson. - angelcraze2   For being a friendly memeber - mac   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    welcome to AC
    My Aquarium Journals:

LiveBearer Aquascape

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Very Nice Betta write-up - Jwfish13   Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Merry Christmas - steeler58   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

0 Not allowed!
    Welcome to the forum! Nice introduction :)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the rep! - WhistlingBadger   Thank you for your friendship - Silbar   Happy Easter - Silbar   Happy Father's Day! - Silbar   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    Welcome to the AC.

Try posting your questions in the General Aquarium section, or start a Journal for more/better responses than you may get here in the Intro section.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Gods Country, Eastern High Sierras, California

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday! - discusluv   Happy Easter - Silbar   Congratulations on finally getting that &quot;dream tetra&quot; youve been looking for! :) - discusluv   I hope you get well soon! - Silbar   Happy Father's Day! - Silbar   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Welcome to the forum, it's a nice place ;-)
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.” ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - RiversGirl   Merry Christmas back at you ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   
    Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Silbar   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Silbar   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - Silbar   

0 Not allowed!
    to AC!!
    Sil's 2nd Time Around 75G...Journal
    Sil's 75G...Journal
    Sil's 20L...Journal
    Sil's 10G...Journal

RIP Deb, we miss you.

Real courage is moving forward when the outcome is uncertain~~Fortune Cookie

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

And a happy new year !!! - Cliff   Season's Greetings! - Rue   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   DT runner up-you deserve a cookie! - Boundava   Thanks for the Birthday wishes. - Taurus   
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - gadget228   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - gadget228   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - gadget228   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - gadget228   Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus -  Animal Cruelty - gadget228   

0 Not allowed!
    Welcome to the AC...
    You're getting old when you get the same sensation from a rocking chair that you once got from a roller coaster.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome back! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Welcome to the forum! Fish sure can make themselves hard to find! I remember as a kid thinking our only Cory was dead as we couldn't find him, but then lo and behold he showed up a month later.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Welcome to the AC. I am looking forward to hearing about your adventures in fish keeping.
    Brian

I wish I had a Fish Wish Dish.